16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Once-Fired Cheddit Hulls Dimpling at Crimp
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:49 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga -- I have never gotten good results with my GAEP crimp starter. I must be doing something wrong. It seems like it should work, but I just wind up crushing shells with it -- like it has too much friction. I've tried to baby it, but hull crushing occurs before much of a crimp start is formed. I'm not one to lubricate hulls. Does the crimp starter need some special treatment or break-in? Maybe info on your technique and some pictures of your set-up and results would help me. Would you post some, please. Thanks.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:41 am  Reply with quote

MS , I don't use any special technique or lube with geap crimp starter or did it need a break in period . Just set it for the depth I want and pull the handle as usual . Works great on new or previous fired hulls . I do have to spin the hull to line up the folds on previous fired hulls which is no big deal. The folds come out tighter ( like factory )than when using other pre-crimps .
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

My original post is http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17840. Unfortunately the old photos are locked out by Photobucket, but all you need for a clean tight crimp is grind or file down the plastic ribs on the plastic MEC crimp starter like this:

And if you want a tapered shell, a poorman's crimp finisher can be implemented in the MEC 600 Jr by merely turning the finished shell 60 degrees or so in the holder and recrimping it, and repeat 3 or 4 times. It adds a nice smooth taper to the end of the shell.