16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Wobble Trap
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Thought I'd share some pictures of my recently completed wobble trap trailer setup. Took it to the range this morning and the wobble attachment definitely adds a degree of difficulty over the straight away targets that were giving me an inflated opinion of my shooting ability. The unit consists of a Do-All Aerial Assault thrower and a Do-All wobble attachment mounted on a Harbor Freight 48" by 40 1/2" utility trailer kit. I went with dual batteries to get better power life and also get more tongue weight on that short little trailer.

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful
I also have a Do-ALL
Do you have to protect the arm and clays guide rods when you travel?
Thanks for the posting
Mike

JNW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Shooting wobble trap from a low gun position is the best practice there is for upland bird hunting. Nice setup.
Jeff
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Wonderful
I also have a Do-ALL
Do you have to protect the arm and clays guide rods when you travel?
Thanks for the posting
Mike

If you mean protection from bouncing around and damaging something, I can just see the top of the clay guide rods out the rear window of my camper shell, and it rode pretty well. I was more concerned about the wobble attachment, but it looked to ride pretty smooth. If you mean protection from bugs and road trash, it tucks in fairly tightly behind this rig and nothing is going to get a clear shot at it.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 am  Reply with quote

Nice! I have the Do-All with wobble attachment also but mounting it on the trailer is awesome!

Speaking of the Do-All, do you have any problems with the clays dropping? We sometimes have to poke the next one with a screwdriver to get it to drop.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:27 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Nice! I have the Do-All with wobble attachment also but mounting it on the trailer is awesome!

Speaking of the Do-All, do you have any problems with the clays dropping? We sometimes have to poke the next one with a screwdriver to get it to drop.

The only problem I experience on clays dropping onto the tray is the last clay in the stack hangs up and won't drop.

The best move I made with my Aerial Assault was giving up on the chintzy Do-All foot switch and going with an industrial foot switch. It solved a whole slew of issues I was having with my thrower. The one I got was from Automation Direct, model APS1151-VO. It was about 40 bucks, compared to a thousand dollars plus on some of the MSC brands.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister,
I am now considering the purchase of a wobble clays launcher. I am considering an Atlas 50 clay throwing machine and I was wondering what the Do-All was like quality wise to compare the machines. Are you having any other problems with your machine as you use it, and how often do these problems occur?

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
tdnathens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

The difference between Atlas and Do-All is great. We have tried trap machines of many brands. Do-All is a made in China starter trap machine for occasional use. It is good machine for the money, but it is a use and throw away item. Atlas is a made in America, call up and order any worn pats and keep shooting for your lifetime machine. Over the last 6-8 years we shoot about 1000+ times one or two day a week during the summer. Some times we have a larger group and shoot 2000+ clays. Our Do-All and the other brands like it were given or thrown away years ago. If you plan to shoot 6 or 8 afternoons a year with your friends or family Do-All is a the machine to buy. If you plan on a long time of use, buy a Atlas or equal machine. Just being able to call and talk to the people that make them is worth the price difference. Your experience may be different than mine. I recommend the Atlas grade machines. Whatever you purchase is better than not having one. All of them are a lot of fun for the money.
You will be glad you bought one no matter what the brand.
Good Luck; Tom
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Riflemeister,
I am now considering the purchase of a wobble clays launcher. I am considering an Atlas 50 clay throwing machine and I was wondering what the Do-All was like quality wise to compare the machines. Are you having any other problems with your machine as you use it, and how often do these problems occur?

Pine Creek/Dave

The Do-All was my first automatic target thrower and I worked with it for a couple of years and finally got it to be very reliable. That said, if it breaks on me, I'll probably go with an Atlas. From what I've read it's a much better machine.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

td,F2F and Riflemeister,
Gentlemen thanks much for the advise, looks like when we finally purchase, it will be a portable Atlas 50 Wobble Launcher that will fit in the shed, where I can lock her up.
Still playing with this idea, and looking at the reality of the cost.

Thanks again gentlemen,
Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:54 am  Reply with quote

The Atlas sounds like the better machine for sure. I'm one of those 6-8 times a year (actually fewer than that!) that td talked about, and I got my Do-All at Cabela's and with my points it cost me almost nothing so that certainly factored into my decision.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook