16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hull catcher
goathoof
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hull catcher that either fits a sweet 16 A5 (made in 1957) or one that can be modified to fit correctly? If there is one, how user friendly is it?
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
goathoof
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you, I will try that.
bfox
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 am  Reply with quote

Birchwood Casey makes a shell catcher that uses double sided tape to attach to the receiver and has a wire to catch the shell. The wire can be either folded down or removed to make the gun fully operational, however you still have the base of the catcher attached to the gun. The directions say that it is for 12 ga. use. I have successfully used it on an older 16 ga. A-5. You just have to bend the wire down until it works. Even when used on a 12 ga. they still need some adjustment.
You can get one at most of the online retailers.

Brian
Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

I saw this post when it was first put up and I've been itching to respond but didn't have an active account. Sorted now thanks to the management.

The easiest solution to this problem is to buy a rectangular Neodymium magnet. Stick it to the action beneath your ejection port and it will catch the hulls as they come out.
I have been using this on all my Auto 5s to great success

Ross
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Ross.m.scott wrote:
I saw this post when it was first put up and I've been itching to respond but didn't have an active account. Sorted now thanks to the management.

The easiest solution to this problem is to buy a rectangular Neodymium magnet. Stick it to the action beneath your ejection port and it will catch the hulls as they come out.
I have been using this on all my Auto 5s to great success

Ross

Ross, welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. The need for shell catchers is only one reason that I don't particularly care for autos. Wink

Good to see another shooter from Ireland.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

Ross.m.scott
WELCOME
On your first posting
I love your magnet idea!!!!
Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have been really enjoying this forum. There are not too many 16g shooters in Northern Ireland. Ammo can be hard to find so I buy it on sight in any gun shop I can find it.
I am driving a Browning BPS at the moment (it shoots sweet with the Terror chokes I got for it). Have a new A5 on order, due to arrive in October 2016...so.it's only 8 months late.

I have played around with the magnet catcher quite a bit. It is effective if you can get the magnet in the right place and use a stong enough magnet.
I found something like a 10x40x5mm was adequate for the job. I will try to make a video of it in action tomorrow.
Ross
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:19 am  Reply with quote

Welcome Ross glad you're enjoying this site and now you're active on here it will be good to hear from you. The magnet idea sounds good . As your a Ballyronan man I take it you hunt the Lough shore for duck it would be good for us to hear a bit about shooting around the largest inland waterways in the UK . Looking forward to seeing your video when you get it done. Always good to get another Northern Ireland member ,all the best WJ.
Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

wj jeffery 16 wrote:
Welcome Ross glad you're enjoying this site and now you're active on here it will be good to hear from you. The magnet idea sounds good . As your a Ballyronan man I take it you hunt the Lough shore for duck it would be good for us to hear a bit about shooting around the largest inland waterways in the UK . Looking forward to seeing your video when you get it done. Always good to get another Northern Ireland member ,all the best WJ.

Hopefully this link works,.it wasn't easy to.get a video, but.you can get the idea from this.

https://youtu.be/bjQ5dcb0cDM

This is from my front door, I live right on the shore of the Lough. We do hunt a lot of ducks from here. Mostly divers, Tufted, Scaup and Pochard.
WJ where do you buy your 16g ammo? It isn't easy to get here. I did manage to pick up 1000 for £200 when Crawfords lost Stephen.
Ross
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

WAY COOL!!!

Question, will the magnet hold and keep TWO steel hulls, like in doubles at skeet??

What fun, I HAVE to get me one of these Smile

Mike

p.s. I just bought these Shocked
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-Neodymium-Block-Magnet-40x20x5mm-New-Super-Strong-Rare-Earth-Magnets/262595912484?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

p.s.s.
OK, what happened to Stephen Jones?
http://crawfordsfieldsports.co.uk/whoweare/

Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
WAY COOL!!!

Question, will the magnet hold and keep TWO steel hulls, like in doubles at skeet??

What fun, I HAVE to get me one of these Smile

Mike

p.s. I just bought these Shocked
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-Neodymium-Block-Magnet-40x20x5mm-New-Super-Strong-Rare-Earth-Magnets/262595912484?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

p.s.s.
OK, what happened to Stephen Jones?
http://crawfordsfieldsports.co.uk/whoweare/

Mike, in short yes it will hold two hulls. If you place the magnet on the action so the 40x5mm side is in contact then it will definitely hold two. I.e. flip through 90°. It takes a little play but it will work nearly 100% of the time.

Jones is one of the great mysteries of our times...nothing is certain but I imagine he and his boss had a difference of opinions. He is now running Roe Valley Country Sports in Dungiven, but has no 16g ammo at last check.

Ross
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:54 am  Reply with quote

Ross great job on the video, I got my last 16ga ammo from Liam McColough who's a vet outside Moss side he had a gun shop open in his yard and I even had choice of shell but he closed up another mystery. Steven Smyth of Smyth's country sports Coleraine got some for me in the past and I was talking to Keith Creelman of outdoor and country sports also of Coleraine he he would be able to get some when I needed . I didn't know Stephen was gone from Crawford's I haven't been in there in a while . I'm thinking I might know you Ross you don't happen to work in Coleraine do you? If your the guy I'm thinking of you will know my son John Anderson. Anyway good to have you on here we can keep an eye out for 16ga ammo for each other ,all the best WJ.
Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:41 pm  Reply with quote

wj jeffery 16 wrote:
Ross great job on the video, I got my last 16ga ammo from Liam McColough who's a vet outside Moss side he had a gun shop open in his yard and I even had choice of shell but he closed up another mystery. Steven Smyth of Smyth's country sports Coleraine got some for me in the past and I was talking to Keith Creelman of outdoor and country sports also of Coleraine he he would be able to get some when I needed . I didn't know Stephen was gone from Crawford's I haven't been in there in a while . I'm thinking I might know you Ross you don't happen to work in Coleraine do you? If your the guy I'm thinking of you will know my son John Anderson. Anyway good to have you on here we can keep an eye out for 16ga ammo for each other ,all the best WJ.

Yes sir that's me. I used to get a bit of gear in Liam's shop, he sold everything to Martin McNicholl who has a shop now. But I've never been to it. Crawford has 16g ammo, but it is £75 a carton.
I am going to be in Maguiresbridge tomorrow, Norman Harpur has Nobelsport 28g #6 ammo in stock. I was going to pick up a few hundred.
Do you handload anything for the 16?
Ross
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Ross no I haven't reloaded any 16ga yet but I save all my used hulls just incase I go that way, this is the place to get plenty of help and information on reloading. I wasn't that sore on my 16ga ammo last season as I shot my 12ga more just seeing if sticking to one gun would be good for my shooting. Jury's Still out on that one. John shot more 16ga than me last season but he has just got his own gun last week so I plan on taking my 16ga Jeffery out more this season .