16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Tungsten matrix recipes?
den
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

I found an old box of 3½ shells blown out at 25 a box with 2⅛ of shot, I'm looking to empty the hulls and put them in a cheddite 16 gauge hull. Recipes are nearly impossible to find. I'm looking for something around 1100-1200 fps. These are #1 shot if it makes any difference.

I do also have federal and Remington hulls if cheddite data is limited.

Thanks!
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

A few years ago I ran across a similar deal where the store was closing out their 12ga 3.5" TMs for about $20/box. A friend of mine hunts turkeys with a 3.5" 12ga but uses lead. the shells were dismantled, I took the shot and gave the rest to him. According to Kent the TM acts very similar to lead as far as loading goes. So I just use the load data that I have for lead loads. the loads that I've shot seemed very similar to lead in the same loads. The main difference is that since TM is denser than lead, it must be loaded by weight rather than volume in the bushing. So a load that is correct for 1 1/8 oz lead shot is the same as 1 1/8 oz TM (keeping in mind that it's going to be a size or two smaller bushing).
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

I am interested also , as I have quite a few 12ga loads I thought about cutting apart .

I think that the density is so close to Niceshot that data for NS should be just fine , but If someone has some actual data that would be great .
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

den,

Doubtful you'll find any data for TM as it was never available in the US as a component for reloading. I believe it is (was?) available in the UK at one point.

Personally, I would not simply substitute directly with lead recipes without having the loads tested. It is a different material with different properties from lead. TM is NOT more dense than lead. It's density is reported as being 10.6-10.8 g/cc as opposed to high antimony lead at 11.1 g/cc.

I have a good bit of loaded TM that I'd like to scavenge some of the shot from. I've yet to find any verified TM loading data. Until I find good data or get the urge to test some on my own, I'll just use the factory ammo as is.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
simcgunner
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

Look under archive loads at the Ballistic Products site
den
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

Do I have to worry about size at all? Can a #6 shot recipe be subbed for #1?
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know about TM but #1 Bismuth doesn't pattern very well in any of my 16 gauges. Chokes full, modified, or light modified. TM is more like ITX10 then anything else as far as weight or hardness. Maybe 16gauge waterfowler will chime in. He's more up on notox then anyone else on here. Or perhaps Dave in Arizona, if he doesn't know he'll find out.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

The TM shot that I have is very similar to the Niceshot that I have in both density and hardness . ITX 10 is much much harder than both Nice and TM shot.

The only TM data that I have seen used 4756 , I saw it on here somewhere but can find it . I don't have any 4756 so it really doesn't matter .
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Found it

Fiocchi 1 1/8 oz TM 4756 23.0 Fio 616 VP 80 1218 11,133 Peacore 14FW20

Useless to me . Because I don't have any 4756 and really no need to use the VP80 wad with TM shot

I would feel safe using this load that I had tested with Niceshot

Win SuperX Ched 1 1/8oz #4 Niceshot Steel 25 Fed209a Sp-16 1315 10880 Sd 7fps Ev 16fps Ev 300 psi 5 SHOTS tested by Tom Armburst 7/21/14

and reducing it by one grain of powder .

But thats just me , use at your own risk .
odog59
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

AS FAR AS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN #1 & #6 SHOT, THE SAME WEIGHT OF #1 SHOT WILL TAKE UP MORE SPACE THAN #6 & THAT MIGHT BE A PROBLEM EVEN WITH A 1 OZ 16 GA LOAD. I, TOO, HAVE HAD POOR PATTERNS WITH ANYTHING LARGER THAN #4 IN 16 GA NON-TOX