16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  oops, extra unplanned time in the woods
fourtrax
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

Glad the hunter was rescued OK. He kept his head anyway.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4332026-lost-hunter-built-fire-drank-bog-water-survive-3-days-rescuers-pulled-him-minn-forest

wingshooter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Good story, well written, interesting detail and perspective from both rescuers and hunter.

I am also 61, heading into the Mn. grouse woods in a month, and legendary for losing things- especially myself.

Are there women on the rescue teams?

Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

How's this for unwanted extra time in the forest? This is my trail rig Samurai three weeks ago. 5 years of what really amounts to race use over rocks and boulders cracked the housing.
Ten minutes after this happened, my friend started passing a kidney stone. I hiked to the top of the mountain and made a number of phone calls. My cousin came up in a Jeep sitting on 42" tires and got Mike to the hospital.
Two days later I went back with tools and an oxy/acetylene torch, reconstructed the housing, and drove it over the boulders and down the mountain. I have grown weary of crisis management...
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52540_1024x683/] [/URL]][/img]

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

WOW
You are amazing!!
Mike

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,
I really would love to hear more of that story-- like Mike said, it's pretty amazing! And the attitude, just mentioning it as an aside, "Oh, this happened to me last week too...", LOL, just a GREAT delivery! Sounds like you've had enough things like this happen that it's normal... you must be a marine or Jim Bridger descendant Wink

I'm not kidding, I sure hope you take the time to flesh that story out some day, I'd sure read it... heck, it makes me want to fly into Wyo to sit around a fire and hear it in person!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I did have to stitch my own elbow shut last winter, so...anyway, when I have more time perhaps I can post a topic on "when things really go wrong".

Compared to my elbow experience and Rusty getting bit by the snake I guess the axle thing just didn't seem like as big of a deal.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
How's this for unwanted extra time in the forest? This is my trail rig Samurai three weeks ago. 5 years of what really amounts to race use over rocks and boulders cracked the housing.
Ten minutes after this happened, my friend started passing a kidney stone. I hiked to the top of the mountain and made a number of phone calls. My cousin came up in a Jeep sitting on 42" tires and got Mike to the hospital.
Two days later I went back with tools and an oxy/acetylene torch, reconstructed the housing, and drove it over the boulders and down the mountain. I have grown weary of crisis management...
[[i
mg]http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/52540_1024x683.jpg[/img]
][/img]

That ain't so bad,you didn't even bust a brake line Wink
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Having been on a few Potter County Search & Rescue Squads, I know how grateful this particular Grouse Hunter really is, and how embarrassing the event happens to be.

A word of note here, never go into the Forest without a Compass and know how to use it. A modern Back Tracker is nice also, especially when Grouse hunting.

When you are 61 years old consider a hunting partner.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
canvasback
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:47 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Gentlemen,

When you are 61 years old consider a hunting partner.

Pine Creek/Dave

I am Wingshooter's hunting partner and it's a full time job keeping track of him! Razz

If I had one, I'd put a dog GPS tracker on him. Mike gets lost walking to the truck from the motel room.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
fourtrax
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:58 am  Reply with quote

Canvasback,
I have an extra astro & dog collar. Would you give Mike the hand held GPS unit or put the collar on him to track him??

wingshooter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:12 am  Reply with quote

For humor to work, there has to be an element of truth. You guys are too funny.

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
canvasback
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Collar goes on Mike for sure.

From the sounds of things, Steve, you may have a little experience with Mike accidentally going AWOL?

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
fourtrax
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:26 am  Reply with quote

Sunday out hunting I had to refer to the GPS map to find the trail I walked in on.
I went off trail in to a point & could not determine what way to pint to go out.
I had a nice green wall all the way around. Put on the cheaters & read the map & was only a hundred yards in but it's dense out there yet. Get in good grouse cover & it's a little better.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

I used to have an uncanny sense of direction back in my younger years. I can't remember ever being lost, but I've been a bit confused for a day or two a couple of times. Laughing

Actually, I was never lost or very confused if the sun was shining. I had a good memory for visual details like trees, rocks, etc. and could also easily find the cardinal compass points with a watch and the sun. Usually, I didn't need the watch either. I seemed to always remember where the sun was on the way in and where it should be as the day wore on which was enough to get me close to the starting point. Even thick cover or swamps wouldn't get me turned around.

But I once got a bit turned around for nearly a whole day in the Blue Ridge Mountains of SW VA, because it became very overcast earlier than predicted. Being left handed (left side dominant), I realized I'd eventually end up walking in a counter clockwise circle, so I simply widened it by shying to the right every so often. eventually, the woods thinned out enough for me to spot a church steeple. I headed straight for it, and eventually came out near a paved road. A kindly passer by gave me a lift back to my Uncle's farm where I'd started out from. I was a bit weary, but just fine considering.

I'm certain modern GPS devices and cell phones are a huge aid. But batteries tend to run down, and we don't always start out with the devices fully charged. So my best advice is to always go by the sun if it's shining, and commit the details of your surroundings to memory on the way in. Always wear a manual wind or an automatic (self winding) analog watch which does not depend on a battery to keep running. Also, turn around on your path every so often to see what the surroundings should look like on the way back out. Been working for me for a long time. Might help anyone.

I hope so. Being lost out in unfamiliar territory can be spooky and sometimes dangerous if we don't use our common sense and refuse to panic. Keeping one's head is always the wise thing to do.
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

Get a good map of the area, such as a BLM map, get a good compass, LEARN how to use it.
No need for sun, watches, moss growing on the North side of rocks etc.

After 27 years in the military, I became a believer in the proper use of a good compass.

Try it, you will learn a skill, and confidence when you go afield.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...