16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Thoughts on Chapuis 16 SxS?
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Cabelas gun library in Woodbury Minnesota has a Chapuis 16 gauge SxS for sale. I've been looking for a Merkel 1620 with single trigger and straight stock, and this Chapuis has these same features, and someone here tipped me off. I'm really not familiar with this manufacturer. Are they comparable to a Merkel? Would they be better than, on par with, or inferior to RBL shotguns?

JonP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

You might go here and try to find the same model. http://www.naturabuy.fr/Fusils-Juxtaposes-calibre-16-Chapuis-critere-25907.html

Chapuis makes a broad range of models and price range. My only concern would be that because it is unusual, it is overpriced. Been a lot of imports lately that are way too many $$$ for what you are getting. But could be a good buy....
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Chapuis Progress sxs in 16 ga and absolutely love it. Is well very well made, well balanced and it is my go to gun for upland. I also own an AYA #2 which is also a great gun but I like the Chapuis better. If it fits you well, or can be reasonably altered to fit you, I don't think you can go wrong. I don't have a very high opinion of the RBL from an aesthetic and weight perspective but I think they are solid guns. I would rank the Chapuis far above the RBL but that is more personal preference than anything.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
Griffon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:13 am  Reply with quote

I know absolutely nothing about a Chapuis but I have been shooting a RBL 16 exclusively (clays and hunting) the last few years and thoroughly enjoy the gun. They are a little heavier (mine is 6 3/4lbs) but I shoot this gun way better than a 6lb SxS.
RBL is american made and the customer service I found is excellent. I sent a RBL back to add a recoil pad and had it back in 3 1/2 days. I have sent other guns back to manufacturers for simple repairs and a 4-5 month wait ensued. If possible TRY before you buy and pick the one that flips your switch.

gunsrus
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:15 am  Reply with quote

Many years ago i let one go that I should have bought . Very nice guns .
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:47 am  Reply with quote

I have a Chapuis 16 ga. O/U and it's no doubt a cut above the average by just observing the materials, build quality, and attention to detail. I think they are at least as good as a Merkel. I've never owned an RBL, so no comment there.
studdog
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Chapuis is a solid brand name. Their double rifles are popular with dangerous game hunters. They rank up there with Merkel in every way.

spj
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

It designed to compete with mass-produced guns like entry level Merkels or CSMC SKB look alike. Not bad looking gun, but I'm not sure what extra it offers that Cabela's Dickinson or new SKB from Turkey do not. I was told one can get custom features on nice Turkish gun for around $2000. I would be careful French guns don't sell well in USA so if you buy and don't like getting money out of it at later time might be difficult.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

spj wrote:
It designed to compete with mass-produced guns like entry level Merkels or CSMC SKB look alike. Not bad looking gun, but I'm not sure what extra it offers that Cabela's Dickinson or new SKB from Turkey do not. I was told one can get custom features on nice Turkish gun for around $2000. I would be careful French guns don't sell well in USA so if you buy and don't like getting money out of it at later time might be difficult.

Anyone who buys a gun for hunting, and then hopes to get his money out of it at a latter time best not go to Las Vegas, it rarely happens.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Chapuis! . . . . Oh, excuse me. Must be my allergies. Hope you didn't get any onya! Wink

Chapuis make some pretty high grade stuff. Classy.
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:38 am  Reply with quote

Quote:

I am not an expert by any means and I don't mean this as a slight but the guns I have examined the Chapuis are a significant upgrade to the Dickinsons (also a nice shotgun) in material and fit/finish. I have not seen even one example of the new SKBs so I cannot comment on them.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Orvis imports Chapuis made guns badged for Orvis. They are quaility guns. Gil
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:10 am  Reply with quote

Chapuis, like many if not most French guns, has earned a good reputation for quality and value.
As always, though, "Buy the gun" based on its qualities. If it fits you and is well-made, go for it.