16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Store/display guns vertical vs horizontal?
billwolfe
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:09 am  Reply with quote

Dannyboy175 wrote:
billwolfe wrote:
In a locked cabinet or safe, out of sight to casual guests, vertically, muzzle down, in a gunsock to avoid little accidents n dings. +1 on Ballistol!

The guy at my local mom and pop gun shop said that you should never store a gun inside a gun sock, as the fabric would retain moisture. I kind of thought it was odd, because they market the gun socks just for this kind of thing. What is the real scoop?

Yikes!!! I'd also love to hear other folks' thoughts and experience with this. The gunsocks I use are impregnated with silicon--supposedly. I've assumed that acts as a moisture barrier of some sort. My storage space is a bit cramped and crude. and I worry about barrels bumping into one another getting in and out. I have just a few guns, all side by sides, and none of them go for more than a week or two without at least a visual inspection and an external wipedown with an Ballistol treated rag. Am I asking for trouble?
Cheesy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

Wood stocks I go muzzle down. Synthetic muzzle up. Allows them to kind of nest together.
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

billwolfe wrote:
Dannyboy175 wrote:
billwolfe wrote:
In a locked cabinet or safe, out of sight to casual guests, vertically, muzzle down, in a gunsock to avoid little accidents n dings. +1 on Ballistol!

The guy at my local mom and pop gun shop said that you should never store a gun inside a gun sock, as the fabric would retain moisture. I kind of thought it was odd, because they market the gun socks just for this kind of thing. What is the real scoop?

Yikes!!! I'd also love to hear other folks' thoughts and experience with this. The gunsocks I use are impregnated with silicon--supposedly. I've assumed that acts as a moisture barrier of some sort. My storage space is a bit cramped and crude. and I worry about barrels bumping into one another getting in and out. I have just a few guns, all side by sides, and none of them go for more than a week or two without at least a visual inspection and an external wipedown with an Ballistol treated rag. Am I asking for trouble?

I wasn't saying that what you were doing was wrong, just trying to understand what is best practice. The situation was that he was acting as the FFL for an online purchase, and the guy had packed the gun in a sock and then in a hard case, and then wrapped up in tons of duct tape. It was kind of a hot mess of a packing job. I asked about the socks and he said that they retain moisture... maybe he was talking about storing in a hard case and not just the sock?

jswanson
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:47 am  Reply with quote

I'm also wondering about whether resting on the butt wouldn't be less potential for damage or wear over time than resting the forarm and stock on a rack.

Do any of you have any input here?[/quote]

I have seen flattened recoil pads on guns which were stored standing on their Butts but this was after YEARS ( 20 plus) of storage in a hot Closet. My Guns have been in my safe for over ten years with no signs of this occurring. They do get taken out for frequently exercise however. I don't think it should be a concern.

JOe

tramroad28
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Scatterguns get dings from many sources.....afield and not.
One O/U I had was especially prone to the foreend checkering showing the effect of contact with my wedding ring.
Some particular of it's own, I reckon.
Much ado aout little.

Personally, I like to see dings and wear.
Like new, is a bit boring, to me.
Each of us have our own preferences over what bothers us or what looks best to us.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

tramroad28 wrote:
One O/U I had was especially prone to the foreend checkering showing the effect of contact with my wedding ring.

There are a couple solutions to that problem- the most drastic involves the wedding ring, but the easier solution would be a shooting glove.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, more than a couple of solutions but that scattergun eventually went away so.......kinda odd but....kinda small issue as well.

My dad always said that the only thing you can do with gloves on is whistle.
A bit of truth to that idea.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Muzzle down guy and wear thin shooting gloves when hunting, shooting and handling.
wellshooter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

When storing guns nuzzle up there is a potential for any excess oil to slowly permeate the butt stock. I had a used gun I picked up that had that problem.

That being said, that is how I store my guns. I just make sure they are dry and not soaked with oil.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:04 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
Muzzle down guy and wear thin shooting gloves when hunting, shooting and handling.

+1, muzzle down & thin gloves in winter/cold weather

pumpgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:48 am  Reply with quote

[URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/mmcevoy65733/media/guns_zps3b3ekhzi.jpg.html] [/URL]

Muzzle down unless it's a scoped rifle with a big eyepiece.
Griffon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

Pumpgun what is that ugly Blue Thing? Was it out in the cold Sat. too long?

manofthewoods
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:11 am  Reply with quote

I used to have a space where I'd store my guns in locked room with a false hinged wall, they were horizontal. They looked really good that way. But, since I'm at a different location I need and have a safe. Everything is muzzle down except my synthetic stocked Weatherby rifle.

I learned this following the purchase of a Rem 31T (darn 12g) with the most beautiful wood, which must have sat for years on the butt. It took months of special care to get the oil out of the stock and restore the wood. The recoil pad could have been worse, it is a bit flattened but not bad for a 85ish year old. That said, I do appreciate that the folks who frequent this site are unlikely to over oil and cause problems on their beloved firearms. I do it mostly 'cause it's cheap insurance, and, my safe isn't a showplace anyway. Someday however I'll go back to horizontal (fingers crossed).

pumpgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:38 am  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Pumpgun what is that ugly Blue Thing? Was it out in the cold Sat. too long?

We really should petition Beretta to put out a 16g A400.. Purple receiver. Then we can all be winners!
architorture23
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 am  Reply with quote

what about all of the oil that seeps into the forend?

wipe your guns dry and you won't have any issues from oil seepage.

also, silicone-impregnated socks will not retain moisture. in fact, they do the opposite. I have seen guns rusted when stores in regular foam cases, though.