16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  SPF-Mec 650 progressive in 12 ga.
Atepac
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:52 am  Reply with quote

I have a mec 650 progressive I have just decided I won't use so no use keeping it. (plus it's in 12 gauge). It will run shells as it sits now but I think it's missing its sizing ring/support tube. Has the tube for primers that can be filled to drop in primers but does not have the tray. Does have the universal charge bar and 6 and 8 point crimp. Handle pull is good and smooth. $120 plus actual shipping.

Last edited by Atepac on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Looks good

Mec 650s do not size, no column or ring

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atepac
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Good to know I was wondering how that would work with the manual index plate literally holding the base of the shell.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:00 am  Reply with quote

Actually, 650's do resize, and always have, although it is done as an operation separate from the progressive loading cycle. Many have discarded the parts included with every 650 that allow resizing. Included with the press, even today, is an extender tube just like on a 600 that screws into the movable tool-holding platen of the press, on which at the bottom is threaded a standard MEC resize ring. Additionally, there is a spacer with an annular ring groove that fits into the deprime station of the 650 and engages the carrier (the indexable rotating plate with the cutouts to hold the rims of 6 hulls in the progressive reloading process). With these items in place, the press can resize just like a 600. The user must first resize hulls as a batch using this set-up, and then after removing the re-size set-up, reload the hulls in the progressive process.

To some, this is a bit clunky, but no more so than on the Pacific/Hornady 366 for example, on which the resize function is also separate from the progressive cycle. Some users did not like to re-configure the 650 for resizing, so MEC made the Case Conditioner -- a separate press which was a simple ring re-size and de-prime tool made up largely from MEC 600 parts. Later, after MEC invented the collet re-size method, the Case Conditioner was replaced in the product line by the SuperSizer, and the 650 gave way to the Grabbers which used the collet, and then finally the 9000 which is simply an auto-indexed Grabber.

Invention of collet re-sizing obviated the need for separate resizing when using a progressive style press. Ponsness-Warren and others never went the collet re-size route, instead pressing every hull into a separate resizing shell-holding sleeve similar to the ones found on the MEC's first reloader, the 300. The resizing sleeve has to stay with the shell throughout the reloading process, so a number of sleeves is required. The larger number of precision parts required to do this, and the space and rigidity required to use this system is why P-W's and Spolars are so heavy and costly to build, both of which result for the manufacturer in either higher prices, or lower profits, or as I suspect, both.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.mecshootingsports.com/650n