16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Kent Diamond Shot 1 oz. Loads
Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has shot these loads? I'm looking for a lower recoil load for pheasants. I see they are 1 oz. at 1,220 fps. Interested in #6 shot.

Problem I see is availability.

Browning BPS Upland Special
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:11 am  Reply with quote

No experience with them. In stock at Midway though.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2584250132/kent-cartridge-ultimate-fast-lead-diamond-shot-upland-ammunition-16-gauge-2-3-4-1-oz-6-shot

Marc

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Two Barrels
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:28 am  Reply with quote

I have a couple of cases of their prior generation load that I purchased years ago. They are marked as Ultimate Upland. The ones I have shot are 1 oz of 7-1\2. I use them on grouse and quail in a Citori Superlight. To be honest, I have not really paid attention to the recoil. They are good shells in my opinion, but I would not consider them a light field load. In #6, I would not hesitate to use them as a 1st barrel load for early season pheasants.
Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Kind of surprising that Kent doesn't make a 1 1/8 oz. load in 16 ga. with approx. 1,300 pfs. That's the basic field load for the 16.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

In the old terminology for describing loads, Dakotazeb, what you describe would be the "Standard High Velocity Load" in 16 gauge -- 3 1/4 Dram Equiv and 1 1/8 oz. of shot, nominally 1295 ft/sec muzzle velocity -- not a "field load". Next one down from that, price and performance-wise, is the "Heavy Field Load", at 3 DE and 1 1/8 oz (1240 fps), Next one down is the "Standard Field Load", at 2 3/4 DE and 1 1/8 (1185 fps), And following that are the "Light Field Loads" at 2 3/4 DE and 1 oz (1220 fps) and 2 1/2 DE and 1 oz (1165 fps). Of course at the top of the scale is the "Magnum Load" 3 1/4 DE and 1 1/4 oz (1260 fps). Normally only the Magnum and the Standard High Velocity Load were loaded in "high brass" hulls. All the rest were normally found in "low brass" hulls. Now, brass height could be almost anything, since a) manufacturers sometimes don't use much variety in their hulls (e.g. Remington), probably for cost reasons, b) we don't have hull "burn through" problems in these modern times, and c) the perception of the "benefits" (almost always dubious) of high brass (or steel) is no longer viewed as a marketing advantage -- an indicator of performance and quality-- especially in the 16, which is a thin market anyway.
Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Guess a bad choice in terminology. When I said "Field load" I was thinking high velocity. Like the loads I carry in the "Field". Very Happy

pumpgun
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Dakotazeb wrote:
Guess a bad choice in terminology. When I said "Field load" I was thinking high velocity. Like the loads I carry in the "Field". Very Happy

Not at all. "Field load" is how I've always referred to any load intended for hunting, be it light, heavy, mag etc. I understand the dram equivalent system, but it's easier to just list payload and velocity of any given load.
Griffon
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

Ditto Pumpkingun

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

No experience with the Kent load but I loaded my own to those specs but used #5 shot with fairly impressive results. Recoil is a little lighter than with my 1 1/8 oz. loads fired at the same speed.

If the quality of the components is up to snuff with what I use to reload, they should be a very satisfactory shell. 1220 fps is plenty fast enough to get the job done.

bbrown
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:40 am  Reply with quote

I have shot and am still working through a case of the 1oz #6s in their Ultimate Upland which was rebranded to what you are looking at. They are excellent shells. The reason I still have part of the case is becasue I ration them, but I have used them effectively clear through the KS pheasant season on wild birds. They pattern well out of my Mod 12 choked WS2, and you don't feel overpowered on the occasional quail that comes up. I would love to score another couple of cases at the $49/ case I bought this one. They are hard to find, but can be ordered.

If you reload, they are Cheddite hulls. The ones I have tend to split after the first or second firing, so they aren't really worth much for that. I have roll crimped them with good results. And for you purple haters out there, they are green. Shocked

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

bbrown wrote:
And for you purple haters out there, they are green. Shocked

-Ben

Green!! I'm a PURPLE POWER fan. But if they work well I'll shoot them. Heck I have a bunch of Kent TM that I bought several years when they closed them out and the are GREEN also. Ballistic Products in the Minneapolis area has them in stock and I'm heading to the Twin Cities tomorrow so I'll pick up a couple of boxes to try. $13.29 a box but that's about as cheap as I've found them.

byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

I have used the " Ultimate " load in #6 diamond shot works just fine but no better than The Federal 1oz load in #6 which is my favorite ots factory load

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 am  Reply with quote

I bought two boxes the other day from Ballistic Products in the Twin Cities area. Heading to Montana next week for a few days of Sharpie and Hun hunting. I'll be giving the a try.

pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:05 am  Reply with quote

I was just about to write a field report on these shells till I saw this post.
I quick .02 cent review.
Pros.
-Kent makes a beautiful shell. Externally and internally. Diamond shot is a beautiful pellet.
-Bright green is a great color for finding them when you drop them down in the long grass. Why B&P switched to mud Brown I have no idea.
-1220 FPS? They sure feel faster at the least recoil is sharper than the RGL. I use both of them the same day and the Kent’s are noticeable faster and more felt recoil than the RGLs. However definitely less than the Noblesport shotshells. Wow. Those things are fast and sharp. Even out of my A5. Speaking of the A5, the Kent’s cycled with no problem on the heavy load ring setup. The RGLs I have to switch to the light load setting.
-Patterning. On the tight side. Perfect for high doves and far flushing snipe. Quail?...I’ll go back to the RGL.
-Availability? For me, nothing locally. Mail order only and even then availability is spotty for the 16ga 1oz 7 1/2’s. Thanks for the link about Ballistic Products carrying them.
-Pricing. I think for what you get here it’s an excellent quality shell for the price. I will buy more in the future as long as I can find them.
-Field Performance. Outside of a couple of stove pipes, I really like this shot shell. I find no fault in speed, recoil or knockdown power. And it’s clean. Out of my sweet sixteen with a precision hunter modified choke it does pattern tight but that’s ok because I’ve had less crips this year than with the same setup and using the RGL’s.
In closing and in comparison to others, this is my new go to shotshell. It use to be the B&P F2 classic but with their on and off again availability over the past few years, I said, screw them. I still believe for me it’s one of the best field performing 16ga shotshells. As to the RGL, well you can’t beat their price, availability, and performance in comparison. As to the Noblesport, wow. That is some strong medicine. As to Feds and Winnie’s......never in a million years. I’ll stay home before I shoot those dirty garbage shells.

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 am  Reply with quote

pbr streetgang
Great post, have you shot any Herter's ammo?
Mike

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Herters-reg-Select-Field-Dove-and-Quail-Shotshells/1601971.uts?slotId=4

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Herters-Select-Field-Pheasant-Shotshells/1601970.uts?slotId=3