16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  I've adopted a Baker
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Well, something new for me: a Baker 16ga. I have long wondered about Bakers and have a penchant for items that fit in the non standard category so I finally bought a Baker.

Mixed feelings upon its arrival today. The dealer's pics didn't show a few things. The gunsmith who "restored" it, I use the term loosely, got carried away with the buffer at the muzzle end. There are remedies. The stock has some cracking, once again, I can remedy that. The bores are polished over pitting, not severe, but annoying. The forend has a strange, square insert (I believe someone stripped a screw and over drilled during repair).

However the gun does handle and point very well and that is a big part of the equation, no disappointments there. 6 1/2 lbs and perfect balance at the hinge pin. It does pass the empty primed hull test.

So my dilemma is do I keep her and rectify these issues or return the Baker and hunt down another copy that I can do the work on myself. My typical purchase is a gun that obviously needs work and/or refurbishing, one that I acquire cheap then do the endless hours of careful handwork needed to produce a real nice shooter. I am leaning towards keeping but at the same time, if I am going to put that much effort into the job...
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52250_600x400/] [/URL]][/img]
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52251_600x400/] [/URL]][/img]

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps keep her, but do identify to the seller your concerns and see if the price can be adjusted
Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
kennedy756
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:21 am  Reply with quote

what is the empty primed hull test?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
canvasback
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:14 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Perhaps keep her, but do identify to the seller your concerns and see if the price can be adjusted
Mike

That's what I would do. I bought a ejector gun last fall (a reasonably high value gun) and the ad said, among other things, that the ejectors worked fine. Took delivery and the ejectors weren't fine. One of the rods was broken. Discussed with the seller and got a substantial reduction in price. Certainly enough to pay for a top drawer repair by a name gunsmith.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Empty primed hull test: see if the gun properly punches the primers. Use an empty hull then put a live primer in it. Clean residue out of barrel after gun pops primer. Snap caps don't give any visual proof of sufficient firing pin profusion on impact. Been there. I once had an over/under that struggled to pop primers, the firing pin for the lower barrel was mushroomed a bit where the hammer struck it. Externally the gun looked fine.

As for adjusting the price, the gun was a consignment. It is going back. The re color job has tattletale signs of torch work.

I don't see any 16 ga. Bakers at the moment that I must have, but there is a Lefever that I know I will be happy with. Eventually the right deal on a Baker will come along, no hurry.

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:

As for adjusting the price, the gun was a consignment. It is going back. The re color job has tattletale signs of torch work.

I don't see any 16 ga. Bakers at the moment that I must have, but there is a Lefever that I know I will be happy with. Eventually the right deal on a Baker will come along, no hurry.

Good move sending it back. The torch job was pretty evident in the pics you posted. Thankfully you realized it and made the correct decision to return it.

I have a Baker for sale at the moment with what I consider 99.9% factory case coloring. Unfortunately it's a 12ga Embarassed If you'd like to see what factory colors on a Baker look like, I'd be happy to email you a couple pics. I'd post them here, but have yet to figure out how to post pics from an IPad to this site.

Best of luck in your search.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

Paragon

"B"

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful guns, skeettx. Someday. Someday. For now, I have Lefevers coming.

One is a 12 ga. project requiring a good bit of work and the other is a 26" barreled 16ga. The 16 is a field gun and the 12 ga. is an "E" in need of a stock and one other item that is actually quite involved. The price on the "E" was very low and the owner was up 100% front with what work is needed. It will require a great deal of time but I am looking forward to it. I have nice wood that has been waiting for the right gun.

My gun budget is spent...for a while! The right Baker will find me eventually.

67galaxie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:06 pm  Reply with quote

I agree. If you do want a baker I know a baker nut that probably has a few to trade or sell to ya. Still looking for a Wilkes-Barre hammer less myself
canvasback
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:42 am  Reply with quote

Beautiful gun, Mike. Stupidly I passed on THREE Paragons about 10 years ago, available for a song. Oh well.

The dreaded torch! Sounds like the right move WyoChukar.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz