16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR16 and International or Universal
jbusch720
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:00 am  Reply with quote

I am trying to find a 7/8 oz. load to use in the Herters Cheddite hulls using DR16 wads. I currently have International and Universal powders on hand. I have access to the spreadsheets, and found a couple loads using International powder with the other components listed. I keep getting dished crimps with these loads. I have read a ton of the information on the DR16 wads on this site, and have tried a few of the tricks including 0 wad pressure. I'm not having any issues with the wads canting in the hull.

Has anyone else had success loading the following without fillers?
Herters Cheddite
7/8 oz. shot
15.8-19.0 gn (1150-1300fps)
International
DR16
Winchester 209

I know that Mike Campbell was getting great crimps with DR16 wad across many hull/ejecta combos, so I'm just wondering if I need to tinker with my machine more. I'm loading on a MEC 600 Jr. if that makes a difference.
rdja
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:15 am  Reply with quote

That should load fine, I have loads a bunch at 16.5 gr of Intl powder. May need to adjust machine, should crimp fine.
jbusch720
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:59 am  Reply with quote

My crimp starter is set fairly high. Would lowering be a starting point?
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:38 am  Reply with quote

Yes and lower the crimp die cam a SMALL BIT, did I say SMALL BIT

https://www.youtube.com/embed/apCrfKHUDGk

Mike

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am  Reply with quote

If all else fails do what some of us do with R-P hulls and Claybuster wads for 7/8oz loads and add a pinto bean for a filler. Works great and the pinto bean also punches a big hole in the patterning paper at 30 yds!

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

I've just loaded @ 2 flats of that load at 16 gr and Winchester game load cheddites. Crimped quite nice. What Mike said on the adjustments. Let us know if that does it for you.

Boats
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

I switched to International recently. First Load is 7/8 oz in Herters Cheddite hulls full length 2 3/4 inch 16 grs International Win 209 Primers. DR 16 wad no fillers. Crimping fine Moderate recoil very clean bores. Shot a half round of clays in a Parker Trojan using it this week. I did get 2 or 3 hulls open up in my shell bag dumping shot. But they are Cheddite and had been loaded several times. Few lost cartridges to be expected.

Half way around the course switched to a hammer gun with 2 1/2 inch chambers. Cheddite cut to 2 9/16 inch 15.7 Intl win 209 DR 16 11/16 oz roll crimped. No troubles at all with the cartridges and very clean burning.

Either one good target loads, 11/16 roll crimped load best under 25 yards. Not exactly apples to apples comparison. Trojan is choked tight .028 & .032. & 7/8 oz good to 35 yards. Hammer gun .015 & .018 and it needs a lighter recoiling load. More open choke less shot limits its range. Dropping to 11/16 oz makes a noticeable difference in recoil. It's also hard to get 7/8 oz in a short hull using the DR 16

I keep a few roll crimped spreader loads in my bag too. Same data as above with yellow Polywad Spreader on top of the shot. The tighter choked gun with 7/8 oz needs them for very close targets. More open gun they open up too much and with 11/16 oz have holes in the patterns. My Polywad experience in other gauges the same useful in tight chokes not suitable in more open choked guns.

Boats

Last edited by Boats on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
jbusch720
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

Success! Lowering the crimp starter and a small adjustment to the cam did the trick. I learned a lot about adjusting for different loads. Thanks to all of you for passing along your knowledge!
wellshooter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I load that exact load in 2 1/2" hulls.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
jbusch720
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

I shot a round of skeet with these loads today, but about half of the Winchester primers fell out after the shells ejected. Also, my gun was very hard to open after shooting them. I'm assuming the loose primers are the reason. Has anyone experimented with Cheddite primers in this load recipe?
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total
DanLee
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 am  Reply with quote

In my experience, Cheddite primers are not oversize compared to American primers. I suspect the original primers were some other European brand. I have found that Nobelsport, Fiocchi, and Rio primers will stretch primer pockets so that American size primers (including Cheddites) fall out. Wolf 209 primers from Russia did not stretch pockets, but they were pretty hard and in many cases the firing pin dimple was very small.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
jbusch720
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

This leaves me asking two questions. The load that I am using is published at 7,300 psi with W209 primers. Would a switch to a Fiocchi or Cheddite primer make the load unsafe? How much could velocities change if I was to substitute a larger primer?

Has anyone used Precision Reloading's Primer Pocket Correction Tool? It seems like it may take some extra time, but may not be so bad if you only have to use it on once fired hulls. Thanks everyone for your help so far.
DanLee
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting pictures from Mike Campbell. I went through three sleeves of Cheddites a decade ago, mostly for 20 gauge skeet in Remington and Winchester hulls. I am getting around to reloading the empties with Winchester primers and can't say the primer pockets have been stretched, meaning W209 primers are not an easy thumb push for insertion as one poster above seems to have found. Who knows, perhaps Cheddites have gotten fatter since I used them.

I shoot most of my ammo through 1100s of various gauges, so I'm aware of what loose primer pockets can do. I just haven't encountered it with post-Cheddite pockets.