16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  A. H. Fox, Graded or Sterlingworth, the best American Double

Best U.S. Made Double?
Best U. S. Made Double, Aesthetically ?
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Best U. S. Made Double, Value-Wise
27%
 27%  [ 9 ]
Best U. S. Made Double, Both Aesthetically and Value-Wise
57%
 57%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 33

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

I have Fox's, LC's, Ithaca, and a LeFever side lock. I like them all and they all look and shoot great. However the Fox guns are a wand and the simple design with less moving parts is more reliable than the rest. I will contradict myself a little here I do have a 1939 16 Gauge LC that was restocked and glassed behind the lock plates this is the weak part on a Smith. I have shot 1000's of rounds through it with no issues. I have 2 fox's that get the same treatment heavy shooting week to week no issues. The Citori on the other hand fails to fire all too often. The other point I missed is the low profile rounded action of a Fox is a Grouse hunters delight.
architorture23
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

strength = beauty.

and nobody has more of either than a Model 21.
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

architorture23 wrote:
strength = beauty.

and nobody has more of either than a Model 21.

That is your opinion, strength, yes, beauty, no.

Remember: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

This beholder believes the Model 21 got ugly when they jettisoned the side panels.

How does one know if strength is ever utilized in the uncomfortable real world of scatterguns afield?
Beagleman
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Pinecreek/ Dave, does Rich Painter do barrel work on Foxes? I would prefer to have the barrels on my 16 ga Sterlingworth opened up rather than the Elsie. I wondered why I hit more birds with the Elsie until I patterned both with the spreader loads. The Elsie right barrel patterns closer to skeet. So ends the mystery of why I prefer it for quail over the Fox- I kill more. The better you shoot them, the prettier they get!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:49 am  Reply with quote

Beagleman,
Yes Rich Painter works on just about any kind of double gun or rifle. He is a pro. He just fit another set of 16 Gauge Barrels on one of my L.C. Smith Guns and I am waiting for him to complete the fore-end stock for that set of Barrels right now.

If the Barrels on the Fox have the original wall thickness, he can open the cokes for you. He does this kind of work all the time on Classic American double guns.

Give him a call and see what he can do for your Fox barrels.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
callaojoe
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

I am happy that guns aren't like women, and it's ok for me to like more than just one....

I enjoy shooting my LC Smith, Ithaca's and Fox SxS's.

Each one seems to have different things I like about it.

As for value and strength, it's hard to beat an Ithaca NID.

But, the Fox guns are super sexy, and the LC Smith name has always been synonomous with what I think about when I think about American SxS's.

Don't own a Parker, yet... Prices on them just drive me nuts. Rolling Eyes

Lefever Nitro 16ga (1946)
big-k
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:07 am  Reply with quote

A.H. Fox...The finest gun in the world..... Really.. just like others have posted, we like them all and each of us has their own idea of what is the best SXS ever built. I am into upland bird hunting so big heavy waterfoulers are not in question here. The light, sleek best poke gun is what I am talking about. When talking American made, then A.H. Fox is at the top of my list. I have a great love for O-frame Parker guns too. I have hunted them with great pleasure and still own them today. The problem for me with the original made Fox gun is its hard to find one that is not stocked for rabbit hunting (way to low) So after much thought my go to rooster gun for Kansas is a special order CSMC Fox XE-spl. 16 two barrel set....its is the finest gun I have ever owned. Yes it is a real Fox, not a copy, made today, better than ever before! I had it built for me, it fits, it hits and its not hard to look at! When the day comes that my gun collection is sold off, I will own that Fox till my eyes go shut for the last time! nuff said.............SXS Ohio

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Ken,
You know how much I like your FOX Double Guns, however I feel the same way about my L.C. Smith double guns. Now that I also have acquired a serious LeFever double gun, it's real hard for me to pick a gun off the gun rack when we Grouse hunt together. That original Parker of yours is one heck of a bird gun also. Course there is nothing like an L.C. Smith side lock double gun, when it comes to American Classic Double Guns.

Can't wait till Grouse season this year, the Grouse population is looking GoooD.

I am not up at the log Cabin right now, we are in the middle of purchasing a new home. My Brother Kurt is at the Log Cabin Fly Fishing right now however.

Pine Creek/Dave

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

big-k wrote:
A.H. Fox...The finest gun in the world..... Really.. just like others have posted, we like them all and each of us has their own idea of what is the best SXS ever built. I am into upland bird hunting so big heavy waterfoulers are not in question here. The light, sleek best poke gun is what I am talking about. When talking American made, then A.H. Fox is at the top of my list. I have a great love for O-frame Parker guns too. I have hunted them with great pleasure and still own them today. The problem for me with the original made Fox gun is its hard to find one that is not stocked for rabbit hunting (way to low) So after much thought my go to rooster gun for Kansas is a special order CSMC Fox XE-spl. 16 two barrel set....its is the finest gun I have ever owned. Yes it is a real Fox, not a copy, made today, better than ever before! I had it built for me, it fits, it hits and its not hard to look at! When the day comes that my gun collection is sold off, I will own that Fox till my eyes go shut for the last time! nuff said.............SXS Ohio

Big K,
Us lesser mortals wood appreciate some pitchers of that XE Fox, please!

big-k
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

Cowdoc87..I do not know how to add pictures. Send over your e-mail and I will send you some....It is really sweet Fox! Thanks Kenny[/url]

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Big-K,

Yep I like both the Fox 2 Brl Set and the original Parker, they will fit right in my Gun Cabinet with the rest of my Classic American made beauties, when you visit the Log Cabin next Grouse season. I will not even charge you rental space to keep them.

I know the Shooting Star Shop is getting pretty crowded with the more modern guns, so I figure you could leave some of the good American classic and Repro stuff over here. I always have room for fine American Classic double guns here at the Log Cabin.

Put Kim's nice Parker in also, I will have no problem storing it.

Pine Creek/Dave