16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New toy
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up my Merkel 16 ga. today from the dealer. It was shipped last Friday and took over a week to get from Va to NJ. At least it got here and wasn't lost.

What a nice gun. It has 28" barrels with a pistol grip stock. I can't wait until October to start knocking birds out of the sky with it.

It's been a good week. Got my new dog just over a week ago and now a new gun. Wow.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:49 am  Reply with quote

Came back from the UP SxS Shoot with a new one myself: very late NID Field Grade. Nothing special but pretty nice condition. Currently choked tight and tighter. Shot a couple side events with it, lousy results. I was beginning to think the barrels were crooked or something (couldn't possibly be the shooter!) when I decided to give the 4 stand setup one more try. I was 11 out of the first 12, and the guy running the 4 stand advised me that if I ran the last station, I'd tie the record--apparently no one had gone 16/16. Of course it was a lost cause once he said that. I choked and fell one short of the record. So I think it's a keeper--just took a bit of "break in" time. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to get those chokes opened to avoid a whole lot of missed pheasants or pheasant hamburger.
RWG
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
Came back from the UP SxS Shoot with a new one myself: very late NID Field Grade. Nothing special but pretty nice condition. Currently choked tight and tighter. Shot a couple side events with it, lousy results. I was beginning to think the barrels were crooked or something (couldn't possibly be the shooter!) when I decided to give the 4 stand setup one more try. I was 11 out of the first 12, and the guy running the 4 stand advised me that if I ran the last station, I'd tie the record--apparently no one had gone 16/16. Of course it was a lost cause once he said that. I choked and fell one short of the record. So I think it's a keeper--just took a bit of "break in" time. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to get those chokes opened to avoid a whole lot of missed pheasants or pheasant hamburger.

Larry:

Two new 16s in two weeks. That's got to be a new record for you. Wink Russ
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:28 am  Reply with quote

Russ, the one I didn't mention here was the 2116 EL Merkel, because I hadn't shot it yet at that point. First impressions, after having shot it, are certainly positive. Almost certain to cause me to spend more time with an OU than I usually do.

As for 2 in 2 weeks, I know I've walked out of gun shows (and maybe a shop or two as well) with more than one 16 at a time.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

So Larry, you picked up a new 16 ga Merkel OU? Let's hear some details!! This is 16ga.com afterall. We're on your side! Very Happy
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

TJC: that fine new gun will last you a lifetime; you dog will only have so many days afield, don't waste a single opportunity to take him out.

"old dogs shouldn't be left alone to grieve" Gusewelle
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
Picked up my Merkel 16 ga. today from the dealer. It was shipped last Friday and took over a week to get from Va to NJ. At least it got here and wasn't lost.

What a nice gun. It has 28" barrels with a pistol grip stock. I can't wait until October to start knocking birds out of the sky with it.

It's been a good week. Got my new dog just over a week ago and now a new gun. Wow.

Sorry TJC! I got so curious about "Larry's Latest" that I forgot to congratulate you on your Merkel. Good going! I'm a big Merkel fan myself with a couple 16's and a new/used 12 gauge. It's hard to beat a Merkel for toughness! They'll take a licking and keep on ticking!!
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I've been away all week and didn't get to see the board all week.

The Merkel is surely sweet. I see another 1 or 2 in my future. This one is choked 1/4 and 3/4. Am I reading it right that it would be Imp Mod and Mod with those #'s? I think I read that somewhere but don't remember where.

I was going to send it to Briley but if those are the correct chokes to those designations, I think I will just try it that way over the dogs.

The new pup, a 1 yr old, is doing fine with my 3 yr old now. Looking forward to the coming bird seasons.
I may even get out and try grouse this season. I haven't done that in years.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:11 am  Reply with quote

Dave, I fell for one of the new 2116EL's they had up at Cabela's. Gorgeous gun. My only current concern is that it has very open chokes (skt/IC, whereas most of those are IC/M) and the 2nd barrel may not be tight enough for pheasants. I'll pattern it, perhaps think about sending off to Briley to tube the top barrel. I don't mind an open first barrel, but too open in the second barrel can be a real problem with pheasants. And with a light 16, you can't compensate for an open barrel by feeding the gun 1 1/4 oz + loads of shot.

Mine is 28", round knob, SST. Pretty much like the gun featured recently in Shooting Sportsman, except it's just a 16--I don't have the extra set of 20ga barrels (nor would I want them). I'm guessing weight in the 6 1/4-6 1/2 range.

Too bad the Euro/$ problems have really escalated the price of these guns. This one was very slightly used and at a much more reasonable price.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:38 am  Reply with quote

Sounds very nice, Larry! Bring it along to Warrens and I'll show you my 16 gauge 200E. Mine has the opposite problem. It's choked .017 & .025.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:45 am  Reply with quote

Since you guys are talking about chokes, let me ask this. My 1620 is choked 1/4 and 3/4. What are the approx chokes as they would relate to these designations?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

TJC, just guessing, but probably around .007-.009 in the right barrel, .018-.020 in the left, or approximately IC/IM.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Larry, appreciate the info.
I think I'll pattern those 2 chokes and see what's what. I was going to send it to Briley but those may not be too bad over the dogs.

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Larry's right on the money. My Merkel 1620 was factory choked .010 and .018. Since my 1620 is my "go to" grouse gun I opened the right barrel up to about .003 and kept the left barrel .018. It's worked out very well for many things including pheasants. It's one of those (few) guns where I hit really well with that tight left barrel.

Enjoy that Merkel!