16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  HELP! can i fire 2 3/4 in a 2 9/16 chamber 16ga ?
EARL CONFEDERATE
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:39 am  Reply with quote

From the serial # it's a 1921 thank you for the link. The reason I want to have it cut for choke tubes is I'd like to make a do all shotgun that can do every thing that my Mossberg 500 12ga can so I can show people of my generation that I can take my mossberg 12ga and my 90+ year old winchester 16ga and do the same thing with less weight - Carey's like a 20 hits like a 12 - and maybe people will see that the perfect alternative to carrying a 12ga is the 16ga. The 16ga is the best compromise to the 12 if you even want to call it a compromise with out compromising performance like you do when you switch from 12 to 20 gauges see I have my own experience with this I hunt a lot of public land and when I do there's a whole lot of walking and climbing especially when I go to the mountains of east Tennessee and ounces with your gear turn in to pounds which = pain so I started carrying a 20ga and I didn't want to go to a 16ga because I thought it was not much different than a 12ga and I didn't think you could even get shells anymore it was my ignorance I'd never even shot a 16ga except once it was an old jc Higgins bolt action 16ga and was not that great so I carryed a 20ga thinking that was the best compromise to a 12ga and it happened by chance that I found out I was wrong. I had all ways wanted a semi auto shotgun and didn't want to pay $1200 for a good one just to tear it up in ruff hunting so a older gintlemen at work had a Remington 48 sportsman 16ga 28" barrel full choke for sale for $150 so I bought it and tried it out rabbit hunting that year and I found out it was like when I uesd to carry a 12ga I could not miss but it felt like carrying my 20ga. If we can influence a younger generation to this and maybe get a gun company and ammunition company to come up with a 3"inch chamber at affordable price and then a budget price we could get new people to discover what carrys like a 20 hits like a 12 really means and that's what I'd like to show with my shotgun that it can do any thing a 12 can except shoot 3" mags - yet Very Happy

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Earl,
Remember if you are shooting the 2 3/4 shells thu the 2 9/16 chambers/cones you will have very tight patterns inside 35 yards. I recommend using SpredR loads to help spread the pattern.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:24 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Earl,
Remember if you are shooting the 2 3/4 shells thu the 2 9/16 chambers/cones you will have very tight patterns inside 35 yards. I recommend using SpredR loads to help spread the pattern.

Pine Creek/Dave

I have never seen this effect , I thought patterns where determined by choke and shot hardness .
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:18 am  Reply with quote

Earl , the 3'' gun is easy - just have a machinist drill out an 870 .... However , before you do this , 1st try some 11/4 mags and also my 13/8 super mag . You'll know the real reason 16's work so well as is . M12's for instance all came with hard butt plates . Kick like hell !! And that was with older type ammo . Really , the 3/4 , 7/8 and 1 oz loads we have today ARE the golden age of the 16 . And , if it really is a concern , there are all kinds of shorter shells to buy . Things like plastic wads , harder , rounder shot and a plethora of powder choices - we are GOOD to go . (and the work some of the guys are doing here with alternative shot - we are REALLY good to go !!)

tdnathens
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

If you shoot 2 3/4" lead shells in a 2 9/16" chamber you damage many of the pellets when the shot shell opens in the barrel instead of the chamber. This causes scattered larger patterns. It makes it own spreader load from all the damaged shot spreading in many directions. The largest benefit of having a proper length chamber is to stop damaging shot and blowing patterns.
Tom
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

tdnathens wrote:
If you shoot 2 3/4" lead shells in a 2 9/16" chamber you damage many of the pellets when the shot shell opens in the barrel instead of the chamber. This causes scattered larger patterns. It makes it own spreader load from all the damaged shot spreading in many directions. The largest benefit of having a proper length chamber is to stop damaging shot and blowing patterns.
Tom

I guess that might be possible but I have never seen that effect either at lease to where I could ever notice it .

Tom you ever do any pattern testing that show that result ?
tdnathens
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

(fn16ga) Yes, over the years our pattern testing bore this improvement out. To be fair when we lengthened the chamber we also lengthened the forcing cone. Our reamers did both at the same time. Any barrels we shipped out also requested forcing cone lengthening at the same time. All the articles I studied on this procedure reported the same type of improvement. I remember one study that did not show any improvement but it was with steel shot. If you are getting different results it may be because of newer type wads, power, etc.

Tom
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
Tom is giving you correct info, try the SpredR shells and I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with the nice wide pattern it throws. The 2 1/2" SpredR's shells really make a fine pattern for shooting Grouse, the 2 3/4 are also nice and even throw a wider pattern due to the compressed distorted pellets. The 7 1/2, 2 3/4 shells work extremely well out of my L.C. Smith guns. However the 2nd Barrel with Fiocchi 1300 FPS shells holds very tight patterns with the 2 3/4 shells, great stuff for escaping Grouse, and for shooting thru the edges of Hemlock trees. I now use the 2 1/2" #8 SpredR shells under the 1st Trigger from the C Choked Barrel, and the Fiocchi 2 3/4 #6 1300 FPS under the 2nd Trigger of the IC choked 2nd Barrel, a deadly Grouse hunting set up for sure.

For some unknown reason the Fiocchi 2 3/4 # 6 shells coming out of the IC Choked 2nd Barrel of my L.C. Smith guns is not spreading the pattern as wide. Can't quite figure this out, maybe Tom can explain it.

RGD/Dave

tdnathens
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

I find that each barrel and load are a study unto themselves. There are trends that follow with each type of modification but no two barrels are ever the same.
Tom
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Now that Poly has the 2 1/2 SpredR Shells for reasonable money, I use the SpredR shells in all my 2 9/16 Chambers. No need any more to lengthen the Chambers on any of early American Classic Double guns, when using these SpredR shells, and the original M/F chokes throw real nice patterns with the SpredR Shells.

Further RST now makes 2 1/2" Bismuth shells in #7 & #6 for Duck Hunting with your American Classic double guns. I am picking up some 16's in the near future.

Pine Creek/Dave

No need to open the original Chambers on a fine pre 1913 double gun, now that 2 1/2" SpredR shells are available in 28, 20, 16, and 12. Lion Country Supply will deliver them right to your front door, even in the back woods of Potter County, Pa.
Order off the LC internet sight, and get free shipping.

[URL=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/pine-creek/media/DSC07862.jpg.html] [/URL]

dap
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

tdnathens wrote:
Tom

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Earl,

Pine Creek/Dave

I don't have any personal experience with patterning 2.75" shells in shorter chambers, but I do know that at least one of the above statements is incorrect.