16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Simple reloading setup
pjourn
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

My hand is finally being forced and I'm looking at reloading 2.5 inch 16ga shells. I only need to generate a few boxes a year for hunting purposes. I have an old 16ga roll crimper already that I have never used.
I'm thinking a lee loader would work well for priming, loading powder/wad/shot, then drop an overshot card and roll crimp it.

Am I missing anything with this plan?

Thanks!
16'er
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Set washer in a short section of lumber, and place a piece of flat metal bracket a few inches to the side.

Use a nail or punch to de prime with a small hammer/mallet. Set the new primer with a dowel on the flat plate.

Measure powder with a Lee dipper set.

Set wad with dowel.

Measure shot with dipper set.

http://leeprecision.com/adjustable-shot-dipper.html

Then roll crimp and presto.

That's as cheap as it gets.

I bought a Lee hand loader set for about $30 a couple years back that has an adjustable shot dipper on eBay. It has all the parts to prep and charge hulls. Just search Lee Loader 16 and you'll see what I mean.

There's also a Russian set up on eBay. I ordered the roll crimper in march. Still waiting, but should be here in a week or two.

You'll need a scale to verify the powder and shot drops.

Smile

Last edited by 16'er on Tue May 02, 2017 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
16'er
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Or buy a case of RST or Polywad shells and be set for 5 years...
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
Or buy a case of RST or Polywad shells and be set for 5 years...

+1 on that, alot of trouble for just a few boxes a year . but the again reloading can be addicting .
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, for less than 5 boxes of 2 1/2 ammo per year,
BUY AMMO

Mike

16'er
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Edited my first post as lee still has the shot dipper.
old colonel
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Concur w 16'er if your needs are so small a number a year. Though you could settle on BP shells

Reloading and hunting your own shells is a pleasure and not difficult to do.

It does require a little commitment to do correctly.

The most simple kit you can acquire is a Lee Loader Hand Reloading set. It works, but while it meets minimum requirements you really can't go very far in varieties of loads with it. In a short time you will need a scale, want a roll crimping head, and more. Reloading is a hunger that grows and soon you will evolve to a MEC or PW

I started with a MEC 600jr, which if I never went beyond the MEC it is enough to do most anything you have to do.

If I knew everything I know now when I started I would have gone three routes

1. MEC 600jr, adjustable bar, 2 1/2 in adapter, scale (bar scale then Digital scale as I get more money)

2. Roll Crimp Set-Up -- crimping head (use with power drill-later adjustuble shot scoop, lee powder scoop set, hull trimmer, and a scale (from step 1) (note you can use the MEC to deprime, prime, drop powder and shot into hulls for roll crimping or you can scoop per shell)

3. Rocky Mountain Cartridge (RMC) full length brass hulls, 30ea, then 60, then 110, a RMC reloading kit, adjustuble shot scoop, lee powder scoop set, and a scale (from step 1)

If I could only do one of the three I would do the RMC only, but that is affectation not sense as it is the most expensive and the data available

If you get into reloading you will end up with all sorts stuff you want, but do not actually need, like Ponsness Warren single stage loader, Ponsness Warren Progressive loader, a heavy duty press to resize full length brass. Plus all other sorts of accessories

Returning to your original question, I would look for a MEC press on this site or on Ebay, you will in time find one for a decent price. Don't try to stay too cheap as it is a false economy in the long run. Don't scimp on the scale as it will give you peace of my on the drop from the MEC loader or from the scoops later.

16'er
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Here's a lee loader,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lee-Loader-Reloading-Tools-for-Shotgun-Shells-16-Gauge-2-3-4-shell-/122472093429?hash=item1c83e7d6f5:g:vlYAAOSwpkFY5~wR

Missing the shot dipper looks like, but that can be replaced...

Another, albiet in 20 ga showing the shot dipper in place:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LEE-LOADER-FOR-20-GAUGE-SHOTGUN-SHELLS-RELOADING-TOOLS-GA/182545690544?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3D514746ce443d439393f08458a0e36fe7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122472093429

Russian kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Press-Kit-For-Shotshell-Reloading-of-5-items-16-GA-/252800511760?hash=item3adc15af10:g:EIQAAOSwsW9YxBxD

The only advantage of this over a Lee Load All would be foot print. The Lee is made here, and you can have it in a couple of days. I think there was a company making shotshell handloaders here in the USA, but I can't remember who they were.

Once I finally have the roll crimper in hand from them, I'll post up a review of the quality and function..
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:52 am  Reply with quote

In your case and from and economic position buying ammo makes sense unless your'e like me and want to reload.
I shoot 2 boxes at clay targets just before the bird season to keep my skills up. I reload my hunting ammo using simple hand tools and to me it is a most enjoyable process. I reload for quality patterns and moderate to light recoil at standard velocities. It takes about 30 seconds per round to reload.
My tools:

OR

The finished product.
pjourn
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Good thoughts everyone.
I guess I'm less worried about cost and more focused on keeping things simple and not acquiring a bunch more tools. (Between bluing, bending, checkering, fly tying, boat building and who knows what else, I've already filled my workshop...)
I have been buying short chamber shells in 12, 20 and 16 for hunting purposes for a long time, but in the last few years have had a harder time finding what I want, especially in 16ga. I shoot about 20 boxes a year on birds, probably less than half of that is short chamber 16.
I have a good stockpile of B&P high pheasants for 2.5 12ga shells. I wish I could get a 16ga equivalent. I have some of the B&P f2 16, but i feel they are a little hot for one of my guns. i've used the polywads and the RSTs, but they are not always available in loads I like.
I have a good stockpile of 16ga hulls and roll crimper. The hand primed option seems plausible, but I like the idea of a small press to expedite the process a bit.

Thanks for good the ideas everyone