16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Let's talk about the Activ hull
Just4Fun
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:20 am  Reply with quote

I have a supply of these (from the 90's) sitting empty that I'd like to load up with lighter than 1oz. loads. I've found lots of data for 1 oz. and up (and have loaded and fired many of those over the years) but am really enjoying the 3/4 and 7/8 oz. out of my Citori. I have looked through the spreadsheets and saw the Activ listed with quite a few 1 ounce and up loads but not much on the lighter loads. I do know they are obsolete but.............

Comparing the older Alliant book from '92, the Active seems to be in the same volume range as the Federal plastic shell and I am considering some careful experimentation based on that comparison.
I did load a few 7/8 oz. loads using the '92 data for one ounce recipe's, figuring I would be OK dropping the payload weight and not much else. This was based on using the WAA16 1 oz wad, I substituted the CB 7/8 oz wad. I don't have the exact data in front of me but with some machine adjustments, I was able to get decent crimps using little to no wad pressure, 8 point crimps on hulls that have been fired a few times (they certainly weren't new or 1x fired). I feel quite comfortable that I'm in safe territory with this choice. Next experiment will be with the DR 16, same everything else.
They sounded normal and broke clays convincingly on the skeet field, the few I tried. I don't hunt or compete at all so these would all be used on the skeet field. Velocity in the 1150 to 1200 range would fit in to my experience with other gauges just fine.

Lower, safe pressures don't bother me; I don't have to be in the 10-11,000 psi. range nor is some residue left over in the barrel a big deal to me like it is to some others. I don't even mind using a few more grains of a somewhat slower powder like Unique (which I have a good supply of) if it helps keep things safe. The 16 Citori is not my 1st choice as an all day clays gun; rather its a "feel like shooting something different today" gun choice.

The 3/4 oz. of 9's with the DR16 and 16 grains of Green Dot in a Win CF hull is truly a pleasure on the skeet field and if I could get my supply of both new and used Activ hulls in on the supply chain it would put a smile on my face.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:15 am  Reply with quote

I would forget about Unique or Universal for the 3/4 and 7/8 oz. loads you would like to use.

Find a Green Dot load that you like the velocity with in a Cheddite or Federal hull and use it in the Activ hulls. The DR16 is the right wad.

Being even close to 11,500 PSI isn't even a consideration with the Activ hulls and the loads you are suggesting.

DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:52 am  Reply with quote

An Alliant Powder handbook from the 1990s shows a recipe for 1 ounce that you can probably adapt by lowering the shot weight to 3/4.

16-gauge Activ hull
CCI 209 primer
16.5 grains Red Dot powder
Activ G-28 wad
1 oz shot

Pressure 10,100 PSI
Velocity 1,165 FPS

The G-28 is the same as the SG-16 wad sold by BPI and others.
Just4Fun
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Powders on hand for other loading includes Green Dot, Clay Dot, some left over Clays, Unique, 20/28 and a bit of Herco.

I haven't done any volume comparisons between things like GD and Unique to visually compare which is bulkier; more volume taken up with powder seems as if it would only help the crimping situation without using fillers.

The G-28 wads on hand are quite short compared to the others like the DR16, CB 7/8 clone of the AA, and the WAA16 itself.

I did download a copy of the spreadsheets a while back and have been wandering back and forth in them while this idea percolates in my head.

Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 am  Reply with quote

When I first started loading for 16ga, used ACTIV hulls as I had a bunch of hulls.
Terrible, no matter the wad or powder combo, these loads simply would not pattern well enough for me to use. Maybe wasn't just the hull, but enough that I quit using them.
old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:22 am  Reply with quote

They are not the same volume as Federals. They are actually bigger internally.

Sent a PM, send me an email and I can send you a spreadsheet with Activ data,