16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Rem. Special Feild
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:13 am  Reply with quote

I vote for an early 16 gauge 870, if you have to have a 16 gauge Remington repeater and you can't find or don't want a lightweight Model 31. They are slick -- probably slicker to operate than a Model 31!
DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

The 1100 was built on the 16-gauge 11-48 frame. Keep that in mind.

Dan
spj
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:24 am  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
I vote for an early 16 gauge 870, if you have to have a 16 gauge Remington repeater and you can't find or don't want a lightweight Model 31. They are slick -- probably slicker to operate than a Model 31!

Why? The new Wingmaster with light contour barrel is very light and comes with coke tubes plus good quality walnut with cut checkering. There is nothing good about old Wingmasters. They aren't lighter, have pressed, crude cut checkering or no checkering plain walnut no choke tube barrel and finish that oxidizes much more readily than that found on new ones. There is nothing better about old 870s.

spj
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:29 am  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:
The 1100 was built on the 16-gauge 11-48 frame. Keep that in mind.

Dan

I bought one. Not a bad shotgun.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hmmm . . . . spj, regarding old vs. new 870's, your experiences and observations don't coincide with mine, but that's OK, neither do they change mine. By the way, I'm no great lover of the 870, and though I've owned a couple, and shot many more, and though I do not intend to ever own another, I will say it is a good gun and there have been few better slide action repeaters ever. Cheers!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
A 16 gauge version of the new Remington V3 could be done easily. They could use the already light 12 gauge receiver with a light contour barrel. At the low price point of the 12 they could easily sell it for less then $900 and give the folks at Browning a migraine. Bet they'd sell a bunch. Laughing

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked the V3 model out. Problem. Remington does not include the weights of the various V3 models. Why? I also suspect the self metering gas system is the same one found in the discontinued 1187 models.

A better option might be to find a used 1187 model w/ a light contour barrel at an attractive price. The cost of adding a light weight aftermarket synthetic stock won't be prohibitive. Just one more option.

Remington Corp. offered one final run of very poorly conceived, very overweight 16 ga 1100 models over a decade or so ago when it looked like the 16 gauge market was once again showing some life (mostly due to Browning's efforts). The guns did not sell well. No surprises there. Since then, Remington has been slowing but steadily phasing out everything 16 gauge in their product line. Why would they suddenly jump back on a band wagon which has been slowly losing ground again. Not going to happen.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I just checked the V3 model out. Remington does not include the weights of the various V3 models. I also suspect the self metering gas system is the same one found in the discontinued 1187 models.

They list it as weighing 7.2 lbs on their website. The gas system is similar to the Versamax with the gas ports in the front of the chamber and the length of the shell determining how many ports are utilized. It's nothing like the 11-87; BTW, the 11-87 has not been discontinued.

I also doubt that Remington will bring back a 16 gauge.

Dan
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

I see Remington ownership as a mass market gun company with little interest in smaller markets (o/u, sxs, single shotguns, six shooters, etc). Doesn't bother me, I like the 870, V3, Versa Max, and 1100 lines. They just aren't looking at expanding into small niches like 16 gauges these days. I can tell you a V3 on a smaller frame 16 would be a buy in my book.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Bought a new V3 a few months ago. Gun weighs 7# 2 oz. with a 26" barrel. So far it is the most dependable, best balanced, lightest kicking semi auto I have ever owned or shot. And it cost me all of $640.

It has absolutely nothing in common with the 11-87 or 1100 other than the fact they are all made by Remington.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo,

6 lbs. 14 oz.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo,

6 lbs. 14 oz.

wildlew
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

I had pick up a rem 1100 16ga years ago that some one had bobbed the barrel, sent it to briley and had chokes put in and then order the straight stock from Remington bingo pic to come.
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't read all the responses, so maybe this duplicates another one. The 12 (and 20) ga. Special Fields had shortened magazine tubes of less capacity. Barrel ring position on standard barrels didn't fit, so a standard 16 barrel probably isn't gonna fit either.
DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 am  Reply with quote

gunflint charlie wrote:
The 12 (and 20) ga. Special Fields had shortened magazine tubes of less capacity. Barrel ring position on standard barrels didn't fit, so a standard 16 barrel probably isn't gonna fit either.

That's true of the 870, but the 1100 had the barrel ring in the same position for all models. The forestock was shorter, even with the front end of the barrel ring.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:
I just checked the V3 model out. Remington does not include the weights of the various V3 models. I also suspect the self metering gas system is the same one found in the discontinued 1187 models.

They list it as weighing 7.2 lbs on their website. The gas system is similar to the Versamax with the gas ports in the front of the chamber and the length of the shell determining how many ports are utilized. It's nothing like the 11-87; BTW, the 11-87 has not been discontinued.

I also doubt that Remington will bring back a 16 gauge.

Dan

Thanks for the info Dan. Are the V3 and Versamax models an American design made in the States or imported? Not that several imported autoloaders aren't excellent. Some are very much so. I'm just curious here.

The 1187 not discontinued? As I understand it from a couple of dealers, the 1187 Premier models went out of production well over several years ago. All that's left are the remaining 1187 Sportsman Models still in inventory. Production has ceased.

I've seen the quality of these discount market models. Not even close to the Premier models from nearly 20 years ago based on my experience from having owned one made in 1987 with both a field and target barrel. With the standard barrel in place, My 1187 Premier model was 100% reliable if fed either 2-3/4" or 3" hunting and field loads. The standard barrel even handled some trap singles and all trap H-cap loads w/o a hiccup. With the target barrel in place, my 1187 Premier Model was 100% reliable, even with my cream puff 7/8 ounce skeet and trap singles target loads. And believe me, those loads really were and still are cream puffy. Laughing

But that was then. This is now. Several folks I know who have owned a Sportsman Model for hunting have told me reliability is not up to the mark. But perhaps that's to be expected considering what market they were manufactured for in the first place. Been there. Done that. No more for me, thanks.

We do get what we pay for, but only if we are experienced enough to know what we are looking at and are careful enough to shop smart. "Buyer Beware" has been my credo for along time now out of experience. I am a bit wiser but a bit sadder man from my own experiences. Just how it is I guess. Fool me once? Shame on you. Fool me twice? Shame on me. Just sayin' to nobody in particular. Wink