16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddite Case Stretch and A-5 FTE
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Cheddites have been my preferred hulls for a variety of reasons, but they have been jamming in my favorite skeet gun, (now our favorite skeet gun if we include family members), which is a vintage 65mm A-5 16 ga with a 25 1/2 in. open cylinder (as marked) barrel.

The little gun is awesome for skeet, but the FTEs were obviously a problem for the doubles. After exhaustive cleaning and troubleshooting, the problem was traced to hull stretch in the 2.5 in. Cheddite reloads. We determined that after a couple of firings, the Cheddite hulls stretch a mm or so, causing a FTE, because fired hulls longer than 2 9/16 in. will hang up in the ejection port.

To make matters worse, we use full 1 oz loads with SG16 and Z16 wads, and hulls shorter than 2 1/2" will not hold the load well. So we have a mere 1/16" margin for hull length.

But with Byrdog's hull trimmer coming to the rescue, Cheddite reloads with freshly and precisely trimmed hulls have now been functioning flawlessly in the venerable A-5.

Problem solved, and now on to tackling our chronic quandary with 5 Hi.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:33 am  Reply with quote

Brewster, what press are you using to load your shells? Maybe a 650? More specifically; are you resizing the metal heads in process?

Reason I ask is your post kinda rose a small red flag for me in that I've loaded a bunch of shotgun shells through the years including well over max 20 & 10ga hunting loads (in my magnumitis youth days) and the only time I experienced any noticeable or measurable hull "stretch" is when the hulls were failing from the plastic tube slowly making its way out of the metal head when I forewent the resizing step. Things like cut load slugs and shell/hull walls stuck in barrels were the result, thank goodness I didn't ruin any guns or body parts.

Please take this for what it is, the only reason I am posting this is concern for your health and well being (and the health and well being of your guns to).

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:49 am  Reply with quote

Putz463, I use a recent MEC600jr and full-length resize each time, including metal head. But I also have suspicions about base separation as well. I will cut one in half to inspect the bond.

Thanks for your comment.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

I also shoot a vintage a5 with the same barrel for skeet, cheddite will sometime fail to eject, but no problem with rem

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920