16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Buying Tungsten super shot
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Where can I buy Tungsten super shot ? I have been to the loading site but I cant read the script with the background of pellets it is written on. I have poor eye site. besides this doesn't seem to be the retailer. Need a little help

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/collections/shot
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:07 am  Reply with quote

Just curious B-Dog why not bismuth or ITX, not inexpensive but half the cost of tungsten?
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Most everyone I know shooting TSS is buying from Hal, aka hawglips at DHC and SGW. He is outstanding to purchase from. He also has about 40 tested loads, both straight TSS and steel/TSS duplexed loads, and will provide his proprietary load data to customers of his on a non-distribution basis. Highly recommended.

call him at 919.612.two two 70
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hal is good. He goes by Hawglips on turkey sites. www.gobblernation.com Others that sell it are Shooter and Reloader, both at gobblernation. I have bought from all three. Hal has spent a lot of money developing and testing loads. He's been at it for years. Prices have dropped in the past year. I don't know if it's because China has lowered the costs or competition with more sellers around. Federal has announced a TSS load. Interesting to see how that affects the market and Apex. Gil
RLR390
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:12 am  Reply with quote

What shot size other than 7,8,9 or is that all there is?
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:06 am  Reply with quote

The cost is a non issue with me as I believe the ammo I use for hunting is not the place to be cost conscious .All the other expenses accrued in hunting are put at risk by economizing on the most important piece of the activity. The other issue is that bismuth and ITX are not significantly heavier than lead. I am currently shooting Federal Hevyweight at 15gcc at Maxima Canadas and they always hit the ground dead,no cripples. Hevishot 13 works but is less effective and needs to be faster. I have loaded the Heavyweight in 16ga and it is truly a capable gun for hunting these big birds. To do that though I must remove it from a yet more powerful loading. That really does not make sense to do..

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

B-dog, thanks , like I said just curious I read one fellow was using #8 TSS on geese and #9 TSS on ducks. Is this B.S? Again, curious. I might try 7 1/2 on teal
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:16 am  Reply with quote

Some folks have developed and tested 16 ga. loads with the 18 g/cc tss. I've seen patterns and reports of loads up to 1 3/4 oz. A caveat on using the Federal tungsten shot in loads developed for the 18 g/cc shot. The Federal shot is 15 g/cc. which means it occupies more volume per given weight than the 18 g/cc. Unsafe pressures may develop swapping 15 g/cc shot in 18 g/cc recipes and vice versa. Gil
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:10 am  Reply with quote

nobody is doing that

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Ray-citori wrote:
B-dog, thanks , like I said just curious I read one fellow was using #8 TSS on geese and #9 TSS on ducks. Is this B.S? Again, curious. I might try 7 1/2 on teal

Ray,
I've studied and written many thousands of words on ballistic analysis of TSS and HW, what it's ranges and penetrations are on ducks and geese, which would answer your questions above and convince you of the enormous size differences. Here's a link to two posts:

Range comparison: Steel, ITX, HeviShot, HW13, TSS
https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/range-comparison-steel-itx-hw13-tss/

TSS+Steel Duplexing: what sizes?
https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/tsssteel-duplexing-what-sizes/

The short answer is this: TSS #9.5 is about the same as #B steel, and will achieve 1.5" gel penetration (a good guesstimate for mallards) to 65 yards. It will penetrate sufficiently for geese (2.25") to 39 yards. For geese #8 TSS will work out to about 65 yards. If you read up on it and study the field results being posted, you'll see that guys are reporting great success with 7s and 8s on geese, and all the way to 10s on ducks. A 1/2 oz load gives you 4 times the pellets CONSEP recommends for geese, and over twice what the biggest BBB 12ga steel shell sold has.
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
nobody is doing that

And they shouldn't. I've known of folks who feel comfortable removing lead shot from loads and replacing the load with TSS. Just a warning similar to your signature line about always wearing safety glasses. Gil