16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2017 Sweet 16 Shoot
Casey Creek
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Both 12 bore Dicksons, not appropriate for this gathering.
fourtrax
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

In the words of the Flatwater shooters......
"That would be committing 12 guage!"

gloftness
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Tony

That's a nice quiver of 16ga guns for us to oogle over. Glad you are coming. The weather will be whatever it is- we can have lots of fun, eat some good food and talk smart. I don't own a gun that will melt if it gets wet.

looking forward to seeing a great bunch of characters and pawing over some nice toys.
kgb
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Can't imagine Dicksons being inappropriate for any such gathering!

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:35 am  Reply with quote

Have a great day guys , take plenty of photos, I look forward to seeing the action . Hope your powder stays dry.All the best for your day .WJ.
morngstar
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:14 am  Reply with quote

I haven't had this much fun in the pouring rain since I was 6.

1935 Superposed 3 inch chambered, 16ga conversion
Browning 725 16ga
Shredder
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Hats off to Jeff for providing another great 16 gathering! While the constant rain was a menace, it was still a great event. It was worth the drive time in the car and nice to catch up with fellow 16 shooters from last year, and meet new ones this year.
Thanks Jeff and crew!
JNW
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

I want to thank the 38 amazing folks who showed up today to celebrate the Queen of the Uplands. The weather could not have been worse for late May - 42 degrees and pouring rain. Western Minnesota got snow. This makes up for the fabulous weather we enjoyed last year. We had people come from South Dakota, Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan as well as the gopher state. I think this shows that not only are 16 gauge shooters gentleman, scholars, students of nature and kind to children, but they are also the hardiest and toughest shooters there are!

This year we added a new mascot, Francis the purple Flamingo.

Francis greeted shooters, provided them shooting positions and entertained them on the sporting course. Here's the grouse walk yesterday in the dry.
[/URL]
And this is what shooting was like today.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
We are planning on a repeat event next year, so check your calendars and come find out why this shoot is so much fun.

Thanks again,
Jeff and the crew st South St. Paul Gun Club
Casey Creek
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff,
Thanks for all of your efforts, a fun day despite the weather. 16 Shooters are game, I have to give credit to each and everyone who not only showed up, but waded through the mud and water to shoot all of the events. It's a good thing no one was keeping score!
A special thanks to Donny and the staff, especially the "outside guys" who stood out there for hours while we flayed at clay birds we could hardly see through fogged lenses and incessant rain.
It was good to retire to the clubhouse and talk and ogle guns and dry out. Tell the weather wimps they missed a good time, better to burn out than to rust!
Regards,
Casey Creek
Casey Creek
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

BTW, Jeff,
I really blew it when my raffle number was called, took a box of ammo instead of 2 classic, priceless purple flamingos. Remorseful, I'd like to make an offer on 2. I think they'd look great on my beaver pond. They'll drive the local ducks, geese, and herons bonkers! pm me regarding price negotiations.
Casey Creek
gloftness
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I would echo Tony's comments about the 16ga crowd. What a great group. I saw people soaking wet with big smiles on their faces.

For anyone that plans an outdoor event in Minnesota, we know the weather can always be a wildcard that puts a big damper on things. Knowing how hard Jeff and Donny worked to make this another great shoot, it was great to see that almost 40 guys ignored the bad weather and focused on the fun part. These are the same guys that probably hunt late season birds when others stay home by the fireplace.

Seeing Morngstar's Pachmayr custom Win 21 and Casey Creek's composed pair engraved two barrel sets was incredible.

Hull harvesting was good... I paid two soaking wet trappers $25 for two five gallon pails of hulls (more than they were worth). They needed to clean up anyway and were happy to pick them up for me. They dried on my furnace room floor overnight...

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/gloftness/media/IMG_8951_zpsv0i6kvn0.jpg.html] [/URL]
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:10 am  Reply with quote

Just want to echo the thanks to Jeff, Donny, and his staff for putting this together again for us 16 ga crazies. Weather wise, I figured I sat out in my fishing boat a couple days this week in similar weather, so why not go shoot in it?Glad I did! Did anyone have/shoot a new Sweet 16? Didn't see one. How many more months til next years shoot?

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Ah . . . . I think I see one of mine in that pile -- just one. Please return it to me, thanks!

Hey what a great time -- I've never been wetter. The good news is every year this is held, from here on out, 99% chance the weather will be better. So get out and support this event and S. St. Paul Rod & Gun Club in the future like we did yesterday. Much thanks to Jeff and Don and the Club. I'm sorry all the effort for the set-up of some great events -- pigeon ring, flurry and grouse walk especially -- got under-utilized. Lunch was super, as usual, prizes and gun displays were appreciated, and it was great to hang out with you fellow enthusiasts.

See you Next Year,
Tony Lowe
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:18 am  Reply with quote

I can't really add much to what was already said except to add another THANK YOU Jeff for all the work you put into this shoot. It is is greatly appreciated and what a great time. Once again bad weather or not! And the food is always worth the trip too.

Always good to see old friends and make some new ones. What a fantastic group of people!

So what happened to that Dave Erickson fellow this year?!

Dave we are going to have to burn up some tickets on a certain skeet field soon Very Happy
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to Jeff for the work of organizing the event.
Thank You to the S. ST. Paul gun club & especially the HELP on hand. Cooking, making coffee, signing us in, waiting on us.... all the folks helping out it was appreciated. Special thanks to the "trappers" out WADING & waiting around with us while we played. Enjoyed shooting with Carl, Mike, & Al.