16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Planning a Wyoming-YNP-Nebraska Road Trip
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:01 am  Reply with quote

This is a little off-center for the site, but I know we have knowledgeable folks here who may have the information I’m looking for. The long and the short of it is that I am planning a road trip next month with the following points to hit: (a) central Nebraska, to visit some family and see the total eclipse (their house is under the umbra); (b) flyfish Yellowstone; (c) Wyoming, the High Plains, Devils’ Tower, maybe Rushmore, maybe the Cody Museum. Never been to Nebraska, been to YNP to fish 2x (1993, 2000). Leaning more towards the streams in the eastern/northeastern part of the Park. I’m open on whether to hit Yellowstone before or after the eclipse, but I am leaning towards “before”, if only because it will allow me to drive “downhill” from YNP to Nebraska. I expect to do a bit of car camping, if only b/c I’m cheap.
So, what I’m asking for is some info on where to go, what to expect, maybe some local knowledge on fishing outside the Park. Some of those mountains between Cody and the Park look like they might have good trout streams, likewise the mountains south and east of the Park.
IF any of you are willing to help, I’d be most grateful. I’ll welcome pms, whatever.

jschultz
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:18 am  Reply with quote

The rivers and streams in the park and in Western WY are in flood stage. I suggest that you contact the fly shop below for water conditions and hatch information.
North Fork Anglers
(307) 527-7274
I you go to the Cody Museum, plan on at least 2 days. Lots to see.
Have fun.
Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Don't know that you'll be able to get any camping/lodging reservations on that short of notice for Yellowstone. Check b4 you go. Its expensive but staying in the lodges at the national parks is worth it to me and my family. Plus one on whats been said about Cody and the museum. We were there on the Fourth of July when we went and there was lots going on including Rodeo and a great parade. Have a great trip whenever you go!

gomerdog
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:24 am  Reply with quote

We've had more snow this winter than I can ever remember so the streams are all high still, but by August 1 they should be down to fishable levels. The North Fork of the Shoshone between Cody and the East Entrance should be great fishing by then. There are Forest Service campgrounds along the river, but you should see about making reservations if you want to camp there. Buffalo Bill State Park is right outside of Cody, which would make a good place to camp if you want to see the museum and fish the North Fork. It's not all that scenic, but it would be convenient. There are spaces that have electricity, if that's important to you. Pick up a canister of pepper spray as the North Fork is prime grizzly bear habitat.

I can't speak to fishing in Yellowstone, as I have never done that but I have heard that Slough Creek in the northern part of the park is heralded as a great place to catch impressive cutthroat trout.

Stop in Thermopolis on your way through at the fly shop there and ask about the Big Horn River, as I know that is a destination for big rainbow and brown trout.

Good luck!
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Dave, as you know the eclipse is Aug 21st. EVERYTHING in central Wyoming has been booked up for months, and the prices are going to be sky high.

Unless you have personal friends to stay with, i would wait another year for your trip if possible.

You say you are cheap, well YNP, and Western Wyoming during the summer any year will give you wallet shock!

That being said, your trip sounds great, I wish you well.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
jbusch720
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:28 am  Reply with quote

If your travel route includes the Big Horn Mountains, make a point to fish the North Tongue River off of highway 14A. As mentioned earlier, the Wedding of the Waters on the Big Horn/Wind River by Thermopolis has great fishing. Send me a PM if you plan on coming through the Sheridan/Big Horn Mountain area, and I can give you specific directions to areas with excellent fishing.
mikemv
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, I just returned from YNP last Sunday. Spent 5 days in the park. Can't tell you about fishing as I didn't.
I will tell you that the park was the most crowded I have seen it in my three trips there.

All the folks working at the motels were talking about how crowded they expect it to be for the eclipse so be prepared. Also we got caught in a couple of buffalo jams! Hour plus delay each time and traffic backed up several miles so be prepared as that can really impact your schedule for the day. The herd seem to have expanded greatly since our last trip 3 years ago and they know who has the right of way!

All that said, YNP is always a great trip for us. Our next trip this year is to your state to visit our favorite park, Acadia, for probably the 30 th. time!
Have a great trip and travel safe.
mike
goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:50 am  Reply with quote

If you are in central Nebraska, take a trip through and around the sandhills. Also if you are close to North Platte, there is a great shotgun club nearby for trap and skeet.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Dave,

Consider Montana also. The Yellowstone up around Taylors Fork outside the North Gate, has great Rainbow Trout Fly Fishing. Use some big flies and stand back for some of the greatest Dry Fly fishing on earth. 9-12 Foot 6X and 5X Super Strong Constant Tapered leaders on a nice Slow Action Bamboo Fly Rod will automatically set the big Rainbows for ya. Fish the edges with a 2x Long Parachute Drake #10 thru #6. Just be careful of the Griz!

Pine Creek/Dave

The Yellowstone provides great Fly Fishing Memories!

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52026_600x400/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:40 am  Reply with quote

Living at the epicenter of the Eclipse path, I am going to disappear for days. A mosh pit experience is pretty much what is expected here. Jackson Hole should be avoided at all cost, it will be even worse. As a kid I watched a couple of these around the world, it is neat but not what they are hyping it up to be.
The good news about your August travels is that in the high country mosquitos are pretty much gone by the 5th or so. Great time to run around catching grayling, golden's etc.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

You "might" visit the Buffalo Bill Cody museum/ firearms exhibit? "Might" or "maybe" needs to become "must". Worthwhile expenditure of time.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

As far as the eclipse goes, forest fire smoke or cloudy weather could free up a lot of cheap lodging!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:42 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

I agree the Cody Museum is definitely a place to visit for the entire family.

One of my favorite displays is the Annie Oakley L.C. Smith Guns in the Cody Museum.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Beagleman
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 am  Reply with quote

First trip to YNP last June. Fabulous! The Cody gun museum is a must. I spent all morning wandering around looking at every gun imaginable. Had lunch at the Erma hotel. Then I spent my afternoon across from the gun museum, at the hospital with a kidney stone.
Do the museum and the Erma, leave out the stone.

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Cody, WY is called the rodeo capital of the world with a rodeo every night during the summer.