16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  20 ga. Spred-R Disks in 16 ga. shell?
ninepointer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

So I've got a bag full of 20 ga. Polywad Spred-R disks that I'll probably never use up. I've also got a tight-choked 16 ga. whose patterns I'd like to open. I think I'll try loading some 16 ga. shells using the 20 ga. spreaders and see what the patterns look like on paper. Anyone here tried this before?
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Yep,works.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:34 am  Reply with quote

Read here http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19872
setterpie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:01 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:

Thanks for pointing him to that thread!

My experience with the components I have on hand (Rem Hull, CB and Rem Wads, Int, Universal, Longshot, 9, 8 & & 6 shot, 16 & 20 ga Spred-Rs), is that the inserts open the pattern up fast. Turns my Full choke gun into Cylinder. Haven't done enough work with the 20 ga insert to say anything other than I think it won't up things up as much as the 16 ga one does. Would have to directly compare heavier charges like 7/8 oz and 1 oz with each size insert to make a good comparison.

What range are your looking for ninepointer? Unless you're using a heavier charge of small shot, or stack the load under and above the spreader to help the core, I don't think you'll get a useful pattern beyond 22 or 23 yards.
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:26 am  Reply with quote

try putting the spreader on top of some of the shot and the rest of the shot on top of the spreader.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
ninepointer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

setterpie wrote:
fn16ga wrote:

What range are your looking for ninepointer? Unless you're using a heavier charge of small shot, or stack the load under and above the spreader to help the core, I don't think you'll get a useful pattern beyond 22 or 23 yards.

I'm talking WC & grouse, 25 yards max, most between 10-20 yards. Thanks for starting that thread; the results were interesting. I'll see what my gun does.
setterpie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

ninepointer wrote:

I'm talking WC & grouse, 25 yards max, most between 10-20 yards. Thanks for starting that thread; the results were interesting. I'll see what my gun does.

I think you'll be in good shape at those distances (10-20).

It's been mentioned already, but if you tinker with putting some shot over the spreader you should probably be able to get a wide disbursement and still have a strong enough core at 25 yards. Would have to look around for some old patterning sheets, but with something like 8 shot I don't think you'd even need a full 1/8 oz of shot over the spreader. 7/8 oz under the spreader and something like 20 or 30 grains over it should work.

edit, found old patterns on my computer with 6 shot. Was loading 390 grains under and 75 grains over the spreader (in a 1 1/8 oz load recipe). Was too inconsistent to be of any use at 25 yards. Was better off just shooting an ounce of chilled 6 at that distance. You might have more success with harder, smaller shot.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

Please take note. Centering the stem and cap of a 20 gauge Polywad spreader insert into a 16 gauge shot column with a 16 gauge wad guide might be a bit tougher to do than with a 16 gauge insert. It's important to check and correct any poorly centered inserts before forming and closing the crimp. Otherwise you might get some inconsistent results.

Also, best make sure your crimps are well formed and firmly closed over the insert cap and the shot load. My only failures with these inserts were with a couple of loads assembled into hulls with worn case mouths. The resulting weak crimps caused the patterns not to open well. I ruined a couple of birds before I figured out what the cause was. The problem disappeared after I went to once fired hulls only for my spreader loads.
lbrown
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:37 am  Reply with quote

Years ago, I compared 16ga discs to 20ga discs to modified 16ga discs. The modification I did was to make 3 half moon cuts around the periphery of the disc, using a paper punch. Similar to the modification Jay makes, except he punches small holes through the discs. Thought mine might work well to keep a decent central core.

Worked pretty well. The unmodified 16ga discs resulted in the most spread, but a somewhat weak center. The 20ga discs resulted in more pellets in the center. My modified 16ga discs seemed to fall in between the other two: Good spread but strong enough center. Easy enough to make them up while you're watching TV.