16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Pitch
joe_dumy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

I had a gun fitted by the stock doctor and it fits perfect. But then I tried to do it my self with a different gun and matched the pitch that the stock doctor did and it doesnt quite fit and shoot the same. Want some advice as to what I am looking for to get the fit just right. I think the cant and drop are spot on but the pitch seems a bit off and before I lop a 1/4" off the stock to change the angle I want to hear some opinions of what to look for.
joe_dumy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure if this makes a difference but the gun the stock doctor did is and over under and the gun I did is a Remington 31L.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Go back to Dennis Smile

check the thickness of the comb

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
joe_dumy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Ya that would be the easiest thing to do for sure. Denis does great work. I thought I could handle this one since no bending was needed. I will check the Comb didn't think about that.

Bet everyone cant wait for hunting season, so I quit asking all these stupid questions and mucking up the forum.
tdnathens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Any measurements from a fitted gun are only useful for that gun. Those measurements are to make that gun shoot where you need it to. I have 4 fitted guns. None have the same measurements. Some are close but all are different.
Tom
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

Second the motion to check the comb thickness. A thicker comb will cancel out some cast off/on. Might also reduce effective drop at comb depending on how your cheekbone fits against it.

Jay
zoli 16ga.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:31 am  Reply with quote

A 1/4" cut off anywhere on a stock is huge. particularly adjusting pitch.....unless the 1/4" you mentioned was a metaphorical 1/4" ?

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:58 am  Reply with quote

I've found on fitting my guns, which are SXS's with POW or open pistol grip, that there is some variation in cast off, LOP, and drop, but pitch remains fairly constant.

Cast off will vary with the thickness of the comb quite a bit. My 28 ga DeHaan takes right at 5/16" cast off where a 12 ga BSS takes just a nudge over 3/8".

LOP is influenced somewhat by the relationship between trigger position and the shape and position of the grip. My nominal LOP is 14 1/4", but varies as much as 1/4" on some stocks.

The drop required is affected by the thickness of the comb. My drop at heel varies from 2 1/4" up to 2 1/16. I try to only purchase guns with 1 1/2" drop at comb and that constant seems to work fairly well.

I like my hunting guns fitted for a 60/40 pattern, as most of my shooting is on rising birds hunted over pointing dogs.

I built this stock bending jig to help fit my guns. Quite an interesting process getting SXS's fitted where they work properly for you. Stock bending is not for the faint hearted.

JNW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

You can temporarily adjust your pitch by putting some cardboard between the buttplate and the stock at either the heel or to. If you add it to the heel you will increase the down pitch. Adding to the toe will decrease the down pitch. Every gun is a little bit different so adjust each gun until it feels good and shoots where you want it to.
What kind of guns are these?
Regards,
Jeff
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Pitch is one of the least important things to get right in stock fit, but it is one of the easiest things to do. As Jeff has stated, it is easy to quickly try pitch modifications by using spacers. Just make square pieces of hard card (like the backing of a pad of legal paper) the same width or just under the width of the buttplate/pad, put holes in the middle, and put the screws of the buttplate through them. I have been known to use simple hardware store washers or fender washers. You can then go mount and shoot this temporary arrangement, too.

As for checking proper, or sufficient pitch: Have a friend help. 1) Mount the gun. 2) Have your friend grab the barrels and twist the gun while observing where on the butt appears to pivot on your shoulder. 3) If the pivot is high (off the heel of the butt), you need to space the bottom of the butt - the toe - out (less pitch). if the pivot seems low (off the toe of the stock), the heel needs to be spaced out (more pitch). This will actually be quite obvious. What you are looking for in this exercise is a balanced pivoting about the approximate center of the buttplate.

Pitch requirements depend on the shooter's chest/shoulder build. Even so, it would be very unusual to find the required pitch to be out of the 1" to 3" range when measured in the usual way -- at the muzzle. I look for about 2" in my case, and deviations of plus or minus about a half inch are no big deal for me. If you go through the geometry of buttplate angle and pitch measured at the muzzle, you'll find this means approximately every 1/16th inch of spacer under the heel or the toe yields about 1/2 inch of pitch change at the muzzle. This is rough, depending on gun length and heel-to-toe dimension of the stock, but it is ballpark, and I mention it to show you how little change is usually required, or important once you are in the 2" range of pitch measured at the muzzle. That would be: with the gun butt flat against one leg of a right angle, and the rear end of the sighting plane against the other leg of the right angle, the muzzle muzzle two inches down from the sighting line of the gun.

I use a nice square doorway with a hard tile or concrete floor to do this measurement. Stand the gun on the floor with the butt flat on the floor and slide it up to the door frame. Then measure the distance from the door frame to the muzzle end of the sighting plane or rib.

Cheers!
Tony Lowe

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:51 am  Reply with quote

By the way, pitch and comb thickness have nothing to do with each other. They are conceptually as far away and independent from each other in gunfitting as fish are from fowl. Cast, comb offset, comb shape (thickness and taper) and twist are intimately related to each other, but not to pitch. I think the introduction of all the comb concerns was from an inadvertent misunderstanding of the "pitch" word, this produced a little detour from the subject of pitch.[/i]
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:31 am  Reply with quote

On my Rizzni I had to ad space to the toe ( negative pitch ) to stop it from beating up my face , ( muzzle rise ) I had to Thin the comb and drop the comb to correct POI .
DES/TSD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Good Morning gents! Thanks for the good words. Set up an appointment. April 21-May6 is booked already. Everything else is open.

Dennis Earl Smith
The Stock Doctor

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

Brownells sells tapered spacers that can come in real handy for pitch corrections sometimes. On my 16 ga A H Fox Special the LOP was a little short and the pitch was about 2" where I require about 1 1/2". I was able to add a 1/4" tapered spacer epoxied to a Pachmayer SC-100 pad and ended up with it fitting perfectly without having to do any cutting on that 85 year old stock.

If you look closely, you can see the tapered spacer between the wood and the pad.

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

YES, I did the same on a Specialty Grade Smith

Mike