dukxdog
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

March 2, 2017
For more information contact:

Mike Bazinet
203-426-1320

NSSF Lauds Secretary Zinke's Downing
of Last-Minute Lead Ban

NEWTOWN, Conn. - The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industries, praises Secretary Zinke's swift action in scrapping the ban on lead by hunters and anglers in outdoor recreation that was passed on the final full day by the Obama administration.
"It's time to put ammunition back where it belongs; in the hands of hunters," Secretary Zinke said.

Zinke's actions, just hours into his first day on the job, preserves the ability of hunters and target shooters to participate in their traditions on the first day in office and illustrate his priorities.

"Secretary Zinke's rapid response to the previous administration's parting shot on hunters, target shooters and anglers demonstrates the true friend and common sense solutions we can expect from the Department of the Interior," said Lawrence G. Keane, NSSF senior vice president and general counsel. "The timing of the traditional ammunition ban on federal lands tells you everything you need to know about the decision. Likewise, the decisive action by Secretary Zinke tells you what you need to know and what we can expect from an Interior Secretary who himself is a hunter, angler and outdoor sportsman."

Zinke also signed an order re-establishing the Wildlife and Hunting Heritage Conservation Council. Originally chartered by President George W. Bush, the Council ensures sportsmen have a formal role in making recommendations on policies affecting hunting, fishing and shooting access and wildlife conservation.

Additionally, the Secretary announced he would appoint a senior political appointee who will handle sportsmen's issues on the Secretary's senior staff.

The NSSF led the sharp denouncement and reversal of former U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Dan Ashe's Director's Order 219, which called for the outright ban of the use of traditional ammunition and fishing tackle on federal lands in five years. Since the announcement, there has been a steady and growing appeal to strike down the order. The decision was drafted without input from industry and conservation groups, cited no scientific evidence upon which the decision was based. In fact, the order called for immediate implementation if any evidence was introduced, regardless of scientific value or verifiability.

Secretary Zinke didn't wait for the appointment of a new U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service director to overturn the Ashe order. Instead, he rolled it back as one of his first actions. Zinke stuck to his guns when he told senators in the Natural Resources Committee during his confirmation that for too long Washington, D.C., pushed out policy changes without input from states or local authorities and often without regard to the consequences of those changes. Zinke's quick and significant actions on behalf of hunters, target shooters and anglers demonstrates that sportsmen's voices will be reflected in conversations in President Trump's administration.

Zinke also said he believes that public lands should be governed in keeping with the philosophy inscribed on the Roosevelt Arch at the entrance to Yellowstone which affirms that our taxpayer owned federal lands exist "For the Benefit and Enjoyment of the People."

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

fred lauer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

OUTSTANDING!!!! Glad my vote was well used in this election.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

But it's just the ban that was entered in the last days of the previous administration regarding lead on federal property, not the lead ban that was implemented regarding migratory birds. I suppose the makers of Nice, ITX, Tungsten Matrix, steel and all are glad that it doesn't.
Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

It’s nice to see a little common sense come out of Washington for a change. I think this guy will help N.P. wildlife, hunting, fishing and all for the general welfare of both the people and land.

He rode his horse to work today in Washington D.C.

Good Hunting,
Mike
4setters
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

As AM mentions, waterfowl hunting has required no-tox shot for 30 years or so. Furthermore, any NWRs, WPAs or other areas that was established primarily for waterfowl management (all of them in my state) require non-tox shot for all upland game and/or shotgun hunting. I shot nearly two boxes of steel 7s at quail here and in NE this past fall, and loaned a friend shooting his Sweet 16 a couple of boxes of original bismuth loads so he could shoot legally (he didn't want to use steel in his Sweet). So, there already exists some pretty stringent rules in many areas.

However, the news is welcome, given the trend toward getting rid of lead nationwide that exists in some circles. Trump's two big-game hunting sons may be a positive for us! A hunter from Montana in the Cabinet doesn't hurt either!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
fourtrax
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:09 am  Reply with quote

HooRay!

tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

The reversal is a good one......one step toward eliminating hunting on NWRs, like Canaan Valley in WV, is noting that hunting is indeed declining on those NWRs.
A lead ban would appear to have required non-tox(so-termed) for woodcock in Canaan which could have served, to a degree however small, to reduce hunting.
Pricing hunting upwards is one old route taken by the anti-hunter crowd....and non-tox is one route to that upward pricing.
All apart from the absence of a negative affect of lead poisioning on upland game birds, of course.
While I have used steel 7s on woodcock, just to see, quite successfully....the bird does not deserve to be abandoned to the misguided efforts of those who care more for the idea of being a savior than caring to understand the real negatives affecting the viability of the bird(s).

I am not at all so sure that every one of Zinke's decisions will be so wise but.....one will see and we must judge each decision individually on it's on merits or lack therof.
mtbirder
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Pricing hunting upwards is one old route taken by the anti-hunter crowd....and non-tox is one route to that upward pricing.

This assertion always cracks me up. Coming especially from someone on a forum frequented by guys who buy multi thousand dollar shotguns.........

Anytime I hear the word "antis", or hear how the price of hunting is getting prohibitive (by any means), it riles me.
I have hunted for many decades, made a living of off hunting and fishing dollars for 30 years.
I belong to several hunting and conservation orgs.
I have regularly made trips to MT's Helena capitol during legislative sessions, in defense of hunting and all things tied to it.

This experience has led me to conclude that we hunters are our own worst enemy - not anti's, prices of tags/licenses, nor the cost of ammo.

Life is hunting and my dogs, and I will defend it to the end of my days. The hardest part of that defense is usually the internal battle.......

Sorry (just a little) for, and end of rant......

Last edited by mtbirder on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

mtbirder wrote:

This assertion always cracks me up. Coming especially from someone on a forum frequented by guys who buy multi thousand dollar shotguns.........

Yes, well......two points.

One, a route chosen is not always a wise one, especially by folks who can't drive or never have driven off the macadam.
Two, threats to hunter recruitment...recruitment of lads and lasses not buying high dollar scatterguns....are real.
Be those threats the loss of once open access thru deer leasing or simply the cost/ease required to head out behind the house and shoot a woodcock or a squirrel....as but two threats.
Or, because my scattergun being over, or under, some dollar amount does that serve to disqualify me from a comment re anti-hunters?
We all, after all, started somewhere less rarefied than the long room....mebbe.

Still, laughing is healthy so laugh ifin you must and make it a good day.

***Since you added to the above:
Rile away as you must.

Many of us have hunted for a good spell..for me, over 5 decades, and while I have belonged, off and on based upon their decisions and direction, to organizations related to life afield and have spent time in NF revision plan meetings, etc., I will admit that no actual living has come from it.
However, that has never been a requirement or attractive draw, for me.

Hunters can indeed be a hunters own worst enemy...especially so when selfishness springing from a personal hunting passion trumps sharing the woods and fields with other hunters...and, for me, with Dogs.
That tho does not remove from importance or erase from reality all the other factors of a negative nature in front of those of us who venture afield.
Antis working to limit forest management hurts many game and non-game species...while I always place Habitat and the Hunted above any Hunter.....those non-hunting obstructionist folks out there do not help hunter ranks grow...that they do not help the hunted and non-hunted critters would be a given.
Anything that requires a wallet to flop open for those with limits or with other spigots on that wallet can also hurt......locally and regionally, the hurt can be more than slight.

Thinking that there is one single large black hat affecting "hunting" is as wrong as believing that habitat is the only black hat worthy of concern for Bonasa U in the Appalachians.
Too many do believe that sad idea....to the bird's loss.
Let's consider never ignoring all that works toward increasing any loss.
mtbirder
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the discourse, Tramroad. Something I see as a takeaway, is the wide chasm of perception existing between the Eastern hunter and the Western (I'm assuming you're of eastern persuasion??). In my dealings with the hunting community, I see this quite regularly.
Hopefully we have some things in common , though, for the good of hunting as a whole.
And I do strongly believe one concept - that in these times, we are our own worst enemy. Don't get me wrong, I am immersed in the sportsmen community daily. We are also our own best allies.
The threats to hunting as we understand it, need us who stand to lose what we love to stand up in greater numbers - than less.
AN MLK quote comes to mind....""In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy I don't consider the Apps. to be the East but, of course, from a geographical point of view of the country as a whole, it is.
I live with that burden.

Many threats exist all 'round.

As before, my concern sits strongest with the Habitat and the Hunted(and not) rather than the Hunter.
But I understand the idea.
I also have come to accept and appreciate that as Hunters are a comparably small group they need the non-hunters to help their and Habitat's/Hunted's causes.
Non-hunters being seperate from those antis(sorry) against hunting on some imagined moral or mistaken ground.

If I wished hunters would do one thing seldom done, it would be to realize they desperately need the non-hunters....the aunts and uncles, gramps and grannys and all else.
Same for the gun owners.
Neither group can succeed longterm as a stand alone...imho... but it too often appears that they believe they can.
Each group can too easily turn off more folks that they turn on.

WE simply ignore help to our ultimate loss.......I can accept that WE lose, as Life can be tough but I balk at accepting that a critter such as Bonasa U loses for reasons as silly as thinking help outside of some imagined hunting fraternity is of scant value or being non-PC is some badge of brillance.
Extremes of any kind can be self-defeating of the largest issues....probably why I detest both camo and blaze orange as a uniform of the day.
Have a good Spring.
mtbirder
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Common ground has been struck - a loathing for camo Laughing
And habitat, and the critters, and dogs, and I suspect the 16.....

And this:

If I wished hunters would do one thing seldom done, it would be to realize they desperately need the non-hunters....the aunts and uncles, gramps and grannys and all else.
Same for the gun owners.
Neither group can succeed longterm as a stand alone...imho... but it too often appears that they believe they can.
Each group can too easily turn off more folks that they turn on.

A good spring to you too. Beautiful blues skies and the mid 50's in the Northern Rockies today.......