16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Off Topic-- Stick Bow Pheasant Shoot
rudyc
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:39 am  Reply with quote

As for bow weights, Wendy, in the picture uses about a 40# pull bow at her draw length. Most guys are using their hunting bows and they range from the 40's to low 60's in poundage. Actually, a pheasant is much harder to bring down than you would think, the feathers and feather quills can be hard to penetrate.

The distance a flu-flu arrow will travel is based on how much fletching is on the arrow. Some archers like a LOT of feather and those arrows won't go much farther than 50 yards and they slow down QUICKLY. My arrows have a moderate amount of feathers and will travel about 75 yards.

I have a buddy that killed a deer in Michigan with an atlatl several years ago. For me, it's been hard enough with a stick bow@@#@@

silverhawk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Airbrush the power lines and thats the cover of a magazine right there. Award winning all around. I practice with syrofoam and plastic disks, but have't tried a pheasant shoot since 1974.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Outstanding!
I shoot Longbows as well, thought slipping up on a gobbler was tuff!
Great shooting
Gran16
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Great shooting and awesome pictures. Gotta learn to shoot a long bow someday good with a compound but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn without sights and a peep.
dave bulla
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

I've been shooting longbows for quite a while but have never had the chance to try that. Just haven't been any place that had the birds. I did try a shot on a turkey that launched about ten feet in front of me once. He was about 25 yards out when I shoot and I just barely missed. Crazy thing was I had no real plan to take the shot. Bird jumped out of the tall weeds and next thing I knew the arrow was going about 2 inches over its back. Never even bothered to look for that arrow.

As for how far the arrows go, that's been covered already. I will day though that arrow weight makes a fair difference also. We used to shoot aerial targets every year at the UBM summer rendezvous. I had a couple years where I was shooting heavy maple shafts out of about a 65 pound bow. Them things always went nearly twice as far as everyone else's. They were running about 800 to 830 grains compared to a typical cedar at 500 to 550 grains.

Sounds like this is an annual hunt. How would a fella go about signing up for next year and where is it usually at?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:43 am  Reply with quote

That is so cool. The closest I ever came to this was when my buddy and I would pitch a 5 gallon bucket lid for each other when we were teens. We never attained this level of proficiency.

Agreed about the photo. You can edit out power lines with digital photos so consider it if that is a high res image. Someone will want it.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:47 am  Reply with quote

Don't know about the atlatl, but my brother's best friend spent years hunting everything with a spear. The Alaskan brown bear was one of the toughest, allegedly because they were too fast. I am a pretty calm guy in the face of danger, but I don't know how well my underwear would hold together when a giant bear popped up and I was only holding a sharp stick.

jimdgreat1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

W0W!

I'm not very good with either a shotgun or bow. More practice is needed!