16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 gauge Cheddite hulls on Hodgdon site, terrible!
SXSman
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

I followed a recipe for a 16 gauge Cheddite load on the Hodgdon loading site.
It called for 16 gauge Cheddite hull, Cheddite primer, 19.9 grains Hodgdon Universal Clays, Winchester wad (I used the claybuster clone) 1 ounce of shot.
The load was terrible it didn't come near to filling the hull.
I suppose I could use a filler but that wouldn't be what the load was supposed to be.
Did I do something wrong or does Hodgdon not test their loads before publishing them.

Pete
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

I'd estimate that fully half the published loads I've tried wouldn't crimp properly. I wonder what the issue is myself. I do use a similar published load using universal, but with the SG-16 wad. Nice crimps.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 pm  Reply with quote

What he said X2^^
SXSman
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:30 am  Reply with quote

Thank you guys, I have ordered some CB0078-16 wads and I'll try loading the CB0078-16 wads and use a little more powder.
Pete
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:48 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
I'd estimate that fully half the published loads I've tried wouldn't crimp properly. I wonder what the issue is myself. I do use a similar published load using universal, but with the SG-16 wad. Nice crimps.

Your going to find that a lot as was mentioned, problem is limits of available wads the DR16 wad fills a gap left when Remington discontinued the R-16 wad many years ago, much better wad then the Gualandi (Sg-16). Remington stills use the R-16 wad in many of it's factory loads, I still have several thousand of them left and they do a much better job with light loads than most other available wads.
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:35 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
It called for 16 gauge Cheddite hull, Cheddite primer, 19.9 grains Hodgdon Universal Clays, Winchester wad (I used the claybuster clone) 1 ounce of shot.
I suppose I could use a filler but that wouldn't be what the load was supposed to be.
Did I do something wrong or does Hodgdon not test their loads before publishing them.

Pete

I would use the same data in a 2 1/2 inch hull and see how well that worked. I find that light loads in 16 ga, given the selection of wads available, 2 1/2" hulls are generally the best solution. I do not like using fillers as it is a PITA though I know a lot of people favor the cheerio!

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

If you want simple loads that go together right, get the right wads for the hull -- either Cheddite or Gualandi, or DR16 in your Cheddite hulls. Don't trust the fit of any load listed by a powder company which uses Winchester or Remington wads in thin walled European Rieffenhauser hulls such as Cheddite/Fiocchi/Martignoni/Winchester Xpert/Cheddite. Forget about trying to make Win AA wads and their clones, or any Remington wads work in those hulls. You can make them work with fiddling and fillers and large grain powders, but they are too small in diameter to seal well without modifications, and the wrong length for these deep hulls. The fiddling would be OK for the dedicated re-loader having access to only those Win/Clone/Rem wads, but actually we now have plenty of good wad choices for those thin-walled European Rieffenhauser hulls. Save yourself the trouble -- see Precison Reloading, Grafs, or Ballistic Products for those wads.

Also, you will be disappointed if you think the 7/8 ounce Claybuster version of the WinAA16 is the answer to make a 1 ounce load in a Cheddite/Fiocchi/Martignoni/Winchester Xpert/Cheddite hull.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
SXSman
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:37 am  Reply with quote

Maximum Smoke, Where can I get Cheddite wads?
Pete
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Cheddite wads at Graf & Sons: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/438 Unfortunately it looks like their only current Cheddite wads are for 1 1/8 ounce loads, but they list a bunch of wads with the BPI (Ballistic Products Inc.) brand, which, of course, are made by Gualandi or Baschieri & Pellagri (B&P). Get the Gualandi and B&P wads from Precision Reloading https://www.precisionreloading.com/ or Ballistic Products Inc. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

Any of these Cheddite, Gualandi and B&P wads fit well in the hulls for which they were designed: the Cheddite/Fiocchi/Martignoni/Winchester etc. thin-walled Rieffenhauser hulls. These are the wads used by the manufacturers of those factory loads. The DR-16 seals pretty well in those hulls too.

Mike C. -- 1) Even though Claybusters upped the size of the overpowder seal on their AA clones, to me they still seem a little loose in the thin-walled hulls, and I suppose that will be true with today's Federals too, as they seem to be thinner than older Federals, though I admit I haven't checked that. 2) As far as I can tell, the little bump in the bottom of the shotcup on the 7/8 ounce Claybuster WAA clone does not really displace a whole 1/8 ounce of shot. 3) I left out Federals, because they really are a little different from the Ched/Fio clan, with slightly less capacity, and thicker walls -- at least in the older ones, it seems to me. Frankly, I don't often use/load them. Maybe I'm allergic to purple Confused They are good hulls though. I tend to use the Ched/Fio clan, RGL's, and CF AA's.
3birddogs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:35 am  Reply with quote

I use about that much Universal with an SG16 wad, and 2 1/2" cheddites, and 7/8 oz as my regular clays load

lbrown
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

SXSman wrote:

Pete

I'm using that same formula (actually about half a grain less powder) but with the CB 7/8 wad, dropping one Cheerio for filler. Crimp great, shoot great.
harkom
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:19 am  Reply with quote

The Cheddite 1632B wad as sold by Grafs has a deep o/p cup; the lower edge tends to have a thin circumferential lip. On comparing with SP16 and Gualandi/BPSG16 the Cheddite wad is a tight fit in the following hulls - Activ, Cheddite and very tight in Rem SP.
Due to this variation and because I reload for full choke guns I tried pushing these wads through a Baikal single 16B with 22th choke (.674 bore, .652 muzzle) - the CB1632 would only push through with a good deal of forceful ramming... SP16 and Gualandi pass through smoothly.

The upshot for me? - CB1632 OK for use in thick walled barrels e.g. singles, BUT I would not risk using this wad in an older English style double if choked/thin walled/ or stamped as 17 bore. Just be aware of risk of bulging at choke region in barrel - especially if using higher pressure loads.

Harkom
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:33 am  Reply with quote

Hello Harkom
Welcome to the site and on your first posting
Pleased to have you here
Mike

p.s. the name Harkom is very interesting, there is a Mt, Harkom in Israel Smile
And I knew some Harkom's when I lived in Turkey.

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total