16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  market for spanish 16's
artesian01
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

I tend to focus on Spanish guns...16's, mostly. Seems like the market has been pretty soft. I missed a couple of AYA #2's at Cabela's in Columbus this winter by about a half hour that were priced incredibly low...talked to the gun library manager and was told that the market is pretty soft, at least from their point of view. I know who bought those two #2's, I saw his ad's on gun broker and few other sights...looks like he was able to make a nice profit, and still offer them at pretty good prices. Seems like guns like Uggies in the grade 1 and 2 range sell pretty quickly...most are priced between $1200-1800 from what I have seen, at least for sub gauges. Lots of 12's around in the $600-$1,000 range it seems in those models. Even AYA #2's (used) appear to be buyable below $4500...I had one shipped from Oregon to Mn to look at (20 gauge) that is around $3600, though it needs a bead replaced. Gorgeous gun...they put about 4 or 5 on their website listing the "model #" as the serial # that is engraved on the bottom of the trigger guard...the one i had shipped is listed as "model #156"...it is a model #2...don't know what is happening there! Goofy! Anyway, curious what others are seeing in the Spanish category...just a bit over 2 months before sharptail season!!!!
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Some of my Spanish guns

Top gun is a Zamacola Hermanos with Simmons rib and Miller single trigger

20 Gauge by Zabala,

and a

12 gauge/20 gauge Royal by Sarriugarte (two barrel set)

artesian01
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

lovely guns!!! thanks for showing.
fourtrax
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:50 am  Reply with quote

Very classy guns.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:43 am  Reply with quote

Those are interesting and very nice looking guns, skeettx! You probably didn't have to pay a king's ransom for them either.

This one is about 1.5 hours from me and has been on AL for a few weeks. Pretty nice sidelock for the money.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/5557238/wisconsin-shotguns-for-sale-trade--victor-sarasqueta-shotgun-sidelock-side-by-side-12-ga
artesian01
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

lots of scams on armslist..nice gun....
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

artesian01 wrote:
lots of scams on armslist..nice gun....

Very true. This guy wants a phone call and a face to face transaction, so I'm betting this one is legit. I'm through my Spanish gun phase, so as nice a gun as this probably is for the money it would just sit.
tda003
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

Urgartechea 16 gauge shotguns. Grade IV (256) and Grade V. Grade V is on top.[img][URL=http://s590.photobucket.com/user/tda003/media/DSCN0039.jpg.html] [/URL][/img]

artesian01
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

tda003 wrote:
Urgartechea 16 gauge shotguns. Grade IV (256) and Grade V. Grade V is on top.[img][URL=http://s590.photobucket.com/user/tda003/media/DSCN0039.jpg.html] [/URL][/img]

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tda003
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

^Thanks. I probably should have mentioned that the only difference in the two, other than the engraving and absence of the tear drop on the stock, is that the Grade V is a round action.

artesian01
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

super sweet!!!!!
tda003
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

This is an AyA No. 2. It's a 20 gauge. I was going to have it bent to a cast on, but the stock maker found several small cracks when he removed the lock plates, so I had him make a fitted stock for me. The stock maker is Del Whitman and he did a superb job. It's a great shooting little gun. With the price increase in AyA I have less invested in it than if I bought one and had AyA make the stock to my dimensions. AyA doesn't warrantee their stocks.[img][URL=http://s590.photobucket.com/user/tda003/media/DSCN0053.jpg.html] [/URL][/img]

tda003
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Not Spanish, but a nice little boxlock by William Ford in 16 gauge (26"barrels)
[img][URL=http://s590.photobucket.com/user/tda003/media/WmFord1.jpg.html] [/URL][/img]

artesian01
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

tda003 wrote:
Not Spanish, but a nice little boxlock by William Ford in 16 gauge (26"barrels)
[img][URL=http://s590.photobucket.com/user/tda003/media/WmFord1.jpg.html] [/URL][/img]

HOLY SCHNEIKE'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Not to start another war here, but I think the reason why the market has softened for affordable Spanish doubles (key word being affordable here) over the last three decades has a lot to do with how accurately the guns shoot, and how the reputation for accurately assembled and regulated barrels has become damaged over the last three decades. Sadly, the barrels made after the 1970s tended to not be as well mated and assembled for accuracy as the earlier ones were up until the late 1990s and into the early 2000s.

How this came to be? In the early 1980s, the Spanish gun making industry was re-organized by the manufacturers to comply w/ a government mandate demanding better safety standards. The industry largely went from each manufacturer making and/or assembling all it's own barrels and frames to buying them from a few firms which specialized in manufacturing them to meet government decreed standards. Most of the individual shotgun manufacturers began assembling and finishing their guns out of these more strongly made components. The down side was that double gun barrels tended to not be as well mated and regulated for accuracy. More economical but less precise mass production techniques were used to make the barrels (and other components too) in order to increase profits in an industry which was also in the midst of an economic down turn.

Since the late 1990s, better, more advanced assembly techniques have been developed and incorporated. Spanish double gun accuracy has steadily improved, but by then the reputation for how well the guns shot had been damaged. It takes time to regain a good reputation once it's been damaged. So it will take time for the market to improve as the Spanish double gun industry regains the trust of the shooters. Just how it is.

Please don't shoot the messenger. Thanks. Better to use the info to your own advantage. Check the barrels out before buying, and if they are good, and then negotiate a better price while the market is still soft. Wink