16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Scratching the 16 gauge itch
EELL
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Hi all and greetings from the west coast of Ireland. First post for me on the 16ga site and delighted to be a member. In the next 2 weeks will be travelling to look at a Westley Richards boxlock made pre first world war and apparently in immaculate condition. With a little bit of luck it will be in the gun safe come the start of our season. 16's are rare in Ireland and ammo can be quite a challenge to obtain but never the less I've always had a wish to shoot one and now is as good a time as any to fulfill it. Will keep you posted on my progress and any advice you can offer will be appreciated
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Welcome to this Forum. Good luck with your search. Looking forward to some pictures if you are successful.

jimdgreat1
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Welcome and good hunting. Smile
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:01 am  Reply with quote

Welcome and good luck in your 16ga endevours!

A bit of warning, 16ga's get lonely by themselves and will often aggregate in small communities....
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

EELL
Welcome to this site
Mike

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome! You've found the friendliest forum on the internet. I'm proud to be a member and these guys are top notch, especially the southerners Smile

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:31 am  Reply with quote

EELL,
New here myself, you might try Lion Country Supply, they ship to me just about any place I go. Right to my door. I use the SpredR's all the time to Grouse and Woodcock hunt with, great shells.

Good luck with your WR Box Lock 16, real nice guns!

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the site EELL good to have another member from the emerald isle ,if we could get another 10 or 20 we could have our own sweet16 shoot . Hope wee box lock works out for you should be nice handling gun , What shooting do you do mainly are you a game shooter or clays or both. From your name EELL I take it your a Beretta man.Anyway welcome to the site and keep us informed . All the best WJ.
EELL
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

wj jeffery 16 wrote:
Welcome to the site EELL good to have another member from the emerald isle ,if we could get another 10 or 20 we could have our own sweet16 shoot . Hope wee box lock works out for you should be nice handling gun , What shooting do you do mainly are you a game shooter or clays or both. From your name EELL I take it your a Beretta man.Anyway welcome to the site and keep us informed . All the best WJ.

Hello WJ
So there's more than one 16 bore fan over here !! I'm mainly a game shot with some limited clay practice just to keep the eye in during the summer. As you correctly guessed I am a Beretta fan and use an Ultralight for my rough shooting and a 687 EELL for the driven stuff. Down here in Clare we get good numbers of migratory woodcock in December and January and they are our main quarry. Also a member of a small duck and partridge shoot with a few friends and it's a good bit of fun. Really hope the Westley lives up to the owners description and that I can actually shoot with it!! How do you find the ammo supply and choice up your way?
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:11 am  Reply with quote

Morning EELL ,mostly a game shooter myself and a Beretta fan too ,as for 16ga ammo up here it's not that easy to get hold of I had a dealer who kept it in stock and had a good selection but he closed up . Most of the other dealers who get you a case in if you ask them , 16ga ammo costs a bit more also so I keep my old gun for rough shooting (walked up ) over dog where your not firing a lot of shots in a day .My Jeffery is a quick handling wee gun and great for carrying over the rough ground . My son and me were out yesterday keeping our eye in with a bit of vermin control on a couple of friends farms we took myBerettas a S56E and an A303 both 12ga we had a good bit of shooting one of the farms had a lot of pigeons around the sheds. A couple of years ago I spent a week in a wee cottage in Louisburg near Westport it is nice part of the country ,I'm not far from The Giants Causeway on the north coast. Have a nice day WJ.
tda003
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Slainte! Welcome to the forum. I brand new here myself.

Wesley Richards. I'm jealous of your find. You may want to try lighter loads in it, say 1125 - 1150 fps and 2 1/2' shells (That may be the chamber length.) I use RST shells in my William Ford box lock. They make shells for venerable shotguns. Give them a call. The owner will likely answer the phone He's quite knowledgeable about older shotguns and their needs and is quite customer friendly.

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:47 am  Reply with quote

EELL,

My wife and I enjoyed traveling through your part of the world when we took a coach tour of Ireland and the British Isles three years ago to help celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. After visiting the Giant's Causeway and other points of interest on the Northern coast near where WJ Jeffery 16 lives, our tour took us along Galway Bay to the Cliffs of Moher on the West coast. We continued through County Clare where you live to the River Shannon Estuary Ferry on the way to Killarney and the Ring of Kerry.

The Emerald Isle is incredibly beautiful. Hope we can get back there again sometime.

EELL
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:22 am  Reply with quote

It is a beautiful part of the world alright, but living here you take it for granted. It's quite a coincidence that WJ and I Iive close to two of Ireland's most iconic visitor attractions. Really is a small world isn't it Very Happy

Last edited by EELL on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tda003
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

I missed the Ring of Kerry during my visit to Ireland when "the Troubles" were still very much alive. It was fogged in. Instead I went to the Dingle peninsula. I had a feeling of deja vu there and then found out it was the site of the filming of "Ryan's Daughter", which I had seen years before. Travelled up through Galway and Donegal then onto Londonderry/Derry and across the coast and then to Belfast and on to Dublin. What a truly beautiful country and the friendliest people. I envy you where you live almost as much as the Wesley Richards.

EELL
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

Ring of Kerry is beautiful on a fine day but fog is often a problem and then you have 110 miles of twisting mountain roads barely wide enough for 2 cars where you get to play chicken with tour buses. Not for the faint hearted 😁