16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Useless warranties
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am  Reply with quote

Where went all the accountability? I bought a Stevens 555 from Buds Gunshop. At the second box of ammo the gun failed. The trunion pin on the right moved to the right and no longer supported the barrels while I was shooting targets. The gun came apart in my hands after the last round was fired. SO
I called Buds they refused to help me and after all their talk about their warrantes it turns out there is none. SO
I called Savage, after 30 min. of waiting, I explain to them what happened and that I did not want the gun because it is dangerous . The only help I am eligible for is a repair or replacement. as determined by them. They even tried to make me pay for the shipping. The company policy is repair or replacement only. the warrentee in the manual does not say this so I did not know this going in. SO BEWARE and if you have this kind of experience with a firearm transaction please tell others what went went down.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Oh that's amusing. I had a similar experience with a Howa 1500 Varmint years ago. It didn't group well even though I had pillar bedded the stock and set up the gun properly.
Closer inspection revealed that a burr had been rolled down the barrel by the rifling button during manufacture. It was quite visible. Howa's response? Does it group under 2 moa?! Not acceptable for a varmint gun. I usually am able to get 1/2 moa out of them after proper bedding and load work.
Thankfully the distributer stepped in and replaced the gun for me. You might look into that option.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 am  Reply with quote

I had one experience where the gun (an Italian clone of a Colt SAA). The firing pin would make a burr where it passed through the frame, enlarging the hole. the store took it back, polished off the burr, reblued it. I took it again, same thing and also the arm that advances the cylinder broke into two pieces. I took it back. The salesman said it clearly was a defective gun & refunded the entire purchase price to me. It wasn't long before I gave the money back to them as I purchased another gun that I had for several years. that occurance was about 40 years ago. It doesn't sound like that is the norm anymore- much the pity. And I'd been hearing such good things about the new Savages.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:48 am  Reply with quote

You made the original choice......best of luck in being able to enjoy any replacement offered.
I suspect the odds will fall your way this next time with receiving a 555 which is closer to, not better than, what the shotgun is.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Kind of a pile on here, but...
I bought a Stevens 555 in 28ga around Feb 17. First time to the range, first 4 shots or so, it double fired. Did so maybe 8 of 10 attempts.

Stevens said pack it up and send it in to them, which I just haven't gotten around to yet, but will do so sooner or later.
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

They will pay for shipping if you insist on it. After all why should there mistake cost you anything. My 28 was a great target breaker and I am disappointed that a gun I couldnt miss with was a POS.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Contrast the above with Ithaca. They will send a shipping label and get it done. Gil
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:39 am  Reply with quote

I bought a new Sig/Sauer p320 pistol on the 19th of July, the take down lever was terribly hard to operate.

The 21st of July. I called Sig, they emailed me a RMA that day, and I sent the pistol back that day.

I just received an email from Sig this morning, and I will be receiving my pistol tomorrow. Fed Ex two day service.

No cost to me both ways.

I believe Sig stands behind their warranties.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Woody402
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Ruger has awesome customer service. I have a Single Six I took in a trade. The grip frame fit horrible and so did the ejector rod housing. So I contacted them and they said send it back. It was back in 10 days fixed no charge even though I wasn't original owner.
artesian01
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Woody402 wrote:
Ruger has awesome customer service. I have a Single Six I took in a trade. The grip frame fit horrible and so did the ejector rod housing. So I contacted them and they said send it back. It was back in 10 days fixed no charge even though I wasn't original owner.

bot a red label 28 gauge this spring...had some bluing worn off. 20 year old gun. I sent it to them...3 weeks later it showed up. reblued at their expense. I was not at the original owner!!!!
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:09 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't care so much for the options Ruger gave me when I sent a damaged M77 back to them a few years back. It was the old style M77 with the tang safety. While out of the stock the tang had been bumped and it was bent so that the safety wouldn't slide and the action wouldn't seat down into the stock. Ruger said the rifle was unserviceable and unrepairable but they would be glad to credit it against the sale of a new one to me at MSRP. The market being what it is, the credit they were going to give resulted in a purchase price about the same as I could purchase a new rifle in the store. So I had them send it back to me (after I signed a disclaimer releasing Ruger of any harm in the event someone was injured as a result of using the rifle.
I took the rifle to my gunsmith. He heated the tang, bent it back to the correct position and rehardened it. Good as new and very easily and cheaply done. So much for Ruger's desire to junk the gun over an easy repair.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:59 am  Reply with quote

Warranties on most items are getting shorter, cover less, and demand greater expense from the buyer (return shipping, etc.); just another part of the new charge more/deliver less economy. I think many companies claim a warranty because it will help sell the product, and then make it so expensive or so much hassle that the buyer won't bother with it. Similar to rebates; the company is betting many buyers won't bother to claim them, thus saving the company money over offering the discount upfront.

It borders on criminal, however, when the product's failure could injure or kill someone.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Received my Sig P320 back from Sig today, take down lever works the way it should.
Sig received the pistol on the 25th of July, they sent it back to me on the 31st, and I received it today the 2nd of August.

No cost to me whatsoever. I paid $140.00 less than mfgr suggested retail price, and no tax, as I purchased it at the Base Exchange at WAFB in Cheyenne, WY.

Sig more than lived up to their obligation to the customer, and I will buy from them again.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...