16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Suggestions for a quick read?
TripleH
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:43 am  Reply with quote

About to hop on a plane for about 3 hours. Any suggestions for a good read for the plane that I can snag off the kindle store?

Preferably shotgun, upland, etc. related but open to anything that keeps me from getting rooked into minecraft with the offspring... Smile

Thought there was a thread around here with book suggestions but hell if I can find it.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:29 am  Reply with quote

ANY of the Havilah Babcock books

https://www.amazon.com/My-Health-Better-November-Thirty-Five-ebook/dp/B01M29KOGA/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1487615518&sr=1-1&keywords=havilah+babcock

Mike

scraggley
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Boys in the Boat by Daniel Brown Olympic team from the US beat the Nazi best!

Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly. 110 pages related to the disease known as spring turkey hunting. Not a "how to", but a funny account of the "why". Anything by Guy de la Valdene--Fragrance of Grass and For a Handfiul of Feathers are two of his best upland books. Gil
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know if the Kindle stoe has it, but Gene Hill's, Shotgunner's Notebook is always a fine companion and a must for any upland library.
TripleH
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I'll add them to my list for future reads.

I ended up going with "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science" by Bob Brister.

I made it through about 70% of the book on the flight back from Florida.

Really entertaining read, and full of a lot of fantastic info. Especially enjoying the information he presents on quality of shot and impact on patterns, and the work he did on the "moving" pattern board and info on shot strings.

Seems every time I take a crack at learning more about all of this I end up thinking I know less and less! Smile
Rob
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

One of my favorites for informative works. This is the book that got to me to start testing loads and patterns since I had read a wide range of "opinions". After many years I concluded that Brister and Roster pretty much hit the nail on the head and much other information conflicted with my own tests.

The moving pattern tests cause some debate but are more revealing than many would admit. Time of flight of an individual pellet indicates that it can only occupy a specific point in space during a specific moment in time. Meanwhile, a crossing target follows the same limitations and as such there is only a brief opportunity for the two to intersect at any point of the target's span.

This also means that the target does move the indicated distance during the time a pellet passes in front of or behind it. The length of Brister's shot strings as shown on paper would have been fairly accurate in terms of where individual pellets passed in relation to the "bird". Don't tell Wakeman.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

It also explained some of my "miracle shots" where a second bird dropped behind the one I was shooting at. Or dare I admit, ONLY the bird behind the one I was shooting at!

Black Belt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:49 am  Reply with quote

I know isn't bird hunting, but some of my favorite all time outdoors stories are from Jim Corbett. Corbett was and Indian born British fellow who hunted maneating tigers and leopards from the early 1920's through 1940's. Many of his stories about the encounters are short and a quick read. Corbett tells his stories well and is one of the least pretentious writers I've read considering what he accomplished.

If you've never read any of Jim Corbett's works I highly recommend them!
TripleH
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:59 am  Reply with quote

yeah Wyo, really finding the patterning stuff fascinating (to me anyway).

I've never really done in depth patterning. Fall into the camp of one of those guys who get by with throwing a half dozen shells at 20ish yards to confirm point of aim and "eyeballing" the pattern.

I'll be doing quite a bit here this spring.

Also was interesting to see his observations on 28ga basically throwing better patterns than they should be able to, as well as seeing his results with the .410.
Just when I had really finally talked myself out of "needing" a 28ga.....

BlackBelt - Will add Corbett to my growing list..
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Wyo C wrote. "One of my favorites for informative works. This is the book that got to me to start testing loads and patterns since I had read a wide range of "opinions". After many years I concluded that Brister and Roster pretty much hit the nail on the head and much other information conflicted with my own tests."

Exactly my experience! Very Happy
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:13 am  Reply with quote

"Gun Dogs and Bird Guns" by Waterman is a nice personal sort of read.

tramroad28
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Where Spaniels Spring...Ken Roebuck

Anything by Spiller, GBE, John Madson or Harry Middleton.
Beyond those, a more specific degree of interest indicated would add an additional 200 or so.
Murdock
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

Black Belt wrote:
I know isn't bird hunting, but some of my favorite all time outdoors stories are from Jim Corbett. Corbett was and Indian born British fellow who hunted maneating tigers and leopards from the early 1920's through 1940's. Many of his stories about the encounters are short and a quick read. Corbett tells his stories well and is one of the least pretentious writers I've read considering what he accomplished.

If you've never read any of Jim Corbett's works I highly recommend them!

Was just about to recommend the same author. Finished my fifth or sixth read just last week. Read for the first time over 50 years ago. Fascinating stuff. Loved the spaniel he took leopard hunting. Had the pleasure of introducing my nephew to Corbett's books several years ago.

Ithaca M37 16
Krieghof Sempert Drilling 16x16/8x57
1925 Browning A5 16 CYL
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

Rob,
If you have the time, Hemingway is still top Dog, Buckingham wrote some great stuff also. Spiller is still great stuff and always will be. I also recommend, L.C. Smith - The Legend Lives by John Houchins and of course Bill Brophy's original. Uncle Dan LeFever Master Gun Maker by Elliott is a great book also.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers