16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Rough time with dogs
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

Must be the politicians in Ohio are worried about self preservation since most of them are just like a snake in the grass! Smile

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Glad Rustys ok! Thought we had it bad in MN having to worry about our dogs running into wolves , ticks, and connibear traps. If I had to worry about snakes I probably wouldn't hunt.

goathoof
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Something to consider in snake country for the dog is a emergency kit containing the vet's recommendation of meds for a snake bite. I have dexamethasone and penicillin with syringes stored in the fridge for use if needed. Our vet suggested those meds, other vets may advise something similar.
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:03 am  Reply with quote

S16, a buddy let me practice opening one of his Conibear 440's. I can't imagine having a dog to contend with while trying to open a 440. I just hope to never run across one here. Gil
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Gil, The MN Trappers association puts out a "Kit" which is essentially 2 large zip ties and instructions on how to do it. I carry one in my vest. Still, you have to get to your dog in time.Hope it never happens.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Rusty is a little more active today. Better spirits too. Yesterday he was sedate enough to cause me great concern but his vitals signs were good so I basically held him on the couch and let him rest. Snake bite is serious business.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Glad to hear Rusty is better!
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Great news
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 am  Reply with quote

S16, I have tried all the recommended methods on opening the 440 without the large scissored tool made for the purpose. It is difficult at best using all techniques including the MN Trappers Assn method and variations on it with larger zip ties. Fortunately, there is no demand for southern furs as there is for the northern. There is no trapping allowed on WMA's which is where I hunt. Private lands I hunt don't use the Conibear but use the rubberized jaw leg hold trap for coyotes, foxes and bobcats. The traps are cleared during bird hunting season and are used for nuisance trapping and live removal of the animals. However, it is good for all gun dog owners to know how to release a Conibear trapped dog with the zip tie or rope trick regardless of where they live and hunt. Gil
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:07 am  Reply with quote

I have heard that using a belt works fairly well on Conibear traps as well. I am not an experienced trapper, but looking at how the traps are set, it would appear easier to deal with them with an animal caught in them since the animal would actually keep the trap held upright while you compressed the springs.

Most dogs tend to not fight a snare (making it easy to release them) although I imagine a body grip trap would receive quite a struggle initially. With an animal caught in the trap, there is the benefit of the springs not holding the trap in the fully closed and most difficult position. I hope I never need to deal with my dog being in one, but sure would prefer walking up to release him from a trap than carry him down a mountain after a snake bite. Fortunately, trappers tend to do their best to keep traps away from areas where the public and their dogs are active for a variety of reasons.

Rusty is in good spirits this morning and gets to go along on a sage grouse hunt. He will be riding in the truck, and that's probably about it though. He is sore and limping, but it will be good to get him away from the house.

Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Glad to hear the continued good progress reports on Rusty. The horror stories concerning dogs and Conibears revolve around land sets in 5 gallon buckets and an ignorant dog owner having no clue how to open the trap. I've read accounts of owners having to shoot their dog to end the suffering. Even the smaller traps have enough clearance for a dog's head wherein the trap closes the windpipe. The land set traps where legal are usually the smaller Conibears which make spring compression easier than the big 440. It takes considerable strength and ingenuity to open the 440 even with zip ties, belts, ropes or leashes.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Rusty actually wanted out of the truck this morning so I humored him. He hunted for about 20 minutes then ran out of gas. The rest of the morning he was confined to the truck. The two sage grouse I shot were not over Rusty. I tried, but missed that one.

We have some serious coyote trappers in Wyoming, but I have never heard of anyone using 440's. Leg holds and snares rule the roost for coyote work here. The main use for Conibears in my area is beaver trapping or in climbing/ cubby sets for pine martin.

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Damn snakes. Sounds like all is going to be good and I wish him a speedy recovery. He has become sort of a mascot for the site, or it seems that way to me.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Beagleman
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

I had a beagle snake bit 13 years ago today. She was bitten twice. Once in the eye. Once in the side. She never quit running the rabbit. She was blind in her left eye but was an excellent rabbit dog til the day she died May of this year.
The biggest problem with beagles isn't the bite itself, it's the swelling from the bite. They usually get bit in the head and choke due to their collar. Best of luck to Rusty!

canvasback
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:05 am  Reply with quote

Nice to hear Rusty's spirit is still willing even if his endurance has had a setback.

So happy to hear this episode will likely turn out to have been a serious bump in the road and not a catastrophic problem. Clearly, WyoChukar, your precautions have effective.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz