16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Citori choke tube options
1DIRT
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

I shot my 16 ga. Citori for the first time last week. Put the full choke in and shot a round if trap, hit 22, very happy with the gun. I use full chokes in all my guns.
hiplainsdrifter
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

I want to put Trulock (or some other quality aftermarket extended) chokes in my 16 White Lightning. Can anyone recommend constrictions based on field experience? I will be chasing mostly sharptail and wild pheasants, and mostly longer shots around here, average flush is probably at about 25-30 yards. I will be using Golden Pheasant or similar ammo.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

My full choke 16 ga. Invector tubes also have about 0.042"- 0.043" constrictions. This much constriction w/ #7.5 or #8 shot might be okay for recreational trap shooting, but I've not needed that much to smash trap singles targets to dust out at 25 to 30 yards. I've been crushing trap singles targets w/ 7/8 ounce #8 shot loads with 16 ga. Invector modified tubes for quite a while.

Perhaps it is best to understand that trap loads and hunting loads require different pattern distributions to do the job at hand. Trap shooting requires more evenly distributed patterns to reliably break these smaller, faster targets. Trap patterns with strong cores but weaker outer rings all to often let trap targets fly through w/o reliably breaking them. We recreational trap shooters who are using our hunting guns end up w/ too many O's and not enough X's on the score sheet. Trap shooting scores and frequent chippy hits do not mix well.

I've found that longer range hunting patterns need strong cores which hold together well enough to cleanly kill bigger birds like pheasant out at longer ranges. I've found from experience that shot sizes larger than #7.5 do not need .042" of constriction to produce useful full hunting patterns with strong cores. I've found that larger shot sizes need less constriction.

For #6 shot hunting loads, I find anywhere from 0.030 to 0.033 produces nicely distributed full patterns w/ strong inner cores. However, I don't use #6 shot for ranges much past 30 yards or so on pheasant. I go to #4 and #5 shot for longer range shooting to cleanly take these bigger birds.

In my experience, both #5 and #4 shot need more open chokes with less than 0.042" constriction to get useful longer range hunting patterns with strong cores. 0.028" to 0.30" constriction gives reasonably useful, very lethal long range hunting patterns w/ 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 oz. of #5 shot out to 40 yards or so. For ranges past 40 yards, 1-1/4 oz. of #4 shot needs no more than .022"-.025" constriction to do the work. Any more constriction than that tends to open the pattern cores with #4 size pellets.
John
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Dave, as others have mentioned, Briley makes some nice tubes for the Citori. The knurled extension makes them real nice to change out. I also have a long tang 16 that I bought the first year they came out. Maybe around 87?

John
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:05 am  Reply with quote

This is a 7 year old thread. The Citori is long gone. I'm a fan of the guns in general, but stock Citori's just don't fit me well. My solution for a 16 gauge O/U that I can shoot well is a pair of older Merkel 200E 12's . Smile
hiplainsdrifter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a 7 year old thread. The Citori is long gone. I'm a fan of the guns in general, but stock Citori's just don't fit me well. My solution for a 16 gauge O/U that I can shoot well is a pair of older Merkel 200E 12's

Well, some of us aren't made of money, and just want a reliable field gun in 16GA. Thankfully, the Citori fits me very well. Not really long gone either, as Browning is making plenty of them. 16gaugeguy, thanks for the useful info.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:53 am  Reply with quote

"My" Citori is long gone.

Sorry you took offense to my post. Good shooting!