16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Finished: Husqvarna mod. 100 hammer gun
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 am  Reply with quote

About a year and a half ago, I picked up this Husqvarna 100 16b off the internet. I was the only bidder, and got it for a low minimum bid. Given the hatchet job on the re-stock, it's not hard to see why:

However, this little 5lb 15oz gun, choked ic/xf with 29" barrels, is the best chukar gun I've ever owned, and has become my go to all around upland gun. After hitting the first ten birds I shot at with it, I knew it was a keeper, so I gave it a full re-do.

After converting to straight grip, adding a 1/2" extension to a checkered butt, raising the comb 1/4", re-checkering and adding grain to the extremely plain stock, adding an internal nylon insert to get one side plate to seat properly, tightening the action, rebluing the barrels and re-laying the bottom rib, and adding a hand made metal forend tip and custom forend chukar art, I'm happy with the result. Given that a new replacement configured in this manner would be many thousands, I figure it was a good investment in time and $. I took it out yesterday on an armed hike, and it's a joy to use:

My setter Briar had a great time too. He doesn't care about my guns, but I never tire of watching him. He just turned eight, so he's starting to slow down now after a couple hours of hard hunting. Sigh.

Last edited by UncleDanFan on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:30 am  Reply with quote

Very nice gun! You probably have this reference?

http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml

Did you have the chambers lengthened? It's an open debate whether it's a good idea anyway, as 2.5 inch or 65mm length shells are fairly easy to buy or make. I have an m51, which I use in cowboy action shooting with blackpowder, and elected to keep 'er short. (Except for the barrels which I refuse to cut from the original 75cm.) That's OK as I have a Merkel Mod 8 that I use when I want to shoot 2 3/4" shells.

Last edited by Carlos on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:42 am  Reply with quote

Yes I do have that reference, thanks. After being a Lefever collector for years, I currently own nothing but Husky's, as I think they are very well made guns with a long lineage, and I think they are an outstanding value. As an aside, go to google earth and look up Husqvarna, Sweden. You can see the factory there. Pretty cool.

This gun does have 2 9/16" chambers. I'm currently shooting 2.5" gamebores and reloads in it, but I wouldn't have any qualms about 2.75" herters loads either. Pressure rise isn't that significant.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
67galaxie
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

That is gorgeous! My friend George Newbern has the twin to your gun
Fireman
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan,
That turned out very nice, I have started looking for a Husky hammer gun myself.....
Lance

16 ga Browing Belgium Auto 5
16 ga NID
16 ga Winchester model 1897
16 ga Winchester model 12 trap
16 ga Remington model 11
16 ga Remington 870
Carlos
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 am  Reply with quote

I went out on our duck opener a couple of days ago. I used a Husky, but in 12 gauge, model 610. My own armoury is in Victoria, so I only have a rifle and a shottie here at my Daughters. Both in very common rounds; 12 ga. and .308, that matched SIL's guns. The 12 came in handy as SIL left his ammo in the truck while we had to paddle over to the tidal marsh. I had to spot him some of my handloaded ROTOMETAL, #5, Bismuth rounds!

Last edited by Carlos on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Fireman wrote:
UncleDanFan,
That turned out very nice, I have started looking for a Husky hammer gun myself.....
Lance

Thanks. I would recommend a mod. 48 or 50, or a 100 series gun. I also have a 103C 12ga with an extra barrel set I fitted from an 103AS parts gun. This is my heavy duck/goose/turkey gun. I also have a mod. 44 16 hammer gun with barnard damscus barrels that is my closet queen/ museum quality gun, and a 1950's 350 modern skeet gun with vent rib and beavertail forend, the only one of its kind I've ever seen for sale.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
I went out on our duck opener a couple of days ago. I used a Husky, but in 12 gauge, model 610. My own armoury is in Victoria, so I only have a rifle and a shottie here at my Daughters. Both in very common rounds; 12 ga. and .308, that matched SIL's guns. The 12 came in handy as SIL left his ammo in the truck while we had to paddle over to the tidal marsh. I had to spot him some of my handloaded ROTOMETAL Bismuth rounds!

Hard to beat a 12 for general duck duty!

Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, a beauty of a job you did on it--as usual. Gil
67galaxie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

I would love to see those! I'm in love with how well my 103cs 16 shoots!
UncleDanFan wrote:
Fireman wrote:
UncleDanFan,
Lance

Thanks. I would recommend a mod. 48 or 50, or a 100 series gun. I also have a 103C 12ga with an extra barrel set I fitted from an 103AS parts gun. This is my heavy duck/goose/turkey gun. I also have a mod. 44 16 hammer gun with barnard damscus barrels that is my closet queen/ museum quality gun, and a 1950's 350 modern skeet gun with vent rib and beavertail forend, the only one of its kind I've ever seen for sale.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, you're a talented guy. Love that chukar art! Neat shotgun.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:18 am  Reply with quote

67galaxie wrote:
I would love to see those! I'm in love with how well my 103cs 16 shoots!
UncleDanFan wrote:
Fireman wrote:
UncleDanFan,
Lance

Deal. I'll take pics of mine if you'll show me pics of your 103cs 16! Very Happy

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave and Gil. Appreciate the kind words Very Happy

Fireman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 am  Reply with quote

Uncle Dan fan,
If you see any deals out there on your suggested gun models please feel free to pm or email me.
Thanks Lance
SxS16ga@mac.com

16 ga Browing Belgium Auto 5
16 ga NID
16 ga Winchester model 1897
16 ga Winchester model 12 trap
16 ga Remington model 11
16 ga Remington 870
gunsrus
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice Mark .