16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Citori 16ga?
spj
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:43 am  Reply with quote

Found 16ga Citori with 28" barrels, Inv. chokes, blackened receiver, pg stock. The gun is in excellent condition w/ three choke tubes price $1200. Any reason I should not buy this gun? Thank you for advice.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mtbirder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:51 am  Reply with quote

if as described, why have you not bought it yet and posted a photo of your new friend????
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Is it a gun you can pick up and handle in person? The only reason I can think of for not buying is if you don't like the way it feels or it fits you poorly. Other than that, if you like it, get it.

TripleH
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Or if it is for sale on Armslist....in my experience every single "awesome deal" I've found on that website has been a scam.

But if you are confident in the seller that sounds like a great buy at that price point. Even if it doesn't fit you perfectly or you hate it for some reason you aren't going to lose money turning that around.
spj
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

TripleH wrote:
Or if it is for sale on Armslist....in my experience every single "awesome deal" I've found on that website has been a scam.

But if you are confident in the seller that sounds like a great buy at that price point. Even if it doesn't fit you perfectly or you hate it for some reason you aren't going to lose money turning that around.

I looked it over and it feels ok quite similar to 20ga 3" B.C. Miroku for Charles Daly I used to own. It is little heavy by game gun standards, but that is ok because it comes with modern steel and choke tubes so I can use standard and heavy loads plus all types of non-tox shot not just Bismuth, HeavyShot Classic Doubles or Tungsten Matrix.
How reliable is single selective trigger when switching from weak <1oz offerings to magnum 1&1/4oz green/yellow boxed Remingtons? Is it as reliable as mechanical one once used in now discontinued BSS? I'm asking about the trigger because one friend had old Beretta with inertia trigger that needed standard or heavy loads to move the weight so top barrel could be fired. Another guy had old A.H. Fox with single non-selective trigger that would only work about half the time. I do not want to face those issues. If your feedback about the trigger is positive I will take the plunge and buy this gun.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Square Load
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Have shot thousands of rounds through Citoris with inertia triggers and have never had one problem.

This sounds like a real deal to me.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
mtbirder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Is it a gun you can pick up and handle in person? The only reason I can think of for not buying is if you don't like the way it feels or it fits you poorly. Other than that, if you like it, get it.

Remember, fit can be adjusted. I am currently having stock work and a recoil pad (to extend LOP) added to mine. I guess if you have reservations about alteration, maybe not for you. But, mine's a hunting tool - one which I will never worry about resale value.

For the price, if alteration is needed - a couple hundred bucks more and you still have a nice addition to the arsenal.......
wellshooter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Good price. Great gun !

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
spj
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

mtbirder wrote:
WyoChukar wrote:

Remember, fit can be adjusted. I am currently having stock work and a recoil pad (to extend LOP) added to mine. I guess if you have reservations about alteration, maybe not for you. But, mine's a hunting tool - one which I will never worry about resale value.

For the price, if alteration is needed - a couple hundred bucks more and you still have a nice addition to the arsenal.......

Yes, even build to fit gun will eventually have to be modified as the owner ages. Not a big deal just part of life. The gun fits me well no worse than any other mass produced gun. I checked ammo availability and it is acceptable to me even Walmart had couple different loads. You convinced me I'm going to pick up the gun in couple of weeks. Thank you.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Do you have the deal locked in? If you wait a couple weeks, it may disappear!
gunsrus
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:12 am  Reply with quote

Was the Fox a 16 gauge ? Any specifics about that gun ? Do you have a contact ? I am interested . Thanks .
spj
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:15 am  Reply with quote

gunsrus wrote:
Was the Fox a 16 gauge ? Any specifics about that gun ? Do you have a contact ? I am interested . Thanks .

The 16ga Fox Sterlingworth of Philadelphia was in good shape with Whiteline pad and single non-selective trigger trigger I have never seen before. The fitting was not particularly well done so i'm sure it was some kind of after market alteration. It was terrible as one had to hit the butt pretty hard against steel toed shoe to make it re-set when testing with snap caps. I told him not to buy it , but he did and as I suspected it did not function well with live ammo. He traded that gun shortly thereafter for 16ga Simpson from Thuringen Germany. The Sauer-ish looking Simpson isn't bad. It is light and has all Germanic bells and whistles including cheek piece, sling swivels, and Mod/Full choke combo. Current whereabouts of A.H. Fox gun are unknown.
gunsrus
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:45 am  Reply with quote

Thanks , I was looking for a Fox factory single trigger gun .
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

spj wrote:
Found 16ga Citori with 28" barrels, Inv. chokes, blackened receiver, pg stock. The gun is in excellent condition w/ three choke tubes price $1200. Any reason I should not buy this gun? Thank you for advice.

Grab that gun, pay the $1200, and never look back. You will not regret it.

Like so many other 16 ga. Citori owners, I've never had an issue caused by the gun in my fairly long experience w/ the model. I've had a couple of failures to fire and have witnessed some when we were loading recently manufactured Remington RGL factory loads in Citori models (and a few other guns), but the problem was related to the poor quality and/or poor fitting industrial grade primers lately being used in RGL factory ammo (RGL factory ammo made a decade or so ago was very dependable in my experience--go figure).

My own reloads using the RGL hulls have been very dependable, but I'm very careful about choosing dependable primers and seating them. That says it all IMO.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:25 am  Reply with quote

The gun can be refitted, unless the comb is too low. Then you would be looking at restocking or adding material to the comb (often considered unsightly on a nice gun). Of course if you pay someone else to do the fitting the "deal" isn't as good. If you always wanted a properly fitted gun then the bargain gets you that much closer.

I have had a few guns with single triggers, selective and non, that gave me some troubles. With the exception of the Tristar, all were remedied by adjusting engagement tension on the "tumbler" or "sear lifter" mechanism. Pardon me if I didn't use the proper terminology there.