16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Summer "chukar training"
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Well here goes with the first attempt at using jpgbox. Hopefully I did everything right.

Anyway, summer is a great time to keep in shape for both dog and man. On the 11th I decided to fulfill a 30 year dream that hatched at age 15. I wanted to hike above 12,000' and look into four drainages that come together at the top of the Wind River range near my home...in the same afternoon. There comes a time when a man says to himself, "just go".

What I witnessed was beyond my dreams and I have seen some astonishing things in my time. A few thoughts on life at over two miles above sea level. 1) the might and power of God really sinks in. 2) there really isn't much air up there 3) next time I am wheezing on a mountainside below a covey of chukars, I have no excuses.

Rusty enjoyed the trip and made me look slow. However, you know the air is thin when the dog is panting too. On the way back down he amazed me (he continues to find ways) by retracing every step we made...in the dark. I started following him when I noticed he seemed to know the way, even though it was a new route (no trail until we dropped down a couple miles either). He was more precise than I was with a GPS in hand.

Each time he crossed snow, he was exactly in my tracks from seven hours previous. World's greatest nose? Sheer intelligence? Who knows? I may have to take his training up a notch and see what he is truly capable of. Look out chukars!
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52073_512x768/] [/URL]]
[/img[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52071_512x768/] [/URL]
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52072_1024x683/] [/URL]
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52080_1024x683/] [/URL]][/img]

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

If you click on the horizontal images, they can be viewed in better resolution. Well worth it.

Chukarman
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo -- incredible. Take it to the next level.

TripleH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Unreal. What a way to spend an afternoon.

Thank you for sharing those.

Rob
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:44 am  Reply with quote

Beautiful country, thanks for the pictures. Some years back, I climbed Mt Whitney (14, 503') a few times. We used a breathing method called "grunt breathing" to get more oxygen at that altitude. It was simply taking in a deep breath, grunting down on it for a few seconds, then exhaling. The principle was to simply increase the pressure in the lungs to concentrate that 21% oxygen more and increase your ability to absorb what oxygen was available. Every little bit helps at that altitude.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:27 am  Reply with quote

It sure does. Intentionally taking deep breaths helped me. Eating frequent snacks and drinking extra water is a must too. The cool weather adds a little spunk for me also, I struggle with heat. Today's heat has me wanting to back real soon.