16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  IMR Red/Green/Blue: Any field reports?
bbrown
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:31 am  Reply with quote

It looks like these new powders are in stock in pretty much all of the online sources. I have read all of the previous posts on these, but have any of you loaded and shot any of this powder? Good, bad, indifferent?

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
Carlos
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Green Dot is highly regarded as a 16 gauge powder for light to medium loads. There is plenty of data.

Green Dot is also very useful in pistol reloading and for gallery loads in rifles. A real all-round powder.

I have no experience with Blue Dot, and red Dot is generally a bit too fast for the sixteen.
bbrown
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Carlos. I am definitely familiar with the Dot versions of these. I use Red Dot, Green Dot, and Unique for almost all of my loading for pistols and shotguns.

I know the IMRs are listed as direct copies, but I was hoping to see if anyone had loaded any of the IMR and could tell us if they are happy with the powder.

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:58 am  Reply with quote

I looked at the price list for an annual purchase opportunity with a gun club and the IMR color series was priced about the same as the Alliant originals. As such, I am unsure that many of us are ready to jump ship and help Hodgon Co. establish a monopoly. Alliant has been good to us and hasn't made a habit of canceling production of any of their powders like Hodgon did with PB, 7625, and 4756. That reason alone has me sticking with Alliant with these particular powders.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:26 am  Reply with quote

Wyo,

IMR PB, SR7625, SR4756 etc were well known to be expensive to manufacture. That information was around since I can remember, at least 25 years ago maybe longer.

It was only a matter of time before IMR/Hodgdon was going to have to pull the plug when sales faltered.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:48 am  Reply with quote

Expensive to make, so what. They charged more and we readily paid the extra for 25 years while they still turned a profit. They have given me trust issues. I don't like relying on a product if I don't have faith it will be there tomorrow. I feel the same way about their new copy cat line. I believe can depend on Alliant for those powders and that for Hogdon/IMR it is just a passing experiment. Alliant has my loyalty for those particular offerings.

I was able to do things with 4756 in 10 ga. that other powders have not allowed: less powder to achieve the same result. That provided less recoil and more room for the shot column/ good crimp with my steel shot loads. I was a very loyal customer. Then Chris Hodgon seized control of the company and abandoned guys like myself. Soured me.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo,

Some of you paid that price, many didn't. I wouldn't and still won't pay $170 plus for 8 lbs. of powder. There are too many powders that will work just fine for a lot less.

I do miss SR7625, but not enough to pay that kind of money for it. Hodgdon wouldn't have gotten rid of it if it was a money maker.

The prices were getting high for those powders in the 1990's. I used to control and order inventory for Precision back then and we sold very little PB, SR7625 and SR4756 and less SR4759, when compared to similar powders made by others. The days were numbered for those 4 powders long ago.

Back then Unique and WSF were it for 1 oz. 16 gauge loads with inexpensive powder and then International & Universal came out, that was the end of PB and SR7625.

A company like Hodgdon or any company for that matter, looks at how much they paid for it, how much they sold it for and how long it hangs around. How long it hangs around is very important to a companies cash flow. If it hangs around too long regardless of the other two factors, the item becomes expendable because they are tying up capital that they could use for investing in and making a profit on selling something else that moves faster.

I find it fascinating that some folks on SGW have similar thoughts about Hodgdon getting rid of items, not producing items etc, as if this was a big conspiracy......it isn't a conspiracy they are trying to be profitable is where it starts and ends.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting thread, but none of it answers the question the OP stated: Are the IMR Red/Green/Blue the equivalents of Alliant's Dots or not?

This is not some academic question for me and some of my friends in Maine. We seem to be off in a corner of the map and still have problems getting powders. When we get them, they seem to be a couple bucks a pound more than anywhere else.

Case in Point: this past week I finished a project in NC and, having a free day before having to travel home, toured a couple gun stores. The one was selling 8# of Unique for $160, the single pound was $22. Red Dot for $23 or $24 the single pound. You can add $3 to $5 a pound to those prices in Maine and that's if you can find Unique, which you can't. Today one of my friends told me he has about given up on finding Red Dot and is going to find a new load for his target rounds that he can make with powders he can get.

The IMR colors appear to be available AND there's the rumor about today's Green Dot being different than the GD we all knew and loved. So it would be nice to know.

Inquiring minds want to know....

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

$170? Ouch. I bought some #8 cans right after I found it was being discontinued for $141. I paid $120 for 800-x in the same order. $21 more per 8 lb. keg was well worth it when I use 25% less in those big 10's compared to other suitable powders. That more than negated the price difference.

The difference in price I see on the gun club price list shows IMR variants at $4 less per 8 lb. container, not very significant.

As to the OP, I may not be too trusting of Hodgon's loyalty to us and that they will keep making the stuff but I am confident that they, as noted above, do want to stay in business. As such they would not publish the same data as on the Aliant site if it wasn't accurate-liability.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:36 am  Reply with quote

be nice if they posted the new data with the old maybe in a different listing . Kinda like if the old AA was in there next to the HS . ( I know that is a bad example as both 12ga AA's are the same - just an example )