16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Sweet Sixteen Stock Split
sixteenclays
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Good news! Almost three months to the day, I received a replacement for my A5 with the cracked stock. My dealer called and said that Browning set me a new gun. So now I will have it for the Ruffed Grouse Shoot at Castlewood Clays on June 24th. Keep in mind it was at a ruffed grouse shoot in February that it cracked. Maybe I will go shoot a round or two before then.

PDD
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:18 am  Reply with quote

I have not been able to shoot my SWT yet. The fore end was split or split when I put the gun together. It has been at Browning for a month.

Interestingly, I called about the repair this week. Browning was very apologetic as you would imagine.

I was told Browning sent an employee to Spain to oversee the replacement of the fore ends. My stock is one of many.

I also think the person who went to Spain has an engineering background (as one might expect.
rgraetz
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

I purchased a new Sweet 16 last month and took it out for a few rounds of clays. When I got it home I took it out of the case to see the stock was split on both sides back from the receiver. My dealer was good to replace it with a new one right away but am a little afraid that this may happen again.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

Well if anyone has an urge for a custom stock, this certainly qualifies as an excuse! Silver lining in that cloud...

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Don't quite understand why folks are doing their best to run out and buy one of these guns with so many problems being reported?

Just to say you have a "New Sweet 16?"

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:01 am  Reply with quote

25 Sept. 16

I wonder if they've done some redesign on the fore end? I ordered mine early in they year and got it in May. I'd heard about the fore end problems. They had a notice in the manual about instillation of the fore end so I suspect they were aware of the problem.

Mine has been through about 1000 rds over the summer and no problems with the fore end cracking. I even got luck with the trigger breaking well below the weight of the gun.

I got lucky and got a good one (I hope). Once upon a time you didn't have to be lucky. If it said Browning, Winchester, Remington on the gun, it worked and nothing broke. I fear quality control has gone the way of the dodo.

Bill
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:17 am  Reply with quote

I have held off on getting one of these. I think that for $1500.00 luck should not play a part in the decision to buy one. I have read that the 12ga version also has some chronic jamming problems and they kick uncomfortably hard.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
William J. siefert
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

25 Sept. 17

You can't beat physics. The gun weighs 5.75 lbs. With heavy loads, recoil will be noticeable. I don't believe I've shot anything heavier than 1 oz at about 1250 fps and recoil was manageable. In fact it was less than I expected. However when I go over to 1 1/8 heavy loads for birds this fall, I expect to feel it. I would not recommend the gun for targets with anything over an ounce. With my 7/8 oz hand loads, its quite mild.

As to jamming, only with Herters shells. Federal, Winchester and Remington all run flawlessly. Once I reload the Herter's hulls, they also run 100%.

Still a pity that you even have to think of such things before making a purchase.

Bill
sneem
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

its just bad karma. It isn't an A5 or a Sweet 16. Just shallow pretenders. The gods have looked down upon them and frowned and they will always be cursed.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Having owned a real nice Browning 28/20 Combo gun for many years that I never had any trouble with, my opinion of Browning Shotguns is that they make a nice quality shotgun. In fact my brother owns a grade V 12 Gauge and a real nice 28 also. Never a problem with his guns, and he did a heck of a lot of shooting At Nemacoiln down thru the years. A company that produces as many shotguns as Browning is going to have some stock grain trouble and other problems down thru the years. As long as Browning corrects the problems, you keep purchasing from the company.

Pine Creek/Dave

My Cased Browning 28/20 Combo Gun - Never had a single problem with it.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52556_600x400/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers