16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR16 and International or Universal
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:15 am  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:

Remington Premier/STS one piece compression formed hulls are still well made and are excellent for reloading in my experience. Even the compression formed Club and Sport Load hulls hold up pretty well for several reloadings, but they are getting harder and harder to find now since Remington has gone to polyformed hulls for some of their sport and hunting loads.

Which Remington shells are you talking about? As far as I know, Remington NEVER made a one-piece 16-gauge hull. They also currently don't make any two-piece hulls in 12, 20, 28, and .410; all are unibody designs.

Dan

STS 12 gauge hulls, there are no 16 gauge target hulls made by Remington or anybody else that I know of. Only hulls that were close to target type were the old Winchester 16 gauge compression formed hulls, I still have quite a f ew of them left.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:22 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
There are Remington hulls and then there are Remington hulls. Some are very good, and some are plain junk.

Remington Premier/STS one piece compression formed hulls are still well made and are excellent for reloading in my experience. Even the compression formed Club and Sport Load hulls hold up pretty well for several reloadings, but they are getting harder and harder to find now since Remington has gone to polyformed hulls for some of their sport and hunting loads. The older 16 gauge RGL/Express polyformed hulls w/ a plastic base wad manufactured prior to 2005 are often good for three or more reloadings.

The RGL/Express hulls made after 2005 have continually deteriorated in quality to the point that they are pretty much junk by now. Some split at the hull mouth right out of the box. So maybe we'll get one reloading if we're lucky. Two reloadings is pushing the limit. Three is a miracle. Laughing

DC has a valid point regarding the 16 gauge Cheddite type hulls. They hold up far better than the latest RGL hulls and have a larger capacity useful for the heavier hunting loads. I'd be using more Cheddite hulls for all my loads including my target and light hunting loads if I didn't have a good supply of older RGL hulls and the R16 and SP16 wads to go with them.

I use the Black Remington's for early dove hunts where I know I'm going to loose hulls in the weeds, they are still fairly cheap and available so it doesn't hurt as much to loose them vs better hulls like the Federals.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:

Remington Premier/STS one piece compression formed hulls are still well made and are excellent for reloading in my experience. Even the compression formed Club and Sport Load hulls hold up pretty well for several reloadings, but they are getting harder and harder to find now since Remington has gone to polyformed hulls for some of their sport and hunting loads.

Which Remington shells are you talking about? As far as I know, Remington NEVER made a one-piece 16-gauge hull. They also currently don't make any two-piece hulls in 12, 20, 28, and .410; all are unibody designs.

Dan

Yes, I'm very (and sadly) aware of this. I'm addressing Remington hulls in general. I figured most folks here would understand this. I'm sure they have too. Laughing

Yes, Premier/STS hulls have been made in every gauge but 16 and 10 as far as I know having loaded them in 12, 20, 28, and 410 in the past. I hope Remington plans to continue making them, but who can say at this point. Unibody hulls have been disappearing from most ammo lines over the last decade or so. Just how it is regrettably.

Remington has recently increased using polyformed hull for all gauges in their economy grade shotgun ammo lines besides 16. I think we'll see the the unibody Club and Sport load hulls disappear in the near future if they've not already been discontinued. It seems to be the trend--cheaper is better. Oh well.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

16GAwaterfowler wrote:

I use the Black Remington's for early dove hunts where I know I'm going to loose hulls in the weeds, they are still fairly cheap and available so it doesn't hurt as much to loose them vs better hulls like the Federals.

Yup. Good point. Same here. I've been lucky enough to have collected a very good supply of recently made 16 gauge RGL hulls at my club over the past four years or so. The other 16 gauge shooters there don't reload, so I'm welcome to the discards. I cull the splits and load the rest for as many times as I can, but it's usually only one time now and sometimes two. Free is good, but free and longer lasting is better. Very Happy
DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

Remington has recently increased using polyformed hull for all gauges in their economy grade shotgun ammo lines besides 16. I think we'll see the the unibody Club and Sport load hulls disappear in the near future if they've not already been discontinued. It seems to be the trend--cheaper is better. Oh well.

Again, Remington does not currently make ANY polyformed hulls except for the 16 and 10 gauge. The new Clays and Fields are Unibody designs with steel heads.

Dan