16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  BP X- Stream spreaders?
grouser47
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone using BP X-Stream spreaders? I want to try my newly aquired 16 ga O/U merkel at a fun charity skeet shoot this Sunday. I have not done any alteration to the full/mod chokes. Now these chokes are so tight that a brass Galazan 16 ga choke gauge won't fit in the barrell. I an aware that European guns, in particular german, are usually under bored. Aside from that will the BP spreaders work & what results have you had?
Cheers!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

If you just need a box or so trim the petals off your regular wad -load as usual and go have fun.I have used the inserts and the best results were achieved with slower powders(Unique)www.ballisticproducts.com
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

One other thing, if you try trimming the pedals off, insert one of the pedals in the shot column, this spreads the pattern even more.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Grouser,

A friend of mine has a Fox Sterlingworth that although marked IC/Mod, patterns 60% with the IC barrel and 70-80% with the Mod barrel with all the different modern loads we had tried. Since he is primarily a grouse and quail hunter, we tried some of these to open up the patterns. They worked GREAT! We were getting 40% patterns with the IC barrel and about 55% with the Mod barrel.

The load was with either 7's (grouse load) 7 1/2's or 8's. I used Winchester compression formed cases and WAA-16 wads. SInce then, I have done some experimenting with an old Browning A-5 that has a full choke barrel. No matter what the load I used, I get 40-45% patterns at 40 yards out of the old full choke barrel on this Browning.

An acquaintance has an old Ithaca 20 gauge double choked IC and full. He uses these in the full choked barrel and gets more uniform patterns than out of the IC barrel with the same loads without the spreader.

They do what they're supposed to and work well.

TMB
________
Mercedes-benz history