16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Single shot 16ga
joe_dumy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Well finally found the one I wanted a Lefever 16a Trap gun. Can wait to get it and see what mods I need to do to get it to work for them. I want to keep the barrel 28" for muzzle control but it may get pretty out of balance if I have to shorten the stock too much. Should be a little on the heavy side since it is a trap gun which I didnt know they made in a 16ga. I really like the fit and finish on this gun. Doesnt seem like they tried to do short cuts to make it for less or put it on a 12 ga frame. Should be a fun 16ga to add to the family and with 3/4oz loads in the 1100 fps range should be ok on the recoil. Made in 1927. Cant wait to get it and take the kids shooting. This gun will get them some attention as well at the sporting clay events as it has a unique look and is a cool Brand.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/632120892

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

Suggestion

Leave the original stock alone and make/buy one to modify and when the kids get taller you will have the original and will have not devalued the gun.

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
joe_dumy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

Sheettx

Can you point me to were I could buy one, I can do some fitting if needed but from scratch not so sure. I would love to do that rather then ruin this one.

But It will always be a kids gun and dont plan on selling it so modifying is not the end of the world for me. But I am sure it breaks some hearts. I will preserve its legacy by using the heck out of it. All my shotguns are modified in some way to fit me and my needs.
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

this is just a guess but an Ithaca nitro special stock might be made to fit. some times Gun Stocks Inc. has them just raw walnut.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:22 am  Reply with quote

Glad you found one.

For what it's worth, an FYI; my bud has one of these and I borrowed it when searching for a platform to make a dedicated trap gun project. My suggestion is for you to shoot it a bunch before the kids do and certainly before modifying it. IMO they are much too light to consider making a trap/target gun out of. Maybe as a carry all day and shoot it 6 times at Bunny's maybe. Mid-range 1oz loads beat the tar out of me (6' 190#) + the gun had a tendency to jump and slap my cheek, in short; punishing, so I passed before even putting any 3/4 or 7/8oz'ers through it. I fear shortening it would make it even more jumpy.

Please don't take my input as brow beating, I applaud you for passing the shooting sports on to the next gen, but, it'd be shame to see the effort "backfire" and have the kids get recoil shy off the bat via too light a gun.

Hope this info helps,

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:03 am  Reply with quote

AND get the 410 inserts

http://www.littleskeeters.com/products.htm

Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:37 am  Reply with quote

Ditto on what SamW said. Can't imagine that 16 isn't going to have some bite to it especially to a 10 years old frame. Get him recoil shy right off the bat and you might spoil his shooting experience. I bought my daughter years back a 1100 in a 28ga no recoil, she still enjoys shooting that gun today. Good safety training will eliminate the mutiiple shot worries. To me the antics of holding the gun still and getting the hammer cocked would be more of a safety worry than snapping off the safety. Leave your gun home the first few trips and concentrate on him.

Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:40 am  Reply with quote

You made a great choice and are taking the right course in using light loads. The Ballistic Products Advantages Manual has numerous light loads starting at 5/8 oz. and upwards. When you get it in your hands, let us know its weight, LOP, etc. Have fun! Gil
joe_dumy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

I cant wait to get it and try it out. For sure I will shoot it a bunch and find the best load for it. I will post the gun specifics and results when I get it. Recoil is a big concern of mine and heavy on my mind. Shot some 3/4 oz loads today and the patterns were good and the recoil not too bad but think there is room for improvement here. Thanks for all the feedback. And I certainly dont take it as browbeating or negative. I know everyone has the same concern that I make my kids recoil sensitive or worse yet turn them away from shooting all together. This will be a fun project.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:22 am  Reply with quote

they are a nice / simple gun . It is a thru bolt stock , and not too complicated , so any of the stock mfgs should be able to help out . Mine is a 12 ga and has the Ithaca tapered rib . Old and beat as it is , it's kept on ticking - has only needed a new FP . A machinist can make easy enough . I would keep attn. toward recoil , as they are susceptible to cracking . The little 5/8 , 3/4 loads should be the BOMB !!

joe_dumy
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

Well I got it in my hands. I am pretty disappointed. Can win them all on gun broker. Someone has been at this gun. Looks like they bent everything up tring to get the stock off and stripped the screw. The forend stock was split, Looks like someone started to sand it all down and did a gunky finish job on it. So the checkering is flat and the fit not so great. It is 6.25 lbs which seems about right. The action is really stiff which pretty much puts it off limits to the kids. The reciever is scratched up like some tried to sand it. The barrel is good. The firing works and the safety works.

Got to take it to a gun smith to get the action fixed. Probably cause it is bent up a little.

But one good thing it is not a safe queen and lends it to be chopped up and modified for a kids 16 ga single shot. I will probably redo the checkering and finish myself, Cut down the stock to 12 1/2" Lop or so and add 8 oz to the but stock to help with recoil.

Anyways it is still a neat gun and it will be fun to hand down to generations of kids in my family.

I will keep you posted of my progress. I need something to kill the summer anyways.
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:14 am  Reply with quote

Joe, sorry to hear about the issues, but you still have a decent gun. I almost got burned on gunbroker on a defective gun with no return allowed. It fired, but had issues unrepresented by the seller. Fortunately, a member here had a connection with the best possible gunsmith for the repair and the repair was prompt and inexpensive. Good luck. Gil
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:02 am  Reply with quote

sounds like some one ran it over . The stock is just a straight thru bolt and the stock pulls back off readily . The lever cocks the firing mech and unlocks the barrel at the same time . They get easier as time goes on , not stiffer . I,m thinking a good smith can smooth it out back to good . (mine would be easy for a kid etc to shoot and use - it'll come around )

67galaxie
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:17 am  Reply with quote

If you can find a New England then go for it. I love my 20 that I have had since childhood