16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  870 forearm/stock color??
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:54 am  Reply with quote

Need input from any 870 guru's please. + general input on color choice.

I'm dressing an 870 out as a Trap gun (16ga of course, thank you 16D) and looking at Boyd's stocks as a possible but they don't offer a "16ga" forearm. I know the 12ga butt stocks will fit up since I had a spare Rem 12ga English Special Field stock layin around and it bolted up perfectly. But not sure about the forearm. Numrich has 12ga forearms listed separately from 16ga ones so maybe not looking good. that's why I thought I'd consult the collective.

Also, thought this might be some fun. I'm on the fence regarding which color to dress the gun out with.The choices I'm struggling with are their;

Forest Camo, Re; looks cool and possible turkey hunt in its future

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/3u2172j1f110_sterling-remington-870-12-gauge-stock-forest-camo-finished

OR, Royal, for obvious reasons, they only post a pic of the 10-22 version but offer in an 870 stock as well;

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/3z2681w03113_blaster-ruger-1022-920-barrel-channel-royal-finished

SO, IF you were dressing an 870 out as a trap gun and were considering a Boyd's stock & the choices were FC or Royal; which color would you prefer?

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:36 am  Reply with quote

Neither, trap shooters are a serious bunch, and like BROWN or BLACK
Smile

Mike

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:15 am  Reply with quote

Hmm, guess I'll never be a serious Trap shooter then Very Happy I am holding my own in mid pack with the rest of the winter league and as far as I know I'm the only 16ga in the bunch. + putting a Boyd's on the gun will lessen the confusion some members have when grabbing guns off the rack. Rolling Eyes

Still would like some input from anyone familiar with the 870 and whether a 12ga forend would bolt up to a 16ga. If not directly, maybe a sleeve would fill the larger allowance for the 12ga mag tube.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Putzie , the only diff in Fore ends is the(barrel) channel . A 12ga will fit with a little extra space , but a 16 needs to be opened a little to fit a 12 . Have a 12ga "special" grade (from Rem Custom shop ) on my other 870 . That gun you have never indicated it had a fave color want !!

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Numrich's has trap stocks and 16ga FE wood

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/Shotguns-37896/870-41213/StocksForends-34305.htm?page=5

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:06 am  Reply with quote

Thanks 16D, appreciate the input, kinda what I was thinking and found this on USARifleStocks.com that was helpful as well;

"NOTE: A quick measurement of the slide tube should answer that question. The 12ga. slide tube is 1.080" and the 20ga. slide tube is .94"."

You must not have been listening that well, I'm pretty sure I hear a preference for Violet/Purple.

Thank you Byrdog, saw those and although a couple impressive examples I'm keeping as back up in searching for something off the beaten path.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:04 am  Reply with quote

Mike , I did the switch with my 870 and one the kid picked up that was a 12 - only had to remove wood for the bigger barrel - sleeve fit as is ... carefull about purple , that's what I ordered for the Pink Panther and the color they sent was "Pink Panther" It was supposed to be a "Purple Panther !!" It still gets a LOT of Negative attn. , but it has a thick skin !

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 am  Reply with quote

10-4, possible birds of a feather...thick skin (and in this case skull) & broad shoulders, bring it on... Very Happy

DanLee
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 am  Reply with quote

I would not get the Royal stock if I were doing any turkey hunting. It appears to have red and blue in it, and those are the colors of a turkey's head. There's really no reason to get a camo stock anyway. Hunters in the past did not fail to get their quarry even though they were toting blue steel and walnut.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Hmm, guess I'll never be a serious Trap shooter then Very Happy I am holding my own in mid pack with the rest of the winter league and as far as I know I'm the only 16ga in the bunch. + putting a Boyd's on the gun will lessen the confusion some members have when grabbing guns off the rack. Rolling Eyes

As a non-serious trap shooter w/ a 16 gauge trap gun, I'd expect you'd be more apt to let one of the 12 ga users grab your 16 gauge by mistake. Then stand by and watch the poor guy drive himself screwy trying to stuff a 12 gauge load in a 16 gauge chamber. Talk about fun to watch!!! Just keep him away from mallets or rocks. Laughing
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:21 am  Reply with quote

Definitely Royal!
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:04 am  Reply with quote

Not sure this helps much but I happened into a free set of Remington branded stocks, I think they call it shurshot model. Has the pistol grip and raised comb with newer recoil pad on it. Anyway the point was, with the 2000's run of 870's in 16 gauge it fit perfectly. I understand Remington sells them in black and camouflage.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31