16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Off Topic: Dog GPS systems
canvasback
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

Parkerman wrote:
I guess I'm like Dave when he started, all I want is a simple unit that tells me where the truck is and where my dog is, it doesn't sound that hard, but it seems that all fo the manufactures want to see how much then can put into the unit which is fine for many people, but I just want a very simple unit and I am sure I am not alone ! Also a screen you can read with out your glasses would be really nice Very Happy

So does someone make this or is it too simple of an idea to sell............. Rolling Eyes

It's what I'd like.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

The Astro 320 can simultaneously show dogs and truck. I usually leave it set on the Compass which has two arrows, red and green, which point to each dog. To find the truck if in the compass setting, I hit the find button and the truck is on the top of the list. Gil
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

I use the Alpha when I am hunting and I keep learning new things I can do with it. It has many more features than I will ever use, but I do find it handy, especially early in the season for finding my dog. Generally I just run 1 dog at a time but I do have it set up for two dogs and I leave the third open in case I want to track a friends dog when he has it down. The screen has room for three pups at once when in the Compass screen and that is where I usually leave it.

One suggestion is to set the training buttons up to only work when the screen is unlocked. I carry the transmitter in the pocket of my vest and I always lock it, or it ends up changing things while bouncing around in there and you could shock your dog for no reason (they are not recessed far enough). If I think I will need use of the training buttons I take it out of my pocket and unlock it while moving in on a pup. It only takes a second to hit that arrow to switch between dogs on the training button. However, what I find annoying is that you can only set up two levels of correction along with the tone button unless you go to another page. Going to another page does take too long. So when I am training my pups I still use my Tritronics Pro. Rotating that dial, or hitting the toggle, is quick.

It takes a season or two to become comfortable with the Alpha but it is a nice unit. The customer service folks are great guiding you through any hick ups you run into.

Good Hunting,
Mike
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:38 am  Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for the tips. I have a couple high prey-drive German dogs, and as long as I can get to some correction in a reasonable time frame I'll be fine. I'm really intrigued by the use of the Fenix watch. It shows the same compass screen as the handheld unit and it just seems like it "should" be easier to manage than grabbing the transmitter. Maybe not...we'll see.
3crosses
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:11 am  Reply with quote

I wish the Astro was louder when dog is on point. I have CHS disease and it needs to scream at me.
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:50 am  Reply with quote

3crosses wrote:
I wish the Astro was louder when dog is on point. I have CHS disease and it needs to scream at me.

At a certain age CHS progresses into both CFS and CRS. There are no cures for the latter two. Good luck. Gil
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

3crosses wrote:

The Alpha vibrates and you can’t miss the sensation. I carry it in my vest and feel it. FWIW I use a bell with my unit and for the most part I pretty much know when and how far away my pup is from the bell. But, I have found that with age my ears don’t locate pup like they used to and they also don’t focus in on a grouse like they did when I was young.

The pheasant look better and better every season that passes. As a fellow member points out there is nothing but blue sky around a pheasant.

Good Hunting,
Mike
fourtrax
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:27 am  Reply with quote

I have both an Astro & an Alha. With the Alpha I went with the tt15 collars.

I PREFER the Astro for simply tracking purposes & have long range e-collars for my outlaw dog. (Mike knows which one). If I'm running a dog or two that MAY need a tap of the beeper or stimulation to turn'em off a porky or Badger the Alpha is both the GPS & e-collar function.
Personally I still prefer the e collar & a GPS unit separate. I find the Astro functional
& simple & I IMO can run a dog better with a separate e collar. I just find the Astro too clumsy (IMO) to be quick with the ecollar function when needed.
The Alpha is a Superior product for mapping & heaven knows many more widgets built into it. The DAM Alpha drives me nuts even with the screen locked as it still goes to the page that says screen locked instead of just leaving the dog compass page up.
IMO touch screen isn't worth a crap in the outdoors (the way I use it anyway). HOWEVER, as I'm an old phart with poor high freq. hearing the VIBRATE dog on point alarm works very well for me.
If I use the Astro I am looking at the screen too much to see if a dog is on point.
I cannot hear any of the audible tones on the Astro (all too high pitched). I'll keep both on hand as I have them presently.

Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

I bought an Alpha a couple months ago. I debated long and hard before spending the money but now am glad I did. I had been using a beeper on my Brittany but with my hearing going south I couldn't hear the beeper all the time. And if you are only running one dog you can set the 3 correction buttons as you mentioned. One for Nick, one for Constant and the other for either tone or vibrate.

The Alpha has 10 times more features than I will probably ever use but it's working well for me. I run my dog in the field nearly every day with the collar. The only time I need to look at it is when the dog gets out of sight. My only complaint thus far has been that when the dog goes on point the handheld will give a tone, vibrate or both and the tone is not audible to me and the vibrate can't be felt unless the unit is in your hand. I sent a product enhancement message to Garmin and recommended that they make the tone adjustable and much louder.

Get the Aplha and don't look back. Very Happy

Browning BPS Upland Special
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Zeb. I do have the Alpha now and just tonight I got it out to start to get things set up. I have that same hearing issue, and I wear hearing devices at work to be able to function. My low tone hearing isn't too terrible, but my high frequency reception is terrible to gone. (mostly gone)

I do have the Garmin Fenix 3 watch and I was pleased with how it alerted me to the point signal with the vibration on my wrist. Quick glance at my wrist showed the direction and distance to the collar. I will need plenty of practice time before we hunt with it, but right now it looks promising.
JoshS
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

hi Dave,

I bit the bullet and got the Alpha last about a year ago. A few things I have found that I didn't see mentioned yet I thought I would bring up.

one is that you can have different pages for the dog controls. I have three pages. one for both dogs, tone for each and correction for my younger pup. The other two are dog specific, (tone, vibrate and correction). There are left and right arrow at the top of the screen to turn through pages. I really don't see it being any slower than running two dogs on one training transmitter anymore. I am also running the TT 15 mini's as a smaller lighter collar I felt was better than the added battery and distance. I have hunted for multiple days and have yet to run out of battery. I also charge mine in the truck each night and have never tested the complete battery lifecycle. BTW I just found that you have the ability to turn a light on the collar with the transmitter. It is a pretty nice addition during low light.

Another thing is the ability to have custom maps. I have a few state specific map chips from onXmaps. They show land ownership and areas are color coded for BLM, NF, State lands, etc. Its really nice when hunting a new area or getting permission for private land. You can also download imagery with the Birdseye from garmin. It has been really helpful being able to look for windmills and such beyond a rise with out having to walk to the top. The birdseye I feel is a neat option to aid in scouting, the OnX maps though make me feel much more comfortable in that I know for sure I have permission to be on the land that I'm on. I'm new to the west and it was daunting at first all the different types of land we have access to here. Those map chips give me piece of mind and also a name to go with private land to ask for permission.

one last thing that I haven't yet been able to use is the feature that allows you and another alpha system to share info. I'm not 100% sure on all that it will allow but will be able to figure it out soon sine another buddy just got his. It looks like you can share your position as well as your dogs with another Alpha. It would be nice to know where buddies are or the direction they are working as an added safety measure.

I think you will like it once you play with it a bit.