16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 to 20 gauge insert
MagicD
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:48 am  Reply with quote

Besides Lil Skeeter does anyone else make an adapter (insert) 16 to 20 gauge ? Thanks
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Magic D,

I do believe Briley will custom make any kind of inserts and choke you might need.
I know that they made custom 28 Gauge inserts for our L.C. Smith 2E 20 Gauge and they did a perfect job of it.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

Just wondering... how can these inserts work worth a darn??? The wads being used are sized poorly for the barrels, so once the wad exits the chamber you'd get gas blow-by and poor seals, I can't see the 20ga gas seal obturating enough to cover a 16ga bore when shot out of the 20ga chamber?

just curious, thx.
Carlos
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:
Just wondering... how can these inserts work worth a darn??? The wads being used are sized poorly for the barrels, so once the wad exits the chamber you'd get gas blow-by and poor seals, I can't see the 20ga gas seal obturating enough to cover a 16ga bore when shot out of the 20ga chamber?

just curious, thx.

Then again, I hear of some 16 ga. reloads with 20 ga. wads. What's the diff?
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

MagicD wrote:
Besides Lil Skeeter does anyone else make an adapter (insert) 16 to 20 gauge ? Thanks

I don't know, I have heard they have been made but remain surprised due to the metal tolerances...16 to 20.
Good luck.

Inserts work based upon demands made, limits involved and results which are acceptable.

if one pays money for something, folks often are happy.
Sometimes, happy for a good spell.
Sometimes, not.
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

They work FINE when the work,
BUT the difference in gauge hull diameter is so small that the 20 gauge hulls tend to bulge and stick in the 16 to 20 adapter and the insert becomes a pain to use.

The 16/20 adapters are quite thin. I have taken mine and slotted them with a dremel cutoff wheel. The 20 gauge hulls will then be un-usable after firing but that is not a concern as I have sooooo many 20 gauge hulls and ammo.

For those wondering, the FACTORY GaugeMates for 10-12 are made with the split.

http://www.littleskeeters.com/products.htm

Mike

P.S. Here they are for purchase on EBAY
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOTGUN-GAUGE-REDUCERS-LITTLE-SKEETERS-16-20-GAUGE-/332258379987?hash=item4d5c2488d3:g:vnsAAMXQlgtTAAGt

P.S.S. the only major performance issues that I have had with inserts if the 410 insert in the 12 gauge. The wads may invert in the barrel and therefore efficiency issues arrive.

Last edited by skeettx on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Roadkill
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

From the ad - "The patterns that these little tubes produce are unbelievably phenomenal!"
As if the inserts could possibly have ANY influence on the pattern! Rolling Eyes
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I am not big on the inserts reducing 16 to 20 or 20 to 28. Even though I own a 2E Elsie double gun that a man mistakenly had Briley permanently alter with full fitted 28 Gauge inserts. Basically turning our original 2E into a 28 gauge Elsie Double gun.

Briley did a magnificent job turning the gun into a 28, however the gun was originally made with a set of the highest grade Damascus Barrels, that can now never be changed back to their original 20 Gauge state. I could ring this guys neck for altering our original Special Order 1899 L.C. Smith 2E double gun. I do love Grouse and woodcock hunting with her however.

There are lots of incredible Classic American Double Guns out there to purchase, spend the money, even if you must save a while, and purchase a good double gun in the gauge you most happen to admire.

Pine Creek/Dave

My Great-Grandfathers Special order 2E, 20 Gauge L.C. Smith Double Gun, with the finest Grade Damascus Barrels, altered with full Briley 28 Gauge Inserts before I recovered the gun. Although not factory original, there is a 28 Gauge 2E Elsie double gun. Rich Painter is historically restoring the stocks at the present time.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52025_600x400/] [/URL]

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:30 am; edited 2 times in total

goathoof
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:27 am  Reply with quote

I have used the gauge mate 16ga to 20 ga reducer in both my drillings. I have had no problems. I have chronographed the 20 ga shells from the 16 ga barrels and the velocity is within normal limits to what the 20 ga shells report on the box. The patterns with the 20 ga shells are very similar to the normal 16 ga patterns from the drillings. The split in the metal insert does leave a mark on the fired hull. I do not reload the empty 20 ga hulls, so I cannot comment on the "reloadability" after firing.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:14 am  Reply with quote

goathoof,

Good actual tested insert information, I also find the full length 20 to 28 inserts in the our 2E L.C. Smith to preform as the 28 actually should. It patterns perfectly with the SpredR shells also.

I have never tested the short inserts to actually note the performance, thanks for the advise.

Saw a nice 16x16/9.3x72R pre war Krieghoff listed in the Vintage Doubles in the SSM this last month, real sweet pre war engineering and craftsmanship. Unfortunately we are right in the middle of purchasing a new home, and I am unable to purchase it. Always wanted a pre war Kriegoff 16 Drilling, this looks like a beauty.

Pine Creek/Dave

MagicD
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

goathoof wrote:
I have used the gauge mate 16ga to 20 ga reducer in both my drillings. I have had no problems. I have chronographed the 20 ga shells from the 16 ga barrels and the velocity is within normal limits to what the 20 ga shells report on the box. The patterns with the 20 ga shells are very similar to the normal 16 ga patterns from the drillings. The split in the metal insert does leave a mark on the fired hull. I do not reload the empty 20 ga hulls, so I cannot comment on the "reloadability" after firing.

Do you know if the gaugemates 16-20 are still available anywhere?
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

They are normally NOT available

Keep asking and also stalk EBAY

Mike

Roadkill
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

goathoof wrote:

The patterns should be almost identical to the normal 16ga patterns, they are 100% determined by the chokes in the 16ga barrels.
goathoof
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:46 am  Reply with quote

I believe I bought the kit about 2012. This is the site: http://www.gaugemate.com/index.php

But it is down for maintenance. Maybe someone knows if the company is still viable or not. Amazon does list the 16/20 gauge kit, but reports it is currently unavailable.