16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Rem. Special Feild
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

All this talk about Browning Sweet 16's has me thinking that Browning needs some competition. How about an 1100 SF in 16 gauge?
mirageflatter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

So is your question a generalization about the Model 1100 in 16ga., or a request for Remington to bring one back into their lineup? New ones might ease the price on the used ones, but maybe not. I'm tickled to have bought a NIB 1100 Special Field made in '03 on GB about six weeks ago. I haven't had the time or weather conditions to allow shooting it yet, but I expect it to be everything I'm hoping for based on handling it. I think that new ones would be well received because like me, I don't believe everyone wants a new Browning. My $.02!! Wink
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

I want them to bring it back, I sent them a e mail, this is their response:

Hello sir, thank you for contacting Remington arms. we rotate through the sub gauges and models so we will come back out with that sometime probably

The way I read this is "don't hold your breath" Razz
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

IDEA Shocked

Since the 16 gauge 1100 is made on the 12 gauge 1100 receiver

buy this

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/627758685

Put on 16 gauge barrel, bolt, shell stop, etc and shorten the barrel to the length you wish

Neat, HUH!!!

AND would be lots cheaper in the long run!

Mike

Ray-citori
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
IDEA Shocked

buy this

Put on 16 gauge barrel, bolt, shell stop, etc and shorten the barrel to the length you wish

Neat, HUH!!!

Mike

Great idea Col. Mike but I prefer twice barrels I only shoot semi's at ducks (yes, I'm a 350# wimp) I just think someone besides Browning should put out more 16 GA stuff. I have nothing against the big B, I own two Super Posed 20's and 725 in 12 and 20 (waiting for a 16}but will own one in 28 some day (when the wifes not looking) as well as several other various makes
spj
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
IDEA Shocked

buy this

Neat, HUH!!!

Mike

The only problem is that item is $600 to start with. That is why bid status is 0.

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Look at current Rem 1100 16 gauge prices and the $600 will seem small Smile

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19977
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

I'd be on board here if Remington ever decides to scale down the weight of their 16 ga models starting with the barrels. As of now, all they do is bore a full size 12 ga barrel blank to 16 gauge and add in the Rem-chokes. The finished 16 gauge 1100 models weigh more than the 12 gauge models. Most of the excess weight is out front where it really screws up the balance and handling. I doubt one of the 21 inch Special Field barrels would help.

Talk about idiotic. It makes me wonder if there's any intelligent life left in their corporate office. Laughing

Why bother. Buy a clean used pre-Rem Choke 12 gauge 1100 model and be done with it. Mike Orlen can cut the standard barrel to any length you want as long as it jibes with the rib posts. He can then install Colonial chokes. I've trimmed two 1100 barrels 23 inch and then had Mike install the chokes for me. Both guns turned out to be excellent for upland bird hunting. They feel much like 26" O/U models. I sold one to a friend years ago. He still has it and wouldn't part w/ it for all the tea in China. I still have mine and wouldn't part w/ it either. momma raised no fools. Very Happy

I've had mike do three older 12 ga 11100 models over the past two decades (one in 26" from a 30" full choke barrel). Based on my experience, you'll have a much better made, sweet handling 12 autoloader, and will be much better off for it all around. Much better in your wallet too.

Let some common sense rule here. At least think about it. Just sayin'. Wink
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

So I was just thinking, take a rem choke 28" Rem 1100 16 ga, attach a composite competition stock set on it, and fid a add-a-rib to top it off. We have our first truly dedicated 16 gauge trap gun!

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

The biggest trap shooting expense is the ammo. 12 gauge trap ammo will be easier to find, cheaper to buy, will give you far more load selections, and will be more effective on targets than 16 gauge ammo. There is also a far wider selection of I2 gauge components suitable for reloading excellent trap ammo if you wish to go that route. So this begs the question. Why not simply go w/ a 12 gauge 1100 trap gun, and save yourself money, time, and trouble? There are quite a few new and used ones on the market at a wide range of prices.

Don't get me wrong. Occasionally shooting informal trap w/ a 16 ga gun is fun. But it's easier to simply use a 6.75 to 7 pound 16 gauge field gun and 3/4 or 7/8 ounce loads for it. Why go through all the added expense and time to assemble a dedicated 16 gauge trap gun? It's sort of like having a pair of finely crafted hunting boots custom made exclusively for jogging IMO.

Of course, it's your money to spend and your choice to make. But just because you could doesn't always mean you should. Just sayin'.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

My first gun was an 1100 in 12 ga. Long barreled bugger. After a couple of years my folks bought me the special field barrel for my birthday (October birthday!) and I did the stock work. The gun and I got along well enough that I finished wearing it out.

That said, if Rem would properly scale one I would love to try an 870 SF in 16 ga. 1100? I just can't bear the thought of an auto loosing my 16 hulls for me. With a pump the last hull expended can stay in the chamber to be carefully ejected afterward. Less searching after the covey rise.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo,

Find yourself an older model as in 1960's model 870. They feel very nice and are quite a bit lighter than the newer models.

I have one of 1962 vintage, bored modified. What a blast to use for the pump events in sporting clays.

I will post the weight of mine. It is unaltered except for a Kick-Eez recoil pad.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 am  Reply with quote

There is one really bugger to convert an 870 to a true Special Field. Unlike the the 1100, the 870 used a shorter magazine tube and thus different barrel band/ring location. The shorter setup was enough to hold two shells in the mag and did change the balance of the gun. They really point nice. I did shorten a Win 97 takedown by 1 cartridge length but that was actually a good bit easier than an 870 would be.

I wholeheartedly agree about the old 870's. I am open to the possibility of an older gun and going to 23" barrel instead of the 21" since it would make a better balanced feeling and looking package. I am not that big of a pump and auto guy but I really love the pre Remchoke Wingmasters.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:03 am  Reply with quote

If you want a Remington Auto 16 gauge and can't find one you like, try the conversion of a Remington Sportsman 58 with a 16 gauge 870 barrel if you can't find a light 16 gauge barrel for the 1100. Unlike 1100 barrels, 870 barrels fit right on the 58, but they don't have a gas port under the forend ring , so you'll have to drill one -- copy what's on the 12 gauge barrel of that 58, or on an 1100. Then you need to make the bolt work for 16 gauge. Either find one or modify an 1100 bolt,or modify the 58 bolt to move the extractor in further. Then make the ejector work. I'm not sure if you can use the magazine tube and follower, etc work with 16 gauge shells, but I think you can -- might have to bush the tube and make a smaller follower (adds weight -- use plastic if possible). Will likely need to modify the shell stop, but I think the lifter from either a 12 or a 20 ga. 1100 will work. You'll probably have to d*ck around with the recoil spring, and the mag spring if you bush it. The skeet crowd of the late '50's and '60 commonly converted the 58 and the 1100 to 20 and 28 gauge, and some even to .410, before Remington came out with the small frame 870 and 1100 in 1968/69 and then quickly brought it into their line-up of skeet guns along with the 12 and 20 on the big frame. Later they even put the 20 on the small frame and of course, they called it the LW - lightweight. Sounds like a lot of trouble to me, just to get a Remington 16 gauge auto, but it might work for you if you've just gotta have a 16, and all you can find is an old 870 16 gauge barrel. Building a gun around a barrel seems uneconomical to me -- but I understand being 16 gauge nutz!

Sportsman 58's are very much like the ubiquitous 1100, are fairly plentiful, and cheap, because people don't really know what they are. I think they are a bit better looking than the 1100, FWIW. The 1100 gas system that removed the need for adjustment between light and heavy loads is the main difference between the 1100 and the Sportsman 58. The 58 was only a 3-shot gun, hence the "Sportsman" name, which dates back to the original 3-shot vs. the 5 shot Model 11, a practice carried forward with the 11-48, the 3-shot version of which was the Sportsman 48. The 1100 never had a "Sportsman" version, as one of the changes from the 58 was to get greater magazine capacity, hence they are different under the forend, resulting in a barrel which had a different forend ring than the 870/878/58. The 878 was a cheapified 12-gauge-only 58, and many of its parts interchange with the 12 gauge Sportsman 58, so it also could be used to make a gas-operated 16.

Why not just buy one of the old or new Browning A-5's, or an old 11-48/Sportsman 48, while you look for just the right 1100 in 16 gauge, then lighten the devil out of the 1100 by some stock and barrel back-boring (you might get 5 oz out of it without getting too radical), etc if you really want to? You can always unload the A-5 or 11-48 on this site, and probably not lose a nickel, once you get that "perfect" gun.

Cheers!
Tony
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:12 am  Reply with quote

A 16 gauge version of the new Remington V3 could be done easily. They could use the already light 12 gauge receiver with a light contour barrel. At the low price point of the 12 they could easily sell it for less then $900 and give the folks at Browning a migraine. Bet they'd sell a bunch. Laughing