16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning Auto5 16ga: what years have choke tubes?
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

After reading morngstar's good post on serial number dating, and the wikipedia for Auto 5, I see that the 16ga was manufactured up until 1998, and it says 16ga was not made between 1976-1987. So I am thinking they DID produce 16ga auto5 from 1988 to 1998 when production ended.

I'm interested in a semiauto 16ga, for use duck hunting, shooting steel shot or tungsten. Therefore, I want one with modern steel and choke tubes. So far this is what I've identified as options:
1. Rem 1100 -- good function, decently heavy for 1oz @1500 steel loads. Not sure what year they began putting choke tubes on these either...
2. Browning Auto 5, probably 1988-1998 with chokes? Assuming they made them with chokes?
3. Browning 2016 A5 "Sweet Sixteen"

I haven't shot any of these three, in any gauge, except for an auto5 one time. I do have an 11-48 so am familiar with the whole barrel recoil thing and don't mind it. I'm leaning towards the 1100 for it's highly reported function, or the late model auto 5, ironically for it's nostalgia factor. I like gas actions on semi's for their recoil reduction. While I like the new A5, it might be a bit light for duck loads. Of course, whichever I get I'd use for dove and pigeons which don't require a lot of carry, so weight probably a benefit.

Comments on these guns, what year they got choke tubes, which would make the best steel-shooting duck gun? Thx!
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:30 am  Reply with quote

Just a guess but I think when they went to Japan for the A5 is when they started with screw-in chokes, and Remington about the same time- mid-late eighties.(Maybe some of the earliest Jap made A-5's were fixed chokes?) For not a lot of difference in the money, I'd think the new sweet in 28 inch tubes would be the ticket! The barrels do interchange on a lot of them if you found an older fixed choke gun you could buy a screw in barrel for it, but they're pricey and scarce.

steve f
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:31 am  Reply with quote

I had a Japanese A5 12ga from 1983 and it had the original style Invector chokes. I believe it was the first year they offered them or close to the first year.
studdog
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:25 am  Reply with quote

The new invector DS tubes on the 16 gauge sweet look great. Might be the best choke tube design Browning has come up with. They also pattern well.

dwr353
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:29 am  Reply with quote

I have a 1970 or so Sweet 16. I had a full barrel and a mod barrel(both Belgian). I had a smith open the choke up to Skeet 2 on the full barrel. I have used it with #4 steel for years. No affect on the barrel whatsoever. I know Browning says not to shoot steel(liability issues I am sure), but the issue is usually large shot and tight chokes. Since #4 is small and Skeet 2 is open, I do not worry about it. I shoot decoying birds with it and follow up shots for cripples are rare. If you decide to use an older Browning, its is your choice, not mine. Good luck.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:27 am  Reply with quote

If you don't mind the looks, any barrel with a Poly-Choke will handle steel. As a bonus, guns equipped with Poly-Chokes are usually cheaper than those without.

Dan
MatthewWyatt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought a 1960 Sweet 16 with a vent rib and a Poly choke for 1/3 of what the new A5 Sweet 16 has is selling for. I held the new one and was wanting to buy one but I just didn’t see $1500 plus worth of gun there. Just my opinion.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air,...
tselliott
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

The in vector + chokes were put in the A5 in 1994 to 1998.

A5Mag12
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

tselliott wrote:
The in vector + chokes were put in the A5 in 1994 to 1998.
The 16 gauge never got the plus chokes. Standard Invector's only.