16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Sweet Sixteen Stock Split
sixteenclays
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:44 am  Reply with quote

I was really happy after shooting my new A5 at the first station at the Franklin, PA RGS sporting clays shoot. I hit 5 out of six and the gun felt good. Then one of my fellow shooters said "Is that a crack on your butt stock?" Sure enough it was cracked from the receiver all the way to the butt pad. I don't have a clue why it happened. I am hoping it as just a defect in the wood. I will get it back to my dealer tomorrow and off to Browning.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Seems like browning got into a bad batch of walnut. this is the third one of these I have heard about. I never buy a new gun design when they first hit the market for this very type of reason. I want one of these new A5's but I am biding my time to when the bugs are all known. I think it will make a great goose gun for field hunting.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

Bad luck, 16clays. I saw one A5 in the gun rack before the safety briefing but it was a 12ga and I saw that shooter using it on the course. Hope you get yours fixed fast, and right the first time.

The only problems I ran into were in using up some old 7/8oz reloads that sounded off on occasion. Got off one station clean after turning to factory rounds and my squadmates took the opportunity to "compliment" those reloads. Outside of the muddy conditions of Saturday, that is a pleasant course especially with the creek along the early stations. Does Castlewood hold any 16ga-specific events?

sixteenclays
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Yes you are right the weather turned out fine. I shot the entire course with that cracked stock. I did okay when I wasn't thinking about that crack. My brother spotted your Nebraska license plate but I never made the connection.Castlewood hasn't had a 16ga shoot that I know of. We have a meeting coming up and I'll bring it up. I am sure their concern will be the number of 16ga shooters available.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

The forend of my bro-in-law's Silver hunter split clean in half in his hand. The gun was several years old so Browning wouldn't help him. Fortunately Titebond did.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

The one time I shot at Castlewood it was a SxS event, and the first time I'd shot with someone using a damascus-bbl'd gun.

Saturday, we got hung up at a station where one of the throwers kept blowing fuses and a squad behind us caught up. The 12ga A5 shooter was in that squad, unless it was you and I failed my 16ga gun identification test. Shocked

Turned out none of the guys I shoot skeet with made it to the breakfast shoot at LCSA, but we do plan on hitting up the next one. PM me if you plan on shooting then, or a suitable public event comes to Castlewood.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:23 pm  Reply with quote

i am seeing a pattern here. Browning has plenty of wood problems and it raises some questions. My gut instinct is some sort of accelerated drying process may be responsible for some of this. It has been the case for some mighty spendy walnut coming out of Turkey in recent history.

I think it was Fabbri (or was it Fabarm?) that took a beating on that one. Perhaps Browning is rushing things to make a few more bucks. I know some of you love your Brownings but I am developing doubts. Hopefully they will work this out, we don't need the SW16 to be a black eye.

byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:03 am  Reply with quote

Remember the salt wood. Kiln drying has risks and it does not allow for cell collapse. Good enough for 2x4's . Air drying lets what will move, move and presents a much more stable cell pattern to the stock maker.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
dap
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

sixteenclays wrote:
I was really happy after shooting my new A5 at the first station at the Franklin, PA RGS sporting clays shoot.
I wondered where those 16ga RGL's were coming from. I picked up a bunch to add to my stash.

If you found any Herter's, they were mine.
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Byrdog, I was thinking the same about the salt wood boondoggle of years ago...
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

May be blasphemous to ask but given she's not headed for a beauty contest IMO anyway, why not just put a synthetic stock on her and be done with it?

Gran16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:39 am  Reply with quote

Hope they get the problem taken care of. I known I'd be pretty upset after spending that kind of money on a gun to have that happen after the first few minutes.
Cass
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

They may not have parts for these yet, at least in the US.

Mine was shipped with a 12 gauge choke kit. They sent me the choke tubes, but didn't have any of the t-wrenches (or any choke tool that will fit the 16ga DS chokes) in the US. They supposedly have them now and are sending me one.

Cass
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

If this new A5 stock cracks in the right place then the pistol grip problem would be on the way to a solution.
Blessings often arrive in a disguise.
flyline
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

The second time I used mine on clays, the operating handle flew off and could not be found. I called customer service/parts dept. and informed them of my dilemma. They said no problem. That was in December. No parts available. I was told late Feb., early March in January. As of today's call, nothing. Very disappointed.