16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Range Day Win 24/Browning A5 Sweet 16 new
Ptm
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

Took out my new to me Win model 24 and the new A5. I have always wanted the 24 and started off with it. It was better than I thought I was reall knocking them down with the old utility gun I gave it the acronym UBD ugly but deadly. I then grabbed the A5 unfortunately on the first shot the stock broke, I did break the clay but this stock had highly figured wood so it was a real bummer, Scheels believes there was possibly a existing crack that wasnt visible. It's off to Browning with the spent cartridge which was a factory 1 oz Remington Game Load. Hopefully it gets back sooner than later and has pretty wood, maybe the straight grain plain is more durable, trying to stay calm and go with the flow.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Bummer Shocked Crying or Very sad Hope they take care of you.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Ouch, not cool. Hopefully it didn't splinter your hand. I am a total sucker for pretty wood, but if it runs the wrong direction through the wrist/ grip then trouble is brewing and failure knocking on the door. You can however get away with it on a "draw bolt/ through the stock bolt" type of gun by using an aluminum sleeve epoxied in place.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 am  Reply with quote

wow that sucks , hope they get you back up
and running soon

Last edited by fn16ga on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
df
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:15 am  Reply with quote

I had that happen on an A5 12 ga several years ago. It was new, and broke completely through on the wrist on the second shot. And it was exceptionally nice figured wood.
Sent it to Browning and they replaced it, BUT NOT FREE. I believe they charged me $250 or so. They did however put on a real nicely figured wood that was as nice as the original.
I have been told that Browning does not warranty wood.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

I would think that Browning should warranty the wood , If they didn't I would be pretty pissed off.

Blackbelts forearm cracked and he got a new gun. Think if my stock broke after the first shot I would have tried to return the gun.
lbrown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

The new Sweet 16 is supposedly under warranty for 100,000 rounds or something like that. Should cover the wood.
Ptm
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

I can post what happens if you guys are interested, Scheels offered me my money back which I thought was nice, but I really just want the gun, hopefully it is and I believe it is an isolated problem, I have a Marlin 90 on the way that will have to occupy my time. Oh and I am a Winchester model 24 super fan, I guess the only one that I know of I picked up 5 cases of Remington Game Loads that my buddy the gun shop owner accidently ordered at an ok price. Do you think they'll replace the gun or just a new stock?
Black Belt
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Ptm: My first sweet sixteen developed a crack in the forend after about a box of shells or less. I, too, purchased my sweet sixteen through Scheels. I called them and asked about send the forend back to Browning so they could send me a replacement and Scheels absolutely would not allow it; they said I'd never get a forend that would match the stock. Scheels insisted upon ordering me a brand new gun and simply swapping them out (with due paperwork, of course). Scheels is an upstanding business and does a nice job of putting the customer first. If you haven't sent your gun back yet, I'd encourage you to let Scheels send it on your behalf; I'd be shocked if you would ever have to pay for the wood if Scheels was one of the links in the chain.

Best of,luck and please keep us posted.
Ptm
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

They were fresh out of Sweet 16s and said they didn't know when they were getting anymore, so they sent it off, it was disappointing but I'm sure Browning will make it right, I really wanted to get some trigger time with that gun hopefully supply will catch demand.
Black Belt
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

It will be worth the wait. You'll love your new gun when it is happily back in your hands.
lbrown
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Reference the Model 24: I had a 2 barrel set years ago. Not from the factory, but I picked the gun up at a gun show, came with an extra set of barrels (not numbered to the gun). Both fit nicely. 26" IC/M; 28" M/F. And someone had done a halfway decent job of checkering the wood.

Some of the early 24's with 26" barrels were factory choked C/M.
sixteenclays
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:04 am  Reply with quote

In case anyone missed it in the general discussion, I too had my new sweet 16 stock crack Saturday on the first station at a clays shoot. I was shooting the same Remington game load. I am guessing Browning has a problem on their hands. I also suggest guys that haven't shot their gun yet get out and do so.