16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  removed front bead
kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:11 am  Reply with quote

when I shoot trap, sometimes I forget and watch the barrel instead of the bird causing a miss, sooo I tried blacking out the front bead, but it kept coming off, so I removed the front bead last night and shot 4 rounds today, best so far, my average went up a bird and a half. nice to finally fix a problem.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:53 am  Reply with quote

Kinda like cutting the tines off a fork in order to lose weight.
artesian01
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:53 am  Reply with quote

me too...on birds...never put it back on my gun!
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

I took my Front bead of the the first clays gun I owned, Browning Gold. If I could find the set screws to fill the holes on my bird guns, I would do the same in a heartbeat. once you have gun fit and muscle memory down for the mount, I don't see much point it it being there...
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

He he he
What a wonderful posting Smile

Matt 18:9
9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell
(KJV)

Modern translation, if the sight gets in the way of breaking the target ...

What ever works for YOUR gun and for YOUR shooting

Mike

JNW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Removing the front sight does help some people, but not everyone. I had heard of folks improving their shooting by removing the front sight. If you have a habit of looking at the gun a lot this can help. I had a pair of barrels polished and reblued years ago and they came back without a front sight as I was going to put it on myself. So, I tried shooting it without a front sight. I was lost! Apparently, I use the front sight in my peripheral vision to guide the barrels. I do not have a problem with looking at the front sight and measuring, but I apparently do use the front sight for reference. We're all different and you do not know if something is going to work until you try it. If you find yourself looking at the gun a lot, and this is hard to self diagnose, try shooting without a front sight. If just might be the ticket.
Regards,
Jeff
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

I had a Savage 24 22M/410 that I used as one of the guns for hunter education live fire. Sine they were using it to fire only 410 I removed the open rear notch and the front bead. Some of the parents would go ballistic- "how do you expect my son/daughter to hit anything with that gun, you've removed the sights?". After hearing the same pitch from several parents, I just put the sights back on and watched the kids consistently shoot behind the clay. Oh well.
kgb
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

I had the front bead of a new gun fall off somewhere during a round of skeet. I noticed it when starting a new round and realized it was no big deal. I asked for a new front bead and installed it when it arrived. Otherwise there'd be nothing out there to ignore!

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

I'm left handed and left eye dominate but shoot right handed. A bead draws my attention to the top of the barrel not down the left side. Helps me a bunch. To each his own,I'm lost without it.
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:36 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
I'm left handed and left eye dominate but shoot right handed. A bead draws my attention to the top of the barrel not down the left side. Helps me a bunch. To each his own,I'm lost without it.

All right side for me, except pretty sure the right eye dominance is scarcely on that side. Sometimes the left eye wants to take over. If I'm to shoot an o/u it's best if the left thumb can ride high enough to block that eye's view of the barrels.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:45 am  Reply with quote

I think I could do fine without beads on my ribbed OU's and autos and I tend to prefer small beads. I have one exception and that's my Beretta SxS. It had a very small brass bead and after some trial and error I found I shoot it best with a small white Bradley bead. It's not a big blob, but the white stands out better than the small brass bead and on that shotgun it's what I need.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:06 am  Reply with quote

I never thought much about it one way or the other so I guess it's not an issue for me. I like the look of ivory beads on vintage sxs's and always put them on if they're not there to begin with, but I don't recall ever seeing them when I'm shooting Confused .

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
tramroad28
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Naturally, how one chooses to alter a scattergun is up to the individual.
George Evans, for example, chose to alter his Purdey by having a comparably large ramp added as a base for the front bead….his reasoning was snow accumulation, as I recall.
What Dr. Norris would have thought, how some elder Purdey craftsman would have cringed or, anyone else’s ideas on the matter…raised not a whit of concern from him.
As that alteration made sense to him and since shooting a scattergun at birds is simplicity itself and with enough factors affecting the shot other than fretting over bead, yes or no….change matters little in such trivial matters as bead.

However, I wish I had a worn dime for every time I have heard some fella say…”I changed ‘X’ and gained a target or two”…implying a miracle derived from the change.
What often happens, imo, for myself and others, is that when we change some component or particular….we actually concentrate more in the shooting….we, focus more…in the moment and there originates the better practice clay scores.
Will that “better” last?
Maybe, for as long as “better” lasted when we bought or created that last great new scattergun perhaps…doubtful tho, just not the way the real world works.
We all soon slip to being human.
It remains, when given a reasonable level of scattergun fit, that better shooting springs from better basics…not whacking off a bead or the like.
The gun is unlikely to be the problem or issue, odds on.

I do recall breaking those ridiculous plastic tube front sights on a Beretta….I hit on occassion when it was missing. Not because the tube(bead) was gone but simply because I made the shot.
I soon replaced the orange thing with a nice bead…for the esthetics.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

I've heard tell that the bead of a shotgun is best used to find a crevice when propping a gun up against a tree; that quote is from a shooting school that produces "gunners." I use a orange light tube for a front bead that creates a clear picture of peripheral contrast between the target upon which focus I have made and the barrels. Not necessary, but gives me good vibrations. Reno

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:45 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
Bead or no Bead it should not matter concentrate on the bird with both eyes, your gun mount should become an ingrained reflex action, especially when Grouse hunting.
The dog should be bringing the bird back before you have even realized you went into action.

RGD/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers