16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  SP16 Wads + Powder Migration
TripleH
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

I had a quick question after having read much of the conversations in various threads regarding the issues of powder migration with the Remington SP16 Wads and the larger hull types (Fed/Ched/Rio etc.).

Is the problem consistent regardless of powder used? Or is it really more evident with just a few of the "smaller" (realize that's not the correct term) granule type powders?

I see Longshot & 800x mentioned fairly frequently as the primary offenders.

Was looking at a few bismuth load options that I have materials on hand for. Saw most that had the Federal + SP16 + Longshot combo that I've read a lot about being problematic, but I also see a few using Universal and one using Unique instead.

Would either of those powders negate or reduce migration or would they have the same issues as longshot?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions.

Rob
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Powder migration is dependent on variables that include:
Gap between wad base and hull
Size of powder granules
Shape of powder granules

and most importantly
Amount of time and movement loaded shell is exposed to between loading and firing.
STV311A
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Powder migration will not be an issue with 800X or A Steel which are large flake type powders. Stay away from Ball powders like Longshot unless you use an over powder wad to stop the migration.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:07 am  Reply with quote

just remember , the Rem wads were only truly matched to the Rem hulls or Win comp formed . The Rem wads are listed in many , many loads and may work out , maybe not . I ran into a BIG problem with Nitro and these wads on one of my 1st trips to Standing Rock . If you are gonna use these , pay close attn. to Mark's thread on the tyvek . 2 miles out on the prairie is NOT the time to find out a problem exists - my savior was I had several different loads in my pocket !

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:08 am  Reply with quote

As was stated ball powders like Longshot, WW540 and WW571 are about the worst, they will migrate. SP-16 wad was designed for taper wall hulls not straight wall hulls so their is fit issue.
With Unique or Universal you may not have to much as the flake size seems to be large enough to negate it.
I am a big fan of Gas Seals or Nitro cards under the Sp-16 wads and have been shooting them for years with finer powders, if you know what your doing you can use powders like Longshot with great success, contrary to what many of the experts on here seem to think.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:46 am  Reply with quote

16GAwaterfowler wrote:
As was stated ball powders like Longshot, WW540 and WW571 are about the worst, they will migrate. SP-16 wad was designed for taper wall hulls not straight wall hulls so their is fit issue.
With Unique or Universal you may not have to much as the flake size seems to be large enough to negate it.
I am a big fan of Gas Seals or Nitro cards under the Sp-16 wads and have been shooting them for years with finer powders, if you know what your doing you can use powders like Longshot with great success, contrary to what many of the experts on here seem to think.

To be a bit more precise, All the 1st generation Remington plastic wads like the SP16 and R16 were designed to fit the 1st generation Remington polyformed plastic hulls which were straight walled in every gauge. The plastic tubing used was thicker, so it had a smaller inside diameter.

Remington eventually replaced their 1st generation polyformed hulls with molded one piece hulls in every gauge but the 16. The one modification they did decide on was to incorporate a plastic base wad instead of the original compressed fiber one. So the smaller diameter SP16 and R16 wads still fit the 16 gauge hulls very well.

It's simply happenstance that the SP16 and R16 also fit the original compression formed Winchester AA 16 ga hulls well. But since these hulls have not been made in three decades, it's not of much importance now.

So it's best to learn some reloading tricks to avoid powder migration or choose a different wad which fits the modern and roomier Cheddite type polyformed 16 ga hulls better. But since 16 ga components are still somewhat limited in relation to the other gauges, we 16 gauge reloaders must learn to do what we need to to get by.

So tricks it must be, but we're a clever lot. We have to be. Wink
TripleH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback.

Since I do have 100 or so RGL once fired hulls along with the SP16 wads, and Rem primers, for now I've decided to just snag a 1lb bottle of Longshot and use one of the published Hodgon recipes for those components.

Considering I'm still so new to the reloading scene, and the relatively low volume of Non-Tox I'll shoot each year, it seems the prudent move.

Another question: I assume the SP16 shows up so frequently in the bismuth recipes due to increased volume needs for 1 oz. of bis vs 1 oz. of lead. Is this the case or are their other attributes of the wad that also make it the predominant wad?

It seems logical, however that also makes me think i'd also see more bismuth recipes for the z-16 or other higher capacity wads for Rio/Fed/Ched hulls, and I actually see very few?

Thanks again all.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Longshot leaks with a lot of combinations. 800-x is the polar opposite.

I think a lot of the SP16 data has to do with the fact that it was the only commonly available wad for a long time. The euro wads are an option but available from limited sources so powder manufacturers probably want to get out the data with Rem wads first. They also don't put much emphasis on our favorite gauge. Unfortunate. I have done my part to increase popularity of the 16ga. but it is just not a top seller. Shame.

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:10 am  Reply with quote

TripleH wrote:
Another question: I assume the SP16 shows up so frequently in the bismuth recipes due to increased volume needs for 1 oz. of bis vs 1 oz. of lead. Is this the case or are their other attributes of the wad that also make it the predominant wad?

It seems logical, however that also makes me think i'd also see more bismuth recipes for the z-16 or other higher capacity wads for Rio/Fed/Ched hulls, and I actually see very few?

I think its a matter of shot cup depth/barrel scrub and why I use the SP's in my trap/long range loads and SG's in short range, the BP & DR wads have cup depths in the 0.660" range & the SP is ~0.970" I don't know what the CB0100-16 or 0078-16 depths are (plan on finding out soon) but they look much deeper than the DR, SG & Z wads.