16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Scratching the 16 gauge itch
EELL
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

Good evening fellow 16 gaugers thought I would update you on my efforts to acquire a 16. I eventually got to visit the owner of the Westley Richards I previously mentioned and it was every bit as good as he described. Unmarked barrels, lovely timber, tight as a drum and light as a feather. We have agreed terms and I'm currently waiting for the Irish police to process my permit application. Over here you need a separate permit for every gun and have to go through the same process of applying and waiting. Real pain and no doubt designed to cut down on gun ownership but that's the joys of living in the Emerald Isle !!
Hope to have it through in the coming weeks and will post pics of the gun when I collect it
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful!!!!

tic - toc - tic - toc - tic - toc

Mike

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:19 am  Reply with quote

EELL,

Should be a real nice 16 double gun when you finally get her, definitely post some pictures of her when she arrives home.

I do feel for you guys living without our US Constitution and 2nd Amendment. Getting special permission from another human or government to own your own fire arms is definitely a dangerous way for your family to live.

Looking forward to seeing some nice pictures of your 16 WR!

Welcome to the 16 Gauge forum and Gun Talk.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Glad you're gun worked out for you, be good to see your photos when you get her home and then some out in the field with some game when the season starts.We know what it's like waiting on your licence coming back up here too tic-toc tic-toc 🕰 only slower🙁 but worth the wait. WJ.
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

EELL,
Welcome aboard and Erin Go Bragh. Don't know how this thread eluded me. Many of us here love to hunt woodcock. Your woodcock is larger than ours and from what I gather, has a different habitat preference than ours. I've read accounts of Irish hunters finding them in heather covered hillsides in addition to wooded areas. Gil
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the site and I am happy to hear you are about to become addicted to the 16. Is your Westley Richards a drop lock?

Enjoy the site and all the good folks that inhabit it.

Good Hunting,
Mike
JNW
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Almost 2 pages and no talk of the greatest product to ever come out of Ireland - Guinness!!!!!!!
EELL, I'm glad you have a wonderful new-to-you shotgun. Walk up hunting in Ireland is on my to do list. Given the ammo situation I may have to bring my 20 gauge (gasp) Beretta o/u. And again, welcome to the forum.
Regards,
Jeff
tda003
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:16 am  Reply with quote

A tour of Guinness comes with two half pints and a trip through Northern Ireland should yield a stop at the Bushmills distillery, which also includes (or did for me, anyway) a bit of their product. Let me quickly add that there are apparently other things to see as well.

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff give us plenty of notice and we will stock up on the Guinness and the 16ga shells and Bushmills is just down the road from here , sure sounds fun all the best in the meantime WJ.
EELL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:31 am  Reply with quote

Well guys licence eventually issued and the 16 has been added to the gun safe. First thing I have done is recast the stock. It was very strongly cast for right handed shooters so being a ciotog (Gaelic for south paw) had to get out the linseed oil and the heat gun. Glad to report it bent beautifully and now comes to the shoulder perfectly.

Had a minor heart attack when I noticed a small bulge in the bottom rib near the muzzle. A slight tap resulted in it detaching from the end of the barrel for about 3". Small amount of rust but no major damage and luckily my buddy and local gun dealer managed to resolder it without any damage to the bluing, so all good now.

Took a few pics with my phone and links shown below

Anyone who gets the opportunity should certainly come to Ireland for walked up/ rough shooting. Plan a visit for December or January when we have our full migration of Scandinavian and Russian woodcock and enjoy a Guinness or two and a few Bushmills after a hard day on the hills

https://ibb.co/jhtick
https://ibb.co/fF1fOQ
https://ibb.co/eCMuHk
https://ibb.co/mEGiA5
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:01 am  Reply with quote

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:07 am  Reply with quote

EELL that's one beauty of a gun hope you many happy hunts together ,do you know any history of the coat of arms on it ? Happy hunting WJ.
EELL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:46 am  Reply with quote

It's the Hartshorn family Crest. I'm in contact with Westley Richards in Birmingham and hope to get the original sales invoice and ledger details. Would be nice to have a bit of history on the gun. Can't wait for September and a chance to try it on some ducks and partridge !!